Low Frecuency at PC start on AMD 7950X

Chancla
Go to solution Solved by glenalz81,

Given Armoury Crates reputation i wouldn't put it past that software being the problem.

When I start my PC theres a window of time where windows reports ~2.75Ghz instead of the baseline 4.5Ghz of this processor, everything runs slow and then after some time for some form of wizardy windows reports the normal frecuency and everything starts working normally. Any clues what might be going on?

System:

Processor: AMD 7950X

Motherboard: ROG STRINX X670E-E GAMING WIFI

RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENTZ5 6000 Mhz 64GB 4x16GB

SSD: Samsung 980 Pro

AIO: Corsair H170i Elite

The temps seem fine when it is at low GHz so I dont't think theres thermal throttling, assuming that is even a posibility here.. thinking of maybe a bad mount against the AIO. I'm also attaching screenshots of task manager vs armoury crate processor frecuency reports which differ.

processor_at_start.PNG

processor_temps_at_low_ghz.PNG

task_manager_vs_armory_crate_processor_frecuency.PNG

Given Armoury Crates reputation i wouldn't put it past that software being the problem.

Welcome to the forums!
Any chance there's a BIOS update?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

5 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

I've removed it and now windows is reporting the normal frequency and everything is working smoothly. I don't know if it had to do anything with the software or just that it suddenly got to work again. I'll need to see if the issue comes back.

1 minute ago, OddOod said:

Welcome to the forums!
Any chance there's a BIOS update?

Apparently there is a new version 0805, from CPU-ZI'm reading that my motherboard is running version 0705 🤦‍♂️

Definitely worth a shot. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

After shuting down the PC and turning it back on, the issue is no longer there... guess it was armoury crate's fault... I will anyways go ahead and update the BIOS.

Thanks everyone