Samsung S23 Ultra

rippy4500

I want to switch to android from iphone, I find ios frustrating to use sometimes despite knowing it pretty well.

I heard the s23 comes out like tomorrow, should I get one?

my iphone 13 mini battery barely lasts half the day as well which is also frustrating.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

1 minute ago, rippy4500 said:

I want to switch to android from iphone, I find ios frustrating to use sometimes despite knowing it pretty well.

I heard the s23 comes out like tomorrow, should I get one?

my iphone 13 mini battery barely lasts half the day as well which is also frustrating.

I genuinely think you just want to burn money that you just got in the past year. From all of your posts lol.

s22 Ultra was a  pretty harsh flop overall from everything that came about from it. Still a decent phone from all the reviews and stuff, but way to many glaring issues and bugs, some fixed some not.

Im questioning your phone size choice, going from one of the smaller phones to quite literally the largest, are you sure you actually want that? I enjoy big phones cause of my large hands, but most people find them not so enjoyable. 

I would await reviews, never pre-order based on what they promise, only buy on what they deliver.

They just want someone who confirms they should burn some money. Yes, pre-order that darn thing! (if only you could carry along a second battery for your iphone)

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

I genuinely think you just want to burn money that you just got in the past year. From all of your posts lol.

s22 Ultra was a  pretty harsh flop overall from everything that came about from it. Still a decent phone from all the reviews and stuff, but way to many glaring issues and bugs, some fixed some not.

Im questioning your phone size choice, going from one of the smaller phones to quite literally the largest, are you sure you actually want that? I enjoy big phones cause of my large hands, but most people find them not so enjoyable. 

I would await reviews, never pre-order based on what they promise, only buy on what they deliver.

The only reason i bought the mini was because it was the cheapest new iphone at the time and i wanted the faster processor for games.

I will wait for reviews. I do that with most things anyways.

Im just tired of apples nonsense as well. I dont like apples ui too much, and ive tried my friends android phones and they feel more responsive/faster than my iphone.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

12 hours ago, rippy4500 said:

The only reason i bought the mini was because it was the cheapest new iphone at the time and i wanted the faster processor for games.

I will wait for reviews. I do that with most things anyways.

Im just tired of apples nonsense as well. I dont like apples ui too much, and ive tried my friends android phones and they feel more responsive/faster than my iphone.

Are you sure the responsiveness isn't due to higher refresh rates on your friends' phones? I have an iPhone 13 Pro, and it feels very responsive in part due to the 120Hz screen. An iPhone 14 Pro or Pro Max may overcome that part of things. And yes, the 13 mini's battery is the smallest of the bunch... Apple's larger phones last longer.

With that said, if you want to try Android, I would wait until reviews of the Galaxy S23 series pop up (usually a few days before they reach stores). The sweet spot is likely to be the S23+ since it'll have a large screen and battery, but won't include pen input you're unlikely to use. I'd only get the Ultra if you insist on the expected 200MP main camera.

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

Are you sure the responsiveness isn't due to higher refresh rates on your friends' phones? I have an iPhone 13 Pro, and it feels very responsive in part due to the 120Hz screen. An iPhone 14 Pro or Pro Max may overcome that part of things. And yes, the 13 mini's battery is the smallest of the bunch... Apple's larger phones last longer.

With that said, if you want to try Android, I would wait until reviews of the Galaxy S23 series pop up (usually a few days before they reach stores). The sweet spot is likely to be the S23+ since it'll have a large screen and battery, but won't include pen input you're unlikely to use. I'd only get the Ultra if you insist on the expected 200MP main camera.

Nope, they all had 60hz. Apps loaded faster too.

I just want the better operating system. ios feels pretty limited compared to android.

2 hours ago, rippy4500 said:

I just want the better operating system. ios feels pretty limited compared to android.

That's not my experience, and I have a Pixel 6 with a 90Hz display on my desk! Don't get me wrong, it's a smooth phone, but I'd go with the iPhone 13 Pro for anything performance-oriented.

I also don't mind iOS these days, as Android's main advantages now are custom launchers and the occasional sideloaded app. But I also know that these can be precisely what makes it appealing, so... go for it! Samsung just announced the Galaxy S23 line, so pick the one you can best justify (the S23+ would be the sweet spot for me, but the S23U's 200MP camera...).

17 hours ago, rippy4500 said:

Check that there's not something wrong with your iphone. In theory their mobile chips should wipe the floor against any android that's not the latest flagship. Apple is usually the fastest one, just about always.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

I'd like to recommend something other than samsung.  How about Motorola?  You might think who the hell is that?  But they have a very clean android experience, and seem to be very reliable.  My brother has only replace his phone twice in nearly a decade.  Each time, getting a motorolla brand android.

Sony seems like a good option too, excellent audio chip in those, and they have an online website just to explain how to unlock the bootloader, and don't try to prevent it like samsung does.

I  actually encourage you to buy used.  I know, bad batteries, limited software support etc etc.  Yeah, well I'm on android 8, and I plan to keep it that way as long as possible.  No malware, viruses, in fact it must be pver a year or maybe even two, since I've opened the google play store.  Spotify still works, and anything I use now is from f-droid.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.