4k Monitor choices.

Sillyputty

I just want to start by saying I have read the pinned topic on picking a monitor. That being said, I would still appreciate some input.

Background Info: Building a new PC to replace my old one that is 8 years old or so (GTX 970 GPU). Parts are picked out and ordered, some have arrived and some I'm waiting for or need to go purchase still. Will be building it in the coming week or so.

GPU will be a 7900 XTX.

The one thing I just don't have much experience at all with is monitors and despite watching a bunch of videos an reading a bunch of review there is just so many variables that I'm worried I will miss something. Right now I'm leaning towards the Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 S32BG75(based on rtings/other reviews), but I have a few concerns. I have never used a curved monitor before and I'm not sure what to expect as far as general use versus my old 1080p flat ones. I also really like having two monitors so I will probably end up just keeping one of the two I currently have and using that but it is 1080p and I'm not sure if that will cause problems with a newer 4k monitor or just different resolution in general. My understanding is it won't but they will be different sizes as my current ones are 27" I believe.

I mostly game, consume media, with a small splash of picture editing on occasion. Environment is dark frequently.

I have also looked at the LG 32GQ950-B as well but my understanding is the VA panel in the Samsung is probably more suited for my setting.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, comments, concerns? I have seriously considered upping my budget and trying for an OLED but as was pointed out in the how to pick a monitor thread they are all quite a bit bigger and I'm not sure they will fit on my desk comfortably, so that coupled with the cost increase and risk of burn in makes me a bit hesitant.

Thanks for any input, have a good one everyone!

If you up the budget go for QD-OLED Alienware AW3423DWF it is same price as LG 4K

13 minutes ago, Sillyputty said:

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 S32BG75

This is not a 4K, It's 1440p wide. I personally don't like it and rather have standard 4K monitor. 

MSI Optix MAG281URF  is a quite a decent unit for a lower price point.   

21 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

If you up the budget go for QD-OLED Alienware AW3423DWF it is same price as LG 4K

This is not a 4K, It's 1440p wide. I personally don't like it and rather have standard 4K monitor. 

Neo G7 is absolutely 4k. In fact, everything in the G7 line except the original G7 is 4k (Neo is 4k mini-LED, second gen is 4k IPS, only the original is 1440p VA). 

15 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Alright, on the amazon posting I now see the Samsung has a listed Resolution as 3,840x2160 but a Display resolution of 2560x1440. And now I'm back to being confused.

Noted on the Alienware.

image.png.002c6dcfbf8b4a196a8a5decc5d850b2.png

This is what I'm referring to on the Amazon listing. I guess the vertical res is 2160 so that would be 4k not 1440, I think. But then I don't understand why the display res is different.

3 minutes ago, e22big said:

Neo G7 is absolutely 4k. In fact, everything in the G7 line except the original G7 is 4k (Neo is 4k mini-LED, second gen is 4k IPS, only the original is 1440p VA). 

2 minutes ago, Sillyputty said:

Alright, on the amazon posting I now see the Samsung has a listed Resolution as 3,840x2160 but a Display resolution of 2560x1440. And now I'm back to being confused.

Noted on the Alienware.

I googled that Samsung model and opened first Amazon link, It was 1440p ultrawide, I didn't look at exact model.

If budget allows  Alienware AW3423DWF is a best gaming monitor on the market I'd argue. 

44 minutes ago, Sillyputty said:

I just want to start by saying I have read the pinned topic on picking a monitor. That being said, I would still appreciate some input.

Background Info: Building a new PC to replace my old one that is 8 years old or so (GTX 970 GPU). Parts are picked out and ordered, some have arrived and some I'm waiting for or need to go purchase still. Will be building it in the coming week or so.

GPU will be a 7900 XTX.

The one thing I just don't have much experience at all with is monitors and despite watching a bunch of videos an reading a bunch of review there is just so many variables that I'm worried I will miss something. Right now I'm leaning towards the Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 S32BG75(based on rtings/other reviews), but I have a few concerns. I have never used a curved monitor before and I'm not sure what to expect as far as general use versus my old 1080p flat ones. I also really like having two monitors so I will probably end up just keeping one of the two I currently have and using that but it is 1080p and I'm not sure if that will cause problems with a newer 4k monitor or just different resolution in general. My understanding is it won't but they will be different sizes as my current ones are 27" I believe.

I mostly game, consume media, with a small splash of picture editing on occasion. Environment is dark frequently.

I have also looked at the LG 32GQ950-B as well but my understanding is the VA panel in the Samsung is probably more suited for my setting.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, comments, concerns? I have seriously considered upping my budget and trying for an OLED but as was pointed out in the how to pick a monitor thread they are all quite a bit bigger and I'm not sure they will fit on my desk comfortably, so that coupled with the cost increase and risk of burn in makes me a bit hesitant.

Thanks for any input, have a good one everyone!

There will be more smaller OLED coming this year, it's probably worth giving a wait. 

Although if you want 4k high refresh with top grade HDR, Neo G7 is your only option without going TV. But to be fair, 42 inches isn't that big. And like the guy above said, Alienware QD-OLED is also an option (have basically the same PPI as 4k 42 inches but if you have a space for ultrawide you also have a space for a 42-43 inches TV, they are literally the same size, just tall)

The main problem with Neo G7 is that it's not that bright for an LCD and while it's definitely better than OLED, it's also not quite as effective as OLED at local dimming (of which the latter doesn't require any altogether.) Local dimming kinda suck for anything other than HDR, it can cause a visible blooming or slow down transition between scens which can affect your game play experience. 

You can find other monitor option with decent HDR capability like Sony Inzone or Cooler Master Tempest series but neither of them are as good as Neo G7 (but they're also not curve, not have any viewing angle issue, can get really, really bright and fast enough for most situation) 

*Photo editing's probably not ideal on Neo G7 but if you aren't doing something super professional, it's fine to be doing some photo on a VA

3 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

I googled that Samsung model and opened first Amazon link, It was 1440p ultrawide, I didn't look at exact model.

If budget allows  Alienware AW3423DWF is a best gaming monitor on the market I'd argue. 

As usual, always refer to rting or other review site for any monitor spec - or at the very least, Samsung's own website (not reliable even then but better than some random Amazon sellers)

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 S32BG75 Review - RTINGS.com

4 minutes ago, e22big said:

As usual, always refer to rting or other review site for any monitor spec - or at the very least, Samsung's own website (not reliable even then but better than some random Amazon sellers)

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 S32BG75 Review - RTINGS.com

I did check Rtings later, But I wanted to see price, That's why I visited Amazon first. 

35 minutes ago, e22big said:

There will be more smaller OLED coming this year, it's probably worth giving a wait. 

Although if you want 4k high refresh with top grade HDR, Neo G7 is your only option without going TV. But to be fair, 42 inches isn't that big. And like the guy above said, Alienware QD-OLED is also an option (have basically the same PPI as 4k 42 inches but if you have a space for ultrawide you also have a space for a 42-43 inches TV, they are literally the same size, just tall)

The main problem with Neo G7 is that it's not that bright for an LCD and while it's definitely better than OLED, it's also not quite as effective as OLED at local dimming (of which the latter doesn't require any altogether.) Local dimming kinda suck for anything other than HDR, it can cause a visible blooming or slow down transition between scens which can affect your game play experience. 

You can find other monitor option with decent HDR capability like Sony Inzone or Cooler Master Tempest series but neither of them are as good as Neo G7 (but they're also not curve, not have any viewing angle issue, can get really, really bright and fast enough for most situation) 

*Photo editing's probably not ideal on Neo G7 but if you aren't doing something super professional, it's fine to be doing some photo on a VA

I would be willing to wait but I have already been waiting for 6 months to start buying components. So at this point I would need to get something so I can use the new PC once it's build and then wait for the newer ones to come out. But then it becomes a do I buy a cheaper monitor now in anticipation of getting a different one this year or spend a bunch now and take the loss.

The 48" and such TV's are also quite a bit more expensive. Although the AORUS FO48U 48" 4K OLED 3840x2160 is about the same as the G7. The others from the Rtings site range from $1400 - $2100 I have not looked a ton at these as again this was not my original thought but just looking at OLED ones.

That being said I assume I would loose some features as well just being more TV style then probably don't have a lot of adjustment physically.

Lastly my curved comment from before. Do most people seem to get use to it and like having a curved monitor or not?

To add more to your list of options, there is the Cooler Master GP27U, a 4K 27" mini LED IPS monitor with local dimming zones. Provides some of the dark contrast of an OLED (but not as good) while eliminating burn I'm risk. Not curved, so that won't be weird for you.

Also, INNOCN has just released two mini LED monitors with more local dimming zones than Cooler Master. Have a 27 (27M2V) and 32 inch (32M2V) version. I just bought the 27 and will have next week.

5600x/RTX 4080

“1. Never tell everything at once.” - Ken Venturi's Two Great Rules of Life

18 hours ago, Sillyputty said:

blI would be willing to wait but I have already been waiting for 6 months to start buying components. So at this point I would need to get something so I can use the new PC once it's build and then wait for the newer ones to come out. But then it becomes a do I buy a cheaper monitor now in anticipation of getting a different one this year or spend a bunch now and take the loss.

The 48" and such TV's are also quite a bit more expensive. Although the AORUS FO48U 48" 4K OLED 3840x2160 is about the same as the G7. The others from the Rtings site range from $1400 - $2100 I have not looked a ton at these as again this was not my original thought but just looking at OLED ones.

That being said I assume I would loose some features as well just being more TV style then probably don't have a lot of adjustment physically.

Lastly my curved comment from before. Do most people seem to get use to it and like having a curved monitor or not?

I would say looking for deal, unlike monitors, TVs tend to get a lot of discount at the end of its product lifecycle (and price can also varied a lot by location)

I got my C2 42 for like less than 800 bucks. I do actually prefer LCD for its versatility but at that sort of price, it's hard to argue with OLED. If you target the 42-43 inches, there's both this C2 which is excellent for what it doesn and QN90B (which is actually pretty slow overall but should be usable) for much cheaper and still going to give you a great HDR experience.