PC runing too slow for no apparent reason

WereCat

Hi, friend of mine got this system

GTX 760 (MSI Twin Frozer version)

i5 760 2,8GHz

4GB DDR3

in League of Legends he should have stable 60FPS but he got only around 30-40 FPS dropping to 15-20 (medium settings). We tried to run Unigine Valley but on ultra preset he barely get over 30FPS max and usualy keep around 10 FPS average. GPU is not overclocked, CPU is not overclocked. We tried to OC GPU but it had zero effect on performance. We noticed in GPU Z that GPU is not runing 100% while bechmarking but it is usualy around 90% while memmory is around 45% load. This is not issie with energy savings in Windows because we double chcecked if it is and I really dont know what else it could be. Drivers are new and we tried to reinstall them but it did not helped. He is runing Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I dont really know what else to look at.. it is GPU fault or would reinstalling system help? We would like to avoid that. Even browsing feels stuttery and slow.

maybe the cpu is the bottleneck since its a first gen i5?

maybe the cpu is the bottleneck since its a first gen i5?

This crossed my mind too but is it really that bad?

EDIT:

His old GT 540 had better FPS in League of Legends by the way.

This crossed my mind too but is it really that bad?

EDIT:

His old GT 540 had better FPS in League of Legends by the way.

Nah, it's not that bad. I can actually game pretty well with an old Q6600.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

so if we conclude it is not the cpu then , maybe a faulty GPU maybe ? , what are the temps like btw ? , maybe thermal throttling ?

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

also what MB is it ? might need to see about Bios Firmware update possible ?

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Could it be that over time that the hardware wears out over time, perhaps?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

also what MB is it ? might need to see about Bios Firmware update possible ?

2GB version and temps are 48 celsius degrees in load

motherboard - MSI P55-CD53

Could it be that over time that the hardware wears out over time, perhaps?

possible , i was think insufficent power but then realised that then the pc would not turn on :3 .. maybe run dignostics and try to determine from that what might be wrong ?

Current Build : 

Laptop:

CPU: 

possible , i was think insufficent power but then realised that then the pc would not turn on :3 .. maybe run dignostics and try to determine from that what might be wrong ?

That BIOS update is worth try, I will post after we try it.

Could the computer be very dusty and it's making the components throttle? That's the first thing that came to my head.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

How old is the PSU? And what brand/model?  I have seen an issue where if you go above 70% RMS on the psu it will cause an issue with the PSU not supplying enough power, it wouldn't cause the GPU to throw an error as it is still within "Norms."  

NEARLY SOUNDS like the gpu isnt being used and youre getting iGPU results.

If not, maybe the gpu is throttling hard

did you plug the hdmi/dvi cable into the mobo or the gpu?

Thanks for replies guys, I will check all of these suggestions because it is really difficult as my friend lives over 500km away from me and he is not on skype often.

NEARLY SOUNDS like the gpu isnt being used and youre getting iGPU results.

If not, maybe the gpu is throttling hard

lol I hadn't thought of that but it would fit perfectly. Only an iGPU can get less than 60 fps on league of legends, certainly not a 760.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

lol I hadn't thought of that but it would fit perfectly. Only an iGPU can get less than 60 fps on league of legends, certainly not a 760.

So ... It is runing out of 760 not iGPU and while updating bios might help he is afraid to do that.

damn. then I'm afraid you just got a faulty product. make sure you reset all parameters before returning it though, or the warranty might not be valid.

by the way have you tried using another gpu on that pc? so you can make sure it's not a motherboard issue. or you could try mounting the 760 on your own pc and see if it works fine there (while you have the card he could run on the igpu so he can still use the pc).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

damn. then I'm afraid you just got a faulty product. make sure you reset all parameters before returning it though, or the warranty might not be valid.

by the way have you tried using another gpu on that pc? so you can make sure it's not a motherboard issue. or you could try mounting the 760 on your own pc and see if it works fine there (while you have the card he could run on the igpu so he can still use the pc).

As I said above.. it is not me but my friend that lives over 500km away so I cant personaly troubleshoot it which is a big issue because he is afraid to do some stuff because he thinks that he may broke something. He said to me that he is considering to buy new CPU along with MOBO. While this may resolve that problem which is a big probability there is still risk that it may be faulty GPU or PSU or something. But as I cant personaly chcek and it is really big pain in the ass explaining what to look on BIOS on over phone or skype without actualy personaly looking at it there are 2 options left... risk it and get new components or take his PC to someone who knows what he is doing but he will probably charge money for it.

Anyway thanks for help but I think that there is nothing that I or you can do without perosnaly manipulating with it which may resolve problem easily but it is really hard to do woth non tech savy person remotely.

I know you said you've tried this already but try changing to other power settings like balanced/high performance. We had a forumer here not too long ago who had the similar issue and turns out he needs to change from high performance to balanced. I highly doubt that

CPU is bottlenecking the system especially for LoL tbh.

You can also try to run driver sweeper after uninstall the driver to get rid of most traces of the old driver and try reinstalling.

But honestly, just try fresh install of windows. I've seen so many cases where hardware swaps messes up the OS. 

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

you have to tell him its a critical part of all pc building.  Updating your BIOS fixes allot of problems and adds features. 

you have to tell him its a critical part of all pc building.  Updating your BIOS fixes allot of problems and adds features. 

I did.. he is scared that if something goes wrong he wont be able to play until summer because he got no money for new motherboard now.

I did.. he is scared that if something goes wrong he wont be able to play until summer because he got no money for new motherboard now.

Has he got DualBIOS or usb biosflashback? 

Has he got DualBIOS or usb biosflashback? 

He got single BIOS, it is AMI BIOS.