Can I run my PC without a Case for 2 weeks?

CosmicMeteor

So I am wondering if I can run my PC build on a box for about 2 weeks till the case comes, Regular use and use times. Ive seen lots of threads asking about temporary usage outside of a case but how about regular use for 2 weeks? What are the main risks?

Yes, small children or pets would be the biggest risk aside from it getting liquid spilled on it.. I would suggest at least finding a way to support the GPU in the pci-e slot if you're going to run one..

Very little risks to be honest. Once that PSU is connected to the motherboard and the wall, the entire setup is grounded and there's no risk of shock. Keep your dumb ass pets away from it. You will have more than usual dust after 2 weeks, so try to wipe that off before installing in your new case. The PCIE slot where you plug in your GPU might be stressed and your GPU might unplug... but ehh it'll be fine.

Obviously don't touch it while it's on. You can easily ground two connectors. Other than that you will be fine.

I use to run my system like this all the time unless reviewing a case (this is from 2005/2006)...

image.jpeg.612b73a23f8fdcba43421f75b51b7c37.jpeg

The concerns I would have is that the components would be fully exposed to the environment and could become damaged from items being dropped on them, as well as the whole thing being pulled off the desk/table it's sitting on and becoming damaged...Since the whole thing isn't effectively one assembly, you don't have all the weight sitting in one place, so it's easily for individual items to be knocked around.

Even something like an air cooler sticking up could be enough to get a hold of, and pull it off the surface it's sitting on. Additionally, some of the passively cooled components won't have any real directed cooling around them, so they will either overheat, or simply run much better than normal. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 minutes ago, si1enze said:

I use to run my system like this all the time unless reviewing a case (this is from 2005/2006)...

That IDE "ribbon" cable is a beauty! I think I had the same one

7 minutes ago, johnt said:

Very little risks to be honest. Once that PSU is connected to the motherboard and the wall, the entire setup is grounded and there's no risk of shock. Keep your dumb ass pets away from it. You will have more than usual dust after 2 weeks, so try to wipe that off before installing in your new case. The PCIE slot where you plug in your GPU might be stressed and your GPU might unplug... but ehh it'll be fine.

Obviously don't touch it while it's on. You can easily ground two connectors. Other than that you will be fine.

Thank you, electric shock and fire were my main concerns!

6 minutes ago, si1enze said:

Perfect thank you! 😄

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The concerns I would have is that the components would be fully exposed to the environment and could become damaged from items being dropped on them, as well as the whole thing being pulled off the desk/table it's sitting on and becoming damaged...Since the whole thing isn't effectively one assembly, you don't have all the weight sitting in one place, so it's easily for individual items to be knocked around.

Even something like an air cooler sticking up could be enough to get a hold of, and pull it off the surface it's sitting on. Additionally, some of the passively cooled components won't have any real directed cooling around them, so they will either overheat, or simply run much better than normal. 

Thank you, I think i have the perfect spot for it to stay safe in the meantime, Ill post pics once its set up. no pets to worry about and it will be out of reach from my kids. 🙂

53 minutes ago, johnt said:

That IDE "ribbon" cable is a beauty! I think I had the same one

It was Way ahead of it's time!

1 hour ago, CosmicMeteor said:

So I am wondering if I can run my PC build on a box for about 2 weeks till the case comes, Regular use and use times. Ive seen lots of threads asking about temporary usage outside of a case but how about regular use for 2 weeks? What are the main risks?

I'm running a 5950x + 3090 without a case for over one year now lol

You'll be fine.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

CATS.

My son can't use his home computer because his cat keeps chewing through the cables (mice, keyboard, Wi-Fi antenna, you name it)

So his $2500 COVID project gathers dust and he uses his laptop.

Yeah, a problem for people who don't have proper  boundaries I know ....but cats don't really care.

I like many, ran folding rigs without cases for years, full out 100% use 24/7....pre bit coin mining...but same thing.

(no cat)

10 minutes ago, John Reactor said:

Put it in cardboard box 😉

spacer.png

That's a fire hazard so no way Jose. 

8 hours ago, si1enze said:

Did the same with my test bench for a few years until I got the case I'm using now.
BTW that's about the same bench as the one I have except mine has a second shelf/level below it for things like the PSU to sit on.

Here's a shot of what I use it for these days with the PSU (1600W Rosewill Hercules) off to the side.

1736257991_Ln2benchsetup.thumb.jpeg.c9458f9ae3ff34589a2a9a746075d38a.jpeg

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

6 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Sefty second 🙂 I can bet  dollars vs penouts that nothing would happen. 🙂

16 minutes ago, John Reactor said:

Sefty second 🙂 I can bet  dollars vs penouts that nothing would happen. 🙂

But of course - Just have a stick and a bag of marshmallows handy so it all doesn't go to waste.
They might taste "Funny" when done though.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

10 hours ago, CosmicMeteor said:

You can run it outside case for as long as you want.

Some people use test bench all the time instead of a case.

How safe? depends on how good you are at keeping it safe.

9 minutes ago, hassanizhar said:

Overheating: The lack of proper ventilation can cause your components to overheat, which can lead to permanent damage or failure.

Err, no, not using PC case basically an open bench, open bench meaning a really huge ventilation, the parts can utilize all the air around it.

Unless you put it near a heater or stove, or store it in an enclosed small cabinet without any real holes for intake & exhaust.

If recirculation of hot air is really a concern just stick a fan or two at one direction.

Point #1, #4 is a valid point of concern though.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

5 hours ago, John Reactor said:

Put it in cardboard box 😉

spacer.png

9/10, some cutouts seem quite "unnecessary"? 😅

13 hours ago, johnt said:

Very little risks to be honest

unless its something like above the risks are pretty much 50/50 ie 50% flat out.

"regular use" in gamer language means tons of doritos, energy drinks and other beverages,  already a high risk with so called "gaming" cases which for some reason offer almost zero protection, especially on the top.

OP: i mean be careful dont put any fluids anywhere near, maybe put a fan or two to blow on the motherboard/  heatsinks ,should be good for 2 weeks, unless you have pets.  Then no.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Did the same with my test bench for a few years until I got the case I'm using now.
BTW that's about the same bench as the one I have except mine has a second shelf/level below it for things like the PSU to sit on.

Here's a shot of what I use it for these days with the PSU (1600W Rosewill Hercules) off to the side.

1736257991_Ln2benchsetup.thumb.jpeg.c9458f9ae3ff34589a2a9a746075d38a.jpeg

Nice.  I got the 'tech station' thing for review years ago, I just used the motherboard tray and card mounting part mostly.

image.jpeg.0a2d348f9c5f367b65442251e33d2f99.jpeg

image.jpeg.44171d69ae6cd778ad9725d01542ba72.jpeg

8 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

What is going to ignite a fire?

What is actually going to burn? If you expect the box to burn then without it the components will burn.

If components get hot enough to ignite a cardboard box then the cooling is faulty and will lead to component failure.

As for electrical hazard, there is nothing at a high enough voltage to even feel.... with wet fingers. The mains voltage goes into the power supply which should be earthed via the power cable.