Can I move my NVME to another slot so I can get a new NVME

AceHarry22

Hello, 

I have a question regarding getting another SSD to out in my NVME slot. I have the ASRock B550 Pro4 motherboard. Currently, I have the Inland Professional 1 TB SSD in the top slot under the M.2 armor heatsink (which I got when i intially built my PC about 3 years ago). I would like to get the Samsung 980 Pro SSD 2TB PCIe NVME Gen4 to add more storage. Would I/ should I move the Inland SSD to another port that would have no heatsink and put the Samsung 980 Pro in the top slot under the heatsink? I have read that putting the Inland SSD in another slot may slow it down. So I'm not too sure what I should do and was hoping I could get some advice. I have attached the links below and appreciate the help!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089W2ZTHF?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4XjJ7P/inland-professional-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-1tb-nvme-premiu

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RK2SR23?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

the drive that you are currently using is a gen 3 drive installed in a gen4 slot.
If you get the 980pro which is a gen4 drive , you should install it in the gen4 slot(the slot where your current ssd is installed in)

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

6 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

the drive that you are currently using is a gen 3 drive installed in a gen4 slot.
If you get the 980pro which is a gen4 drive , you should install it in the gen4 slot(the slot where your current ssd is installed in)

Also, per the manual, SATA 5/6 will be disabled, or if already in use, the second M.2 slot will be disabled.

image.thumb.png.fe9b28db7e0ff230baf8884fb7054dba.png

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

23 hours ago, Srijan Verma said:

So the current one I am using I should move to another slot and put the 980pro in the top M.2 Slot. Am I correct on that. That will make them both go the same speed and I should have no problems? Thanks

23 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

Also, per the manual, SATA 5/6 will be disabled, or if already in use, the second M.2 slot will be disabled.

image.thumb.png.fe9b28db7e0ff230baf8884fb7054dba.png

So if I am not using the SATA 5/6 I would be able to use the second M.2 slot with no issues. So I would move my current Inland to the second M.2 slot and put the 980 Pro in the first M.2 slot and would have no issue. Thanks

8 hours ago, AceHarry22 said:

That will make them both go the same speed and I should have no problems?

not the same speed, the 980pro is a much faster drive 😄

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

2 hours ago, Srijan Verma said:

not the same speed, the 980pro is a much faster drive 😄

Yes my apologies. So moving the drive I have now and putting the 980pro in the slot one will make them perform good with no issues of I do that.