Net Neutrality Explained for EVERYONE

piggykid1

I'm not fully understanding net neutrality do you guys have a somewhat simple way of explaining it?

Thanks!

Every website/server gets equal treatment. For example here in Canada Rogers and ISP provide internet and cable TV. What rogers can do it slow down Netflix traffic, so people will buy more cable TV ecause Netflix is slow. Net Neutralirty doesn't allow Rogers to do it.

Basicaly, the ISP can't intentionanly slow down a particular website/ or a server.

Every website/server gets equal treatment. For example here in Canada Rogers and ISP provide internet and cable TV. What rogers can do it slow down Netflix traffic, so people will buy more cable TV ecause Netflix is slow. Net Neutralirty doesn't allow Rogers to do it.

Basicaly, the ISP can't intentionanly slow down a particular website/ or a server.

Makes sense now thanks

It is a way to make sure ISPs cant use their networks the way that they want to use their networks.

They invest hundreds of millions in building a network, but the FCC like to think they have a say in what they can and cant do with it.

It is a way to make sure ISPs cant use their networks the way that they want to use their networks.

They invest hundreds of millions in building a network, but the FCC like to think they have a say in what they can and cant do with it.

You seem to think net nuetrality is a bad thing? Don't go full RE****.

If you build a road, you have to let every one drive on it. You are allowed to charge people for it. But for example you can'y say "No black people in this road". That's netnuetrality in a nutshell. You are allowed to charge people for using your network, but you cannot discriminate.

If you build a road, you have to let every one drive on it. You are allowed to charge people for it. But for example you can'y say "No black people in this road". That's netnuetrality in a nutshell. You are allowed to charge people for using your network, but you cannot discriminate.

If I pay for a road with my own money, then I will do what I want with that road.

It is a proven fact that government intervention kills businesses, and prevents people from creating wealth.

Exactly, I wouldn't even want to think about ISP's throttling the hell out of bandwidth for streaming services.. or even gaming,.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

Exactly, I wouldn't even want to think about ISP's throttling the hell out of bandwidth for streaming services.. or even gaming,.

There are laws to protect against stuff like that already.

If I pay for a road with my own money, then I will do what I want with that road.

It is a proven fact that government intervention kills businesses, and prevents people from creating wealth.

I consider myself extremely capitalist friendly.  With that said, it's also a proven fact that without government intervention businesses will poison water, air, create monopolies, etc.  Their intervention should always be limited but this idea that they should never ever get involved is some utopian fantasy. 

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

There are laws to protect against stuff like that already.

Doesn't stop them doing it though. ISP's can be right cunts.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

CGPGrey uploaded an video that finally explained net neutrality to me and other not so tech techies in an easy way. Might also help some other people here.

"Lost in the woods, but DAMN these trees are cool!"

Nice video, I also found this one quite interesting, it shows some of the more reasonable justifications from the ISP's side too

nice post  B)

ninja approved :ph34r:

Details separate people.

For balance we should also have the opposing arguments against Net Neutrality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTshrURtcjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X8WY_Dq1Vg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juw5Ew_fKgs

(all links from ReasonTV YouTube channel)

CPU: Intel 4770K 3.5GHz RAM: 16GB Corsair vengeance Pro 2400MHz MOBO: ASUS Z87-WS GPU: Nvidia Quadro K2000 PSU: Corsair RM650W

• 2 weeks later...

I thought i would make this thread to encourage some more discussion on this. Hopefully we can have a civil discussion about why this is a bad thing for the American people and why it COULD have implications across the pond. Even though i'm not from the USA it still worries me. The FCC was put there to serve and protect the internet rights of the American people, and it's not doing that. Also, a lot of people not from the USA are still worried about this as it will only be a matter of time before it spreads to Europe, the EU and the rest of the world. America will be know as the country who eroded your rights to free speech.

A lot of people really don't understand how this is going to affect them, whether you are from the USA or not. The fact people are having to fight for this is a breach of the US Constitution. Free speech is a right, not a privilege. It is the American people who must fight it. The rest of the world depends on you. You've done it before, you can do it again.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

There has been alot of discussion this topic probably should be waited for a few days before discussing so we get all the facts.

This is going to freak up the internet big time!

Anyone got some ideas on how to stop it? (Like maybe starting a petition and getting a ton of names on it we could have linus say something about it in a video!) 

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

There has been alot of discussion this topic probably should be waited for a few days before discussing so we get all the facts.

I understand that, but the more discussion on the matter the better. May help some people to really understand what is going on.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

I understand that, but the more discussion on the matter the better. May help some people to really understand what is going on.

Good point lets not turn this into  a " BURN THE FCC TO THE GROUND " Kinda thing

Anyone got some ideas on how to stop it? (Like maybe starting a petition and getting a ton of names on it we could have linus say something about it in a video!) 

HAPPY 1,111TH POST!!

Corsair 230T Black with red LEDs • AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core • Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+  Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (2 x 4GB) Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB (2 x4GB)  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB • Corsair RM 650W • Windows 10 • Logitech G403 + G810 • Audio Technica ATH-TAD300 • 1TB Seagate HDD x 2 256GB SanDisk SSD

Hopefully they will make a video about it. It will certainly be brought up and discussed in tomorrows WAN Show.

I saw somewhere that there are laws that specifically prevent the Net Neutrality problems that are going on with the FCC in the US. Being a Canadian along with a lot of people here including Linus Media Group, I am curious how this could effect us specifically. Obviously the same debate could come to the CRTC, but with the exception of that, does the decisions made by the FCC really effect us at all? 

I may be missing some points or have general mis-information, but all this talk of the Net Neutrality in the US has me wondering what happens to me and other Canadians. Hopefully others are somewhat interested too.

I thought i would make this thread to encourage some more discussion on this. Hopefully we can have a civil discussion about why this is a bad thing for the American people and why it COULD have implications across the pond. Even though i'm not from the USA it still worries me. The FCC was put there to serve and protect the internet rights of the American people, and it's not doing that. Also, a lot of people not from the USA are still worried about this as it will only be a matter of time before it spreads to Europe, the EU and the rest of the world. America will be know as the country who eroded your rights to free speech.

A lot of people really don't understand how this is going to affect them, whether you are from the USA or not. The fact people are having to fight for this is a breach of the US Constitution. Free speech is a right, not a privilege. It is the American people who must fight it. The rest of the world depends on you. You've done it before, you can do it again.

Contrary to popular believe, free speech is a costly and scarce thing. Free speech in the accepted sense is to agree with what ever is the popular believe of "society"  The FCC and all the other similar branches of what "society" wants us to believe is the governors of free speech are actually tools used to condition our minds to accept what they want us to. How many of us on the interwebs have been the focus of "random surveillance" by the authorities. 99% of us won't ever know the answer to that question. 

There is no way to stop it. If there was, Edward Snowden would not be taking refuge in Russia or where ever he is.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

We need to overthrow the FCC! Not really.. But I'm really curious why the people can't even vote on FCC laws.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

. . . . The FCC was put there to serve and protect the internet rights of the American people . . . .

No, it was not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Communications_Commission

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent agency of the United States government, created by Congressional statute (see 47 U.S.C. § 151 and 47 U.S.C. § 154) to regulate interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite, and cable in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories.

Formed June 19, 1934; 79 years ago

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

-=|Fighting computer ignorance since 1995|=-