What fiber optic cable does my ATT gateway use?

Flux Azreal

Recently I changed my ISP from Xfinity to ATT fiber, and it works great! Though I need to move the gateway they gave me (HUMAX BGW320-500) into another location, I only have a single service box so I plan on just moving it into a different room with a long fiber cabel and having it connected into the same service box, I tried to do some research on fiber optic cables and it's very overwhealming, theres a lot of stuff like OS1, OS2, OM1-OM5, then theres the little head plug thing and all that stuff, and I think the gateway has a special specific plug, i'm not sure what it's called but it plugs into this port with "SFP" labeled onto it

image.png.0f41ab82d2b1feea69a700a60c3bc130.png

it also has a metal thing that's not in this picture I don't know what it's called but it looks something like this

image.png.e8a5a054f41c5b63017232286011ac31.png

and this is the cable that came with my gateway

image.png.c26ca70a4d14a4ab3a1bce8712588937.png

It doesn't have the mental thing since it seems to be attached into the SFP port on the gateway, I'm thinking of buying this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC9RT9ST?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details but i'm not sure if it's compatible, or if it'll even plug in at all. I'm also unsure if it'll match the speed, currently I have the 1gbps plan

It’s just an optical to SFP transceiver, which you would need to do yourself I think. If it’s 10gbps capable it’s actually an SFP+ one.

3 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

It’s just an optical to SFP transceiver, which you would need to do yourself I think. If it’s 10gbps capable it’s actually an SFP+ one.

Oh I see! I bet that's the thing that actually lights the lazer beam to make it work, so basically the optical cable I've choose should work?

What model is the SFP transceiver? That will tell us what kind of fiber connector it uses, and whether you need single-mode or multimode.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

28 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

What model is the SFP transceiver? That will tell us what kind of fiber connector it uses, and whether you need single-mode or multimode.

Sorry for the late reply, I think I was able to find the packaging the technician left behind when he came to install my service box and modem, do you think this could tell you any meaningful information? All I could pick from it is that it's "singlemode" image.jpeg.ad950d9998604a6a30895b888c8cdf92.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Flux Azreal said:

Sorry for the late reply, I think I was able to find the packaging the technician left behind when he came to install my service box and modem, do you think this could tell you any meaningful information? All I could pick from it is that it's "singlemode" image.jpeg.ad950d9998604a6a30895b888c8cdf92.jpeg

Replacing the transceiver is unlikely to be an option, its an SFP GPON ONT/ONU paired to their network.  Extending the fibre could be, but ideally you never want to unplug the other end as a tiny bit of dust getting in can cause major problems.  Plus extending their network is likely against their terms of service, as any problem you might cause would affect every customer on your node.

You could probably put a small SFP switch or media converter there, but then why not just keep their router there and run ethernet from that?  Its also possible they might run PPPoE from their router/gateway, which you wont know the credentials for.

If this is about optimising WiFi reception, you're far better off running a ceiling mounted Access Point from one of the ethernet ports than moving the whole gateway device.  If its about not wanting to run multiple cables back there, run a single cable to a switch.  For future proofing you could run a 2.5Gbit or multi-gig switch off the gateways 5Gbit port.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Replacing the transceiver is unlikely to be an option, its going to be an SFP+ ONT paired to their network.  Extending the fibre could be, but ideally you never want to unplug the other end as a tiny bit of dust getting in can cause major problems.  Plus extending their network is likely against their terms of service, as any problem you might cause would affect every customer on your node.

You could probably put a small SFP+ switch or media converter there, but then why not just keep their router there and run ethernet from that?

Oh wow that's a bit too technical for me, I was just hoping to order the cable from amazon and unplugging the optical cable from the service box and plugging the new one in, and doing the same for the gateway (i was hoping it would also fit with the SFP thing) and just moving it like that, I was thinking of going for a ethernet solution but i read somewhere going for a long ethernet cable could cause problems and I have multiple devices at the other place I need to put it, and it would cause a lot of problems 

49 minutes ago, Flux Azreal said:

Oh wow that's a bit too technical for me, I was just hoping to order the cable from amazon and unplugging the optical cable from the service box and plugging the new one in, and doing the same for the gateway (i was hoping it would also fit with the SFP thing) and just moving it like that, I was thinking of going for a ethernet solution but i read somewhere going for a long ethernet cable could cause problems and I have multiple devices at the other place I need to put it, and it would cause a lot of problems 

Not at all, the only "problems" are if your link back to their devices has less bandwidth than your broadband itself, or you're running the cable parallel with mains wiring.  What you have is already limited to Gigabit (the SFP ONU), so even a single CAT 5e cable to a Gigabit switch would be fine.  Now if you upgraded to faster Internet, you'd need a 2.5Gbit switch (so going for a CAT6 cable right now is probably a better idea if you're buying a new one anyway) or multi-gig switch, but right now there is no issue using cheap Gigabit equipment.

The general rule is that everything leading up to and including the gateway is the ISPs equipment so you shouldn't be modifying it as it can cause issues for every customer in your area if you mess something up, the laser can blind you (its invisible) and you can introduce dust as a professional should clean the end before plugging it in.  If you've already unplugged it, its probably fine, but generally you shouldn't.  Anything AFTER the gateway you are free to do whatever you want.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

9 hours ago, Flux Azreal said:

It doesn't have the mental thing since it seems to be attached into the SFP port on the gateway, I'm thinking of buying this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC9RT9ST?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details but i'm not sure if it's compatible, or if it'll even plug in at all. I'm also unsure if it'll match the speed, currently I have the 1gbps plan

This cable would be perfect since they use Single Mode APC cable coming in as well, the only thing you need now is a coupler to connect that to the line they have run already.

You need one of these, sadly Amazon doesn't have any single pack connectors that aren't at least 2x the price of a 4 pack, lol:

https://www.amazon.com/Cerrxian-Singlemode-Adapter-Internet-Connector/dp/B075FPJFD3

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Simplex-Singlemode-Internet-Connector/dp/B0989G3G7W/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

10 hours ago, Flux Azreal said:

ough I need to move the gateway they gave me (HUMAX BGW320-500) into another location

Instead of screwing around with the Fiber cable, why not just run an Ethernet cable from the gateway to where you need? Because if you screw up that Fiber cable, who knows when AT&T will be able to come out to fix and how much its gong to cost you because it will be at YOUR expense. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.