Best cooler for i7 4770k in bitfenix prodigy (air or water)

Wasn't sure if to put this thread in air or water cooling so here.

ever since I over clocked my temps have sparked up. They are now on idle around 50-60 celcius. They were normally in the 30s.

my mobo is a gigabyte z87n.

so what's the best cooler? Thanks.

ever since I over clocked my temps have sparked up. They are now on idle around 50-60 celcius. They were normally in the 30s.

What cooler do you have right now? The Prodigy doesn't have great airflow, so I would suggest a Corsair H100i.

EDIT: I dun goofed. I forgot about the front 230mm fan.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Noctua NH-D15/NH-D14 or an H110/H105/H100i

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

whats your budget?

1- best cooler is a custom water loop @ 360mm of cooling or better (h320 is in this league)

2- second best is a 240mm All in One Unit

3- Third place will go to a dual tower heatsink like the NH-D14 \ NH-D15

4- In fourth place is a 120mm All In one unit

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

for the normal Prodigy both are good, i would even say air because with a 230mm fan in the front you will have amazing air flow. i currently have a Prodigy M with a Air cooler in it and ITS A PAIN IN THE ASS TO BUILD IN!!!!!!

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

What cooler do you have right now? The Prodigy doesn't have great airflow, so I would suggest a Corsair H100i.

Prodigy has great airflow?

whats your budget?

1- best cooler is a custom water loop @ 360mm of cooling or better (h320 is in this league)

2- second best is a 240mm All in One Unit

3- Third place will go to a dual tower heatsink like the NH-D14 \ NH-D15

3 and 2 are mixed up, the D15 beats the H110 and H100i ;)

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

NH-D15 Will not work on your board

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I would go with a watercooler top be honest.  The problem with most ITX motherboards is that the CPU socket  isn't far enough away from the pci-e slot to allow room for the graphics card.  I couldn't even get a Hyper 212 evo to fit on mine.  I used an H80i and it barely fit.  A single 120 rad AIO will probably be your best bet.

Noctua NHD-15/NHD-14 or an H110/H105

Those aren't going to fit with the motherboard.

EDIT:  Take a look at my gallery pics to see what I mean by the clearance issues.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

for the normal Prodigy both are good, i would even say air because with a 230mm fan in the front you will have amazing air flow. i currently have a Prodigy M with a Air cooler in it and ITS A PAIN IN THE ASS TO BUILD IN!!!!!!

Oh yeah... I completely forgot about the front 230mm fan in the front. Please ignore my previous post. If it fits, try to get a Noctua NH-D14/15 or a Noctua NH-U14 if you want a high end air cooler. H110, H100i, and the H105 are all great AIOs too.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Thats just what you read on the internet. Have you personally tested the NH-D15? I havent but from what I have seen its only 1-2C better than a D14. 1-2C could be a margin of error.

I am confident an extreme water 2.0, H220, H220x or glacier 240, will smoke a dual tower air unit

I would go with a watercooler top be honest. The problem with most ITX motherboards is that the CPU socket isn't far enough away from the pci-e slot to allow room for the graphics card. I couldn't even get a Hyper 212 evo to fit on mine. I used an H80i and it barely fit. A single 120 rad AIO will probably be your best bet.

EDIT: Take a look at my gallery pics to see what I mean by the clearance issues.

what gfx card do you have? I have a 780 sp do you think the h80i could squeez in? Btw my current cooler is an asetek 550LC

I would go with a watercooler top be honest.  The problem with most ITX motherboards is that the CPU socket  isn't far enough away from the pci-e slot to allow room for the graphics card.  I couldn't even get a Hyper 212 evo to fit on mine.  I used an H80i and it barely fit.  A single 120 rad AIO will probably be your best bet.

what gfx card do you have? I have a 780 sp do you think the h80i could squeez in? Btw my current cooler is an asetek 550LC

EDIT:  Take a look at my gallery pics to see what I mean by the clearance issues.

It was my last build but I had an MSI GTX 660 TI OC/PE.  The size of the card won't matter too much.  You can fit the cooler in but just be patient.  And most of all, install the radiator first!  I can't stress that enough.  I had to take apart the entire build to get enough room to move around in the case.  Also, having an extra pair of hands really helps.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

So what do you think? Maybe a corsair h90 with nocuta nf-a14? Would that work?

Prodigy has great airflow?

Not true. the AIO's narrow the D15 out by a little. Plus AIO's look cooler and are more compatible with different RAM types and cases.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Not true. the AIO's narrow the D15 out by a little. Plus AIO's look cooler and are more compatible with different RAM types and cases.

The D15 addressed the RAM Compatability issues with the fin cutouts.  

http://youtu.be/emFN5KeGGnc?t=4m52s

Accidentally time stamped that whoops.  

I don't only look at temps, I look at the fact that they are more silent and tend to last longer than AIOs

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Imo most 140mm single tower air coolers will beat 120mm AIOs in price and noise. Some, like U14S, even in performance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Get the NH-U14s if performes almost as good as an h100i but is much much quieter. Forget watercooling if you care at all about noise.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s