Waveshare 8.8 IPS Side Monitor No Display on Startup

SithHellscream

I have recently setup a waveshare monitor to use a sensor display screen. I have setup a sensor panel with Aida64 and all works great.

However everytime I start my PC, I only get a black screen. I can see the PC recognises the monitor (display settings and NVIDIA Control Panel), however nothing I do gets a display on the screen.

The only thing I have been able to do to get a display is to unplug the USB-C cable from the monitor and plug it back in again. Almost instantly, my sensor panel appears and all working.

I have tried different USB ports on the back of the motherboard and almost bought new HDMI and USB to USB-C cables in case it was the cables that came with the monitor, still no difference.

All other USB devices work perfectly, except a similar issue with my Corsiar Virtuoso headphones. I can see iCue and windows recognises the headphones, but I can't get any sound from them until I unplug them and then plug them back in again.

PC details are:

MB: Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero 

GPU: Asus ROG Strix LC 3090 Ti OC

Power management is set to GameTurbo (High Performance) and USB selective suspend setting is disabled.

Waveshare support not being a lot of help at this stage but still sending emails to and from to troubleshoot.

i7-13700K | Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | G.Skill Trident Z5 6800 CL34 DDR5 32GB | Corsair H170i ELITE LCD AIO | Asus ROG STRIX LC RTX 3090 Ti OC | Asus ROG Thor Platinum II 1200w 80+ Platinum | Corsair 7000D Airflow Full Tower |

Oh forgot the below details might be needed:

Windows 11 Home

Display Drivers: Up to Date

BIOS: Up to Date

i7-13700K | Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | G.Skill Trident Z5 6800 CL34 DDR5 32GB | Corsair H170i ELITE LCD AIO | Asus ROG STRIX LC RTX 3090 Ti OC | Asus ROG Thor Platinum II 1200w 80+ Platinum | Corsair 7000D Airflow Full Tower |

You may need to reset your drivers. Win + Ctrl + Shift + B 

Give that a try and see what happens.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

13 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

You may need to reset your drivers. Win + Ctrl + Shift + B 

Give that a try and see what happens.

Hey,

Thanks for idea, hadn't tried that yet.

Did a reset and then a restart. Nope, didn't appear to have worked. Screen is recognised like usual, but still no display.

37 minutes ago, SithHellscream said:

Hey,

Thanks for idea, hadn't tried that yet.

Did a reset and then a restart. Nope, didn't appear to have worked. Screen is recognised like usual, but still no display.

This could be a waveshare thing, I'm am not too familiar with the software myself. It could be interacting with your display drivers that is not normal. Try uninstalling the waveshare see if everything reverts to normal. If so re-install and see if it works then and if it works after that, maybe you had a corrupt install. If it still doesn't work maybe the software or the installer has an issue.

That is my best guess.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

48 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

This could be a waveshare thing, I'm am not too familiar with the software myself. It could be interacting with your display drivers that is not normal. Try uninstalling the waveshare see if everything reverts to normal. If so re-install and see if it works then and if it works after that, maybe you had a corrupt install. If it still doesn't work maybe the software or the installer has an issue.

That is my best guess.

Hey,

To my knowledge, no software with the waveshare monitor. Operates like a standard monitor however just USB powered (could be wrong). No drivers on their website for their monitors. Although waveshare tech support did mention something about USB firmware online, as well as unplug the HDMI and replug the HDMI to see if that would work. Didn't say for me to update/download just that they might have to update the firmware for my MB and that it might take some time to do due to CNY.

Have unplugged and uninstalled drivers and then connected again and reinstalled drivers. No change, still no display on startup.

I can see the drivers for both monitors are the same for Generic Monitor (Microsoft 21/6/06) drivers. Apparently these are up to date. Drivers for GPU are NVIDIA and up to date.

Refresh rate and resolution are all correct for Waveshare (60hz) and 1920x480 resolution.

Could it be a power to USB problem? Can't find anything in BIOS though. Monitor is being recognised due to HDMI cable, just no power automatically to the monitor until system recognizes it has been plugged in? (wild guess here, running out of ideas).

Going beyond my knowledge now but I can see in the event viewer there is a warning error for this monitor.

Event ID 442 Kernel-PnP

Device settings for DISPLAY\___3132\5&163aff05&0&UID4354 were not migrated from previous OS installation due to partial or ambiguous device match.

Not sure if it means something, researching at the moment.

• 10 months later...

I have the same little monitor and the same problem. I have it hooked to a 7900XTX. I had it plugged in to USB (for power) on the back of my monitor (Gigabyte M32U) but have since moved it to an Anker AC-powered USB charging bank to eliminate any USB data issues. As the OP says, I have to unplug and replug the USB power cable for the display to turn on.