Is buying a miners 6700xt for 300 eur worth the risk?

Viesulis

Common wisdom says "no issues" but this presupposes the miner treated the card right, and unless you know this, I'd pass personally (but I'm the odd one out here...)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Include the price of new thermal paste + pads in the cost of the used card. I recommend replacing both. You might also want to confirm it has regular firmware installed.

Just now, Budget DIY said:

Include the price of new thermal paste + pads in the cost of the used card. I recommend replacing both. You might also want to confirm it has regular firmware installed.

How can I tell its normal firmware? 

Just now, Viesulis said:

How can I tell its normal firmware? 

Sniff it a bit, scratch it on the back. Look for a colour change.

Wait, I don't know how to check for the current firmware installed. But I do know that there is lots of software out there to check current firmware on the card. Google can really help you out there. (it's just something I would look into, if I'd be buying such a card from a miner, miners at times put in mining firmware)

17 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

Wait, I don't know how to check for the current firmware installed

snark is pretty useless

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

36 minutes ago, Viesulis said:

The choice is between a new 667

50xt or used 6700xt

6700XT... confirmed miner... no warranty. Unkown use in terms of potentially custom BIOS, maintenance, repairs... I would say 300 is for a card, thats never seen an overclock or mining. At best, the card is worth $200 with proper documentation of use and service. If the seller cant produce that info, its worth $100-150. With the recent cracked core incident, the miners better be ready to give answers and then some...

9 minutes ago, PriitM said:

6700XT... confirmed miner... no warranty. Unkown use in terms of potentially custom BIOS, maintenance, repairs... I would say 300 is for a card, thats never seen an overclock or mining. At best, the card is worth $200 with proper documentation of use and service. If the seller cant produce that info, its worth $100-150. With the recent cracked core incident, the miners better be ready to give answers and then some...

I'm sorry do you live in the same reality as me? Go on ebay and look athoe much 6700s are selling for 

50 minutes ago, Viesulis said:

I'm sorry do you live in the same reality as me? Go on ebay and look athoe much 6700s are selling for 

I did and prices are dropping below $300. Only some high end custom cards go between 300-350. But at any price, used items should be scrutinized. Especially so after a mining boom. Dont forget, this the SECOND boom. First boom with RX 500 series cards taught plenty good lessons on what to look out for. Im not questioning your reality, different areas have different listings targeted to you. Just be very careful, its not worth the risk at this price point. I know it may pain you to hear this, but please consider saving up a little more and getting a card under warranty.

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Common wisdom says "no issues" but this presupposes the miner treated the card right, and unless you know this, I'd pass personally (but I'm the odd one out here...)

according to the guy selling it it was a miner with 500+ cards

1 minute ago, Viesulis said:

according to the guy selling it it was a miner with 500+ cards

Personally? I would never buy an ex-mining card...but I"m in the minority here on that

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, PriitM said:

Also what cracked core incidents?

8 minutes ago, Viesulis said:

Also what cracked core incidents?

Ask for a week of personal warranty from the seller and test the card extensively. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

6 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Ask for a week of personal warranty from the seller and test the card extensively. 

Hes giving me two months, and i know where he lives and works so hes not getting rid of me that easily

Dude what ?!?!? €300 for an ex-miner 6700XT ?!?!? How on earth is that a good deal when brand new it goes for €416. €100 less in not worth the risk of cracking a chip as we see recently or having a dying memory in 2-3 months. If you don't have the €100, just ask a friend to lend it to you for a month or two and buy a new one, not used. This GPU, especially when it's ex-miner shouldn't cost more than €175, €200  tops.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

1 hour ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Dude what ?!?!? €300 for an ex-miner 6700XT ?!?!? How on earth is that a good deal when brand new it goes for €416. €100 less in not worth the risk of cracking a chip as we see recently or having a dying memory in 2-3 months. If you don't have the €100, just ask a friend to lend it to you for a month or two and buy a new one, not used. This GPU, especially when it's ex-miner shouldn't cost more than €175, €200  tops.

Look on ebay, no 670xt costs under 280

Also ive already bought it, it was irresistable, the guy showed me furmark running for 20 minutes while we talked

its 50% more for me to buy a new one so ill just take this risk 

Some people just have the common mindset that once the part leaves the original owner hands that it will fail instantly. Not sure how they can even function like that. 

Cards were failing way before the mainstream mining came a lot. Crappy products and less than intelligent users. 

No reason not to get one. Do your up maintenance and don’t get the lower end products. Cheap enough to go get another one if it fails. Same as anything else in life. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 1/25/2023 at 11:38 AM, Viesulis said:

The choice is between a new 667

50xt or used 6700xt

Can you afford to lose 300 bucks? If the answer is no, don't buy it.

7 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Can you afford to lose 300 bucks? If the answer is no, don't buy it.

Meh its gonna be fine, runs perfectly

Short answer: NO!

Long answer: If they can give you 1 year warranty on the card, 1 to 1 exchange in 6 months, and you trust that miner/seller, then maybe yes. Else, NO!

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

7 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Short answer: NO!

Long answer: If they can give you 1 year warranty on the card, 1 to 1 exchange in 6 months, and you trust that miner/seller, then maybe yes. Else, NO!

I did research, it should be fine unless i get very unlucky, the card runs fine and is in perfect visual condition, its gonna be fine. And i did buy it