Possible use of old desktop parts?

I have no idea if this is doable, practical, advisable, etc...

I have the mobo, the GPU, the RAM, the PSU of my prior desktop. Everything but drives and the case. The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3
Is there any way I could put this all in a simple case, run it on my home network to act as a video and music server and possibly even a seedbox?

Or is this system, regardless of its age, more processing power than something like this needs? We own a larger apartment now than we used to live in and this system could literally live in another room out of the way so I wondered before I sell off this old system on ebay if anyone had ever done this before or if there were perhaps more elegant, simpler solutions for the same thing with a tiny Rpi or something (I also have an extra one of those).

Thank you!

For simple stuff like that, that board should be able to do a fine enough job. If you already own it, I'd say give it a shot, though there are definitely more compact solutions, including some with a RPi if you want to go that route instead. 

It's most likely more then what you need for just a fileserver for home use. Not sure what a seedbox is... But if that particular thing doesn't need video, you don't even have to bother with a GPU. Just set it up once, and let it just start up and sit there.

21 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

more compact solutions, including some with a RPi

What would be a more compact solution and would a Rpi version be any less efficient?

i've used old desktops as home server / network storage duty for around 10 years.

1 minute ago, tinpanalley said:

What would be a more compact solution and would a Rpi version be any less efficient?

a raspberry pi would be slow as all heck, the platform is NOT built for nas duty at all, unless maybe some CM4 module that pulls a propper gigabit, and propper SATA chipset out of the PCIe interface, but at that point you're into the price terretory of an x86 desktop.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i've used old desktops as home server / network storage duty for around 10 years.

a raspberry pi would be slow as all heck, the platform is NOT built for nas duty at all, unless maybe some CM4 module that pulls a propper gigabit, and propper SATA chipset out of the PCIe interface, but at that point you're into the price terretory of an x86 desktop.

Right so my old system makes more sense. I just dont know how much it's worth selling if I can't get anything for it anymore. I still also have the CPU but if I'm not going to make much for it, I thought why not keep it and stop using my desktop to stream my music and video from?

How does this all even get set up? Surely, I don't leave a monitor connected to it, but then how do I troubleshoot a single system without visuals? And can I even get a small ATX case JUST for the mobo/CPU?

(I also have an old Lenovo Y580 laptop I want to sell if that in any way helps for this application instead?)