My M.2 is not writing fast enough

Jakubman625

Hello,

I have noticed that my M.2 is writing really slowly and sometimes whole PC is frozing while downloading a game. I have Operating system on my 1TB Kingston M.2 SSD. It's writing slowly than my Samsung SSD (which is not M.2). 

I added an Screenshot from CrystalDiskMark. Thespeeds are really weird. The M.2 starts downloading pretty fast and after 20s it immidiately goes down to speed about Kb/s and after 5 mins it goes back to going fast, lasts 20s and againg goes to kb/s. That is weird and it's slowing me down in working with the computer. 

Do you know where could be the Problem? More specs are on my Profile specified. 

Thank you for your Help! 🙂

image.png

7 minutes ago, Hope Noble said:

Hi there, 

are you using an AMD system? 
If yes pleas go into your BIOS/UEFI settings and check to what gen/speed the NVMe M.2 SSD is set. 
Sometimes it's set to gen 1 or 2 for some reason. If you set it to gen 3 or 4 depending on what your system 
supports you should get better speeds out of your drive. 
It also depends on what drive you have. You say kingston can you tell us the model please?

Hello, 

Yes I'm using an AMD system. I've already been in the BIOS but I haven't found where I can see the speed and gen of the NVMe SSD. The SSD is: Kingston SNVS1000G.

2 minutes ago, Hope Noble said:

You usually find that setting under the Advanced tab and then on PCIe device configuration. 
That also depends on your board. Make sure it's in the right slot as well. 
If your mainboard has 2 slots put it into the one that's closer to the CPU because 
that will be the one that is directly connected to it. 

I only have 1 slot on the Motherboard for a NVMe SSD, I will restart my Computer and I will try to find the settings in the BIOS. 

Check drive health with CrystalDiskInfo, post it, and trim the drive (Win explorer - select drive - rclick- Properties - "tools" tab -  optimize)

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Check drive health with CrystalDiskInfo, post it, and trim the drive (Win explorer - select drive - rclick- Properties - "tools" tab -  optimize)

The Health of the drive is 97%, and In the Bios is NVMe settings but it only has Self test. I have optimized it now and the PC is doing optimizing weekly. 

1 minute ago, Jakubman625 said:

The Health of the drive is 97%, and In the Bios is NVMe settings but it only has Self test. I have optimized it now and the PC is doing optimizing weekly. 

Isn't the drive near full ?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

5 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Isn't the drive near full ?

It is but Even when it had 100Gbs of free space, it was freezing 

3 minutes ago, Jakubman625 said:

It is but Even when it had 100Gbs of free space, it was freezing 

Well the more a SSD is full the slower it is, it works well under 70% then start to slow, full it's a slog

So make space, and TRIM it 

52 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Well the more a SSD is full the slower it is, it works well under 70% then start to slow, full it's a slog

So make space, and TRIM it 

You were calling? :3

1018627094_Screenshot(682).thumb.png.602ccff14bbe2088bf656656aea3f69c.png

evo 870, ~2 years old, 99% health,  mostly used for recording high bitrate videos (daily). But tbh i always do trim/defrag on all my hard-drives at least once a month. Overprovisioning is off, although I guess Windows does so by itself,  500mb or what?

i mean i know you're trying to help and sure why not, especially trim, but it shouldn't get slow at just 70%?

1 hour ago, Jakubman625 said:

Do you know where could be the Problem? More specs are on my Profile specified. 

Thank you for your Help!

Hello!

Could you provide a full sreen shot of this crystaldiskmark result? its kind of difficult to see what is what, also is this a pcie3 or pcie4 nvme hard-drive? 

Do you know if it has a Dram cache also?

Edit: my prematurely judgement of the situation is, maybe this is normal?

We're not too far off from advertised speeds and this is likely a "budget" sdd, and likely without DRAM cache.

you could definitely try @PDifolco 's suggestions, but im not sure its going to do much, however keep an eye on it, speeds may drop even more which could be a problem, ~1500 shouldn't really be a problem though (again, prematurely, because i cant really do much with the screenshot im the OP)

Sequential Read/Write

2100/1700 MB/s

Edit: what version of crystaldiskmark is this anyway?  maybe you could try a different one? 

0mb read certainly seems strange,  if that was true your pc should literally stop working ~

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

You were calling? :3

1018627094_Screenshot(682).thumb.png.602ccff14bbe2088bf656656aea3f69c.png

evo 870, ~2 years old, 99% health,  mostly used for recording high bitrate videos (daily). But tbh i always do trim/defrag on all my hard-drives at least once a month. Overprovisioning is off, although I guess Windows does so by itself,  500mb or what?

i mean i know you're trying to help and sure why not, especially trim, but it shouldn't get slow at just 70%?

Hello!

Could you provide a full sreen shot of this crystaldiskmark result? its kind of difficult to see what is what, also is this a pcie3 or pcie4 nvme hard-drive? 

Do you know if it has a Dram cache also?

SSD are known for getting slow when becoming full, got the 70% mark here

https://pureinfotech.com/why-solid-state-drive-ssd-performance-slows-down/

17 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

SSD are known for getting slow when becoming full, got the 70% mark here

https://pureinfotech.com/why-solid-state-drive-ssd-performance-slows-down/

ok, but i have 7 and this isnt true for any of them?* i mean in my screenshot at 81% its actually faster or at advertised speeds... it definitely didn't get slower, maybe all that trimming paid off?? (we're not gonna mention the dramless Kingston thats like 3mb/s, on a good day! xD)

ps: see? faster than advertised!

994156966_Screenshot_20230129-000559_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.png.202a6ae354f00a8930e4590a8d8b15d9.png

i gotta say the evo 870 is besides the evo 850 the best ssd i ever had... and its *cheap* too...

the mx500 is pretty good too, but its already at 95% health after just a couple of years~

*jury is out on the 980 nvme though,  dramless, i think its already starting to slow down, most likely will have to refund it soon... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

ok, but i have 7 and this isnt true for any of them? i mean in my screenshot at 81% its actually faster or at advertised speeds... it definitely didn't get slower, maybe all that trimming paid off?? (we're not gonna mention the dramless Kingston thats like 3mb/s, on a good day! xD)

Alright, so I have uninstalled a game which had like 160GBs, The read is very good but the Write isn't as fast as it was advertised. It should be something like 1700MB/s. The NVMe SSD is: Kingston SNVS1000G, so you can have a look at it's specifications. My Motherboard is Aorus A520 Elite.  

image.png

4 minutes ago, Jakubman625 said:

Alright, so I have uninstalled a game which had like 160GBs, The read is very good but the Write isn't as fast as it was advertised. It should be something like 1700MB/s. The NVMe SSD is: Kingston SNVS1000G, so you can have a look at it's specifications. My Motherboard is Aorus A520 Elite.  

image.png

ok, yeah, that is definitely weird..

write should be a lot higher for sure.

i tried looking but i didn't find if it has a dram cache or not (but my guess is *not*)

Do you still have warranty?  if yes and this continues i would definitely try to get it replaced or refunded. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Jakubman625 said:

image.png

I have an NV2, which is supposed to be a bit better than yours, but these are just not great drives.

I also experience freezing of my system while downloading/installing a game.

I actually researched that same problem after experiencing those issues and you either have to deal with it or upgrade. 

Both, the NV1 and NV2, are about as cheap as you can go. They are perfectly fine for just gaming, but man they are slow when you consistently write to them.

I am already looking to buy something else...

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

2 minutes ago, mapegl said:

I have an NV2, which is supposed to be a bit better than yours, but these are just not great drives.

I also experience freezing of my system while downloading/installing a game.

I actually researched that same problem after experiencing those issues and you either have to deal with it or upgrade. 

Both, the NV1 and NV2, are about as cheap as you can go. They are perfectly fine for just gaming, but man they are slow when you consistently write to them.

I am already looking to buy something else...

yeah... i bought a Kingston once... never again... made the whole system unstable too. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

yeah... i bought a Kingston once... never again... made the whole system unstable too. 

The NV1 and NV2 are ok on a budget, which I totally was when buying. There is no meaningful difference while gaming when compared to better SSDs, but they are just not great for high writing loads.

Tom's Hardware has tested the NV1 and their numbers on consistent write speed mostly line up with OP's findings. 

Sorry to say it, but our drives just suck.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

As I told before, My normal SSD is more stable than the NVMe SSD. Installing a game on it was actually faster than installing it on the NVMe SSD. It's weird and I don't know what's wrong with it. But maybe the SSD is better, because it's from Samsung. They have very good SSDs. Maybe I will Buy a Samsung NVMe SSD. This one from Kingston is horrible. Freezing a whole system while installing a game. That's bad 😄 

8 minutes ago, Jakubman625 said:

As I told before, My normal SSD is more stable than the NVMe SSD. Installing a game on it was actually faster than installing it on the NVMe SSD. It's weird and I don't know what's wrong with it. But maybe the SSD is better, because it's from Samsung. They have very good SSDs. Maybe I will Buy a Samsung NVMe SSD. This one from Kingston is horrible. Freezing a whole system while installing a game. That's bad 😄 

I had the same experience. The thing is that the connection may be faster, but the actual performance is worse. You Samsung SSD can probably consistently and fully utilize its sata connection, while the nvme drive could be very fast, but can only write very little data after a short burst. 

I would suggest something like a 970Evo Plus. It is a bit cheaper than the 980 and has enough performance for a gaming machine. 

Or check Tom's Hardware and their up-to-date comparison:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ssds,3891.html