New PC turns on then off only when you press the power button

FearDragon

I just built my new PC but when I press the power button the lights turn on and the lights spin up then it stops. I thought it was a power supply problem but it was a power supply from my old PC and the old PC worked fine about 4 hours ago. I ended up in plugging the power switch connector from the case and tried shorting the power pins with a screwdriver. It turns on then stays on and posts. When it tried to plug the power switch connector back into the motherboard while it was on it immediately turns off. But the thing is earlier I noticed a pin bent on the front panel header, specifically the pin labeled in the manual as "NC". I tried to bend it back before I pulled in the front power switch. Could it be a power switch problem or a motherboard problem?

My PC specs:

Ryzen 9 7950x

Asus strix x670e-f

Corsair hx 850 platinum

Noctua nh-d15

Lian li lancool 3

32gb g skill flare ram

Asus TUF rtx 4070 ti

If the power switch is shorted it could be acting as though it’s being pressed and held down at all times.

If you have a multimeter, set it to “beep mode” and check the two wires of the power switch. If it’s always beeping, then your power switch is the problem.

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

NC is not connected, there shouldn't be anything there.

What if you connect the reset button instead?

When I plug in the connector and hit the reset button nothing happens. I would also like to mention that in this case all front connectors are in one connector labeled POWER_SW

3 minutes ago, FearDragon said:

When I plug in the connector and hit the reset button nothing happens. I would also like to mention that in this case all front connectors are in one connector labeled POWER_SW

What case do you have?

Disregard, I see you have a Lian Li case

Edited by Harmsway1283