PC won't boot after reseating CPU. Does post

KingUnicorn
Go to solution Solved by KingUnicorn,

Update:

I was tired and decided to take it to a tech at a store I trust. Took a whole day but they said the CPU is dead and the motherboard is dead as well. Both likely due to a short. I guess I just gotta be more careful and discharge static better. I really appreciate the time and all the solutions given. Guess it's time for an upgrade.

I guess now the real question is AMD or Intel?

Edit: marking this as the answer even though there wasn't any real solution other than replacing everything

I had to move the CPU in my main rig into a new system I'm building in order update the bios. The new CPU on the other system was never put in mine. Now that I've put the processor back into my system it won't boot. The CPU error light is lit on the motherboard and I get what I think is three long beeps. I'm fairly sure they're long because the normal post beep is shorter than it. The fans also seem to default to 50%. No actual hardware change has occurred, it's effectively just reseating it. I've tried reseating the memory (three short beeps on an AMI bios is a memory error) but that didn't change anything, and the CPU light is still on. Could it be I need to flash the bios on this system? Or am I just SOL and need a new processor?

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

CPU cooler: Corsair hydro series H60

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus

Memory: 16gb (2x8) G.Skill ripjaw V

Gfx card: EVGA RTX3070ti (rip in peace the GPU division)

Storage: 1 intel 1TB m.2 ssd (boot), 1 Seagate 1TB hdd, 1 128GB SATA SSD (forget the manufacturer)

PSU: EVGA 650 G3 (650W)

The motherboard it was put into is an ASUS B550m-a (non wifi)

Again I'm wondering if I need to flash the bios on my system. Would the CPU somehow be changed in an update on a different board? It worked just fine on the other system, so I'm hoping (praying) it isn't bricked. Appreciate any help and the time 

The smartest idiot you will ever find

And here I just realized I put it in the wrong section. I'm quite smart. Should I repost in troubleshooting where I was intending to put this?

9 minutes ago, KingUnicorn said:

And here I just realized I put it in the wrong section. I'm quite smart. Should I repost in troubleshooting where I was intending to put this?

I reported it to the mods to have it moved to Troubleshooting.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

44 minutes ago, KingUnicorn said:

I had to move the CPU in my main rig into a new system I'm building in order update the bios. The new CPU on the other system was never put in mine. Now that I've put the processor back into my system it won't boot. The CPU error light is lit on the motherboard and I get what I think is three long beeps. I'm fairly sure they're long because the normal post beep is shorter than it. The fans also seem to default to 50%. No actual hardware change has occurred, it's effectively just reseating it. I've tried reseating the memory (three short beeps on an AMI bios is a memory error) but that didn't change anything, and the CPU light is still on. Could it be I need to flash the bios on this system? Or am I just SOL and need a new processor?

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

CPU cooler: Corsair hydro series H60

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus

Memory: 16gb (2x8) G.Skill ripjaw V

Gfx card: EVGA RTX3070ti (rip in peace the GPU division)

Storage: 1 intel 1TB m.2 ssd (boot), 1 Seagate 1TB hdd, 1 128GB SATA SSD (forget the manufacturer)

PSU: EVGA 650 G3 (650W)

The motherboard it was put into is an ASUS B550m-a (non wifi)

Again I'm wondering if I need to flash the bios on my system. Would the CPU somehow be changed in an update on a different board? It worked just fine on the other system, so I'm hoping (praying) it isn't bricked. Appreciate any help and the time 

You did check that no pins were bent in the socket and the CPU was in the correct orientation?

1 minute ago, Matt129 said:

You did check that no pins were bent in the socket and the CPU was in the correct orientation?

Since they're using a Ryzen 3600, that would be AM4, which only has pins on the CPU. The socket just has holes and contact points inside the socket.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

5 minutes ago, Matt129 said:

Triple checked that it was orientated correctly. No pins in the socket. I didn't look closely but a quick glance at the CPU pins didn't look bad, and it went in smoothly. I set it on my desk pad pin side up when I originally took it out after I cleaned it. I can check again if it's really necessary, though I'd rather not if I don't have to

1 minute ago, KingUnicorn said:

Triple checked that it was orientated correctly. No pins in the socket. I didn't look closely but a quick glance at the CPU pins didn't look bad, and it went in smoothly. I set it on my desk pad pin side up when I originally took it out after I cleaned it. I can check again if it's really necessary, though I'd rather not if I don't have to

If possible, can you check to see if it's fully seated in the socket?

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

If possible, can you check to see if it's fully seated in the socket?

How would I be able to tell if it's not? It went in smoothly and there was no issue pushing down the retention bar. Block for the cooler put pressure on it as well

6 minutes ago, KingUnicorn said:

How would I be able to tell if it's not? It went in smoothly and there was no issue pushing down the retention bar. Block for the cooler put pressure on it as well

Honestly, it's probably a bit of a stretch to be able to see it. It's probably not visible. But if it was visible, it would be sticking up. You'd see it from the side of the socket. I'm also not convinced the CPU would necessarily be pushed down the cooler's mounting pressure. I was in a similar situation, and I thought I had unbent all the pins on the CPU, and put the CPU in the socket, and pushed down the lever. Didn't feel any resistance, and put the cooler on. System wouldn't boot. I took the cooler off and looked at the CPU in the socket. It was sticking out partially, which meant the pins were bent. 

If it's impossible to get a view of it, then the only way to verify it is to remove it from the socket. 

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Honestly, it's probably a bit of a stretch to be able to see it. It's probably not visible. But if it was visible, it would be sticking up. You'd see it from the side of the socket. I'm also not convinced the CPU would necessarily be pushed down the cooler's mounting pressure. I was in a similar situation, and I thought I had unbent all the pins on the CPU, and put the CPU in the socket, and pushed down the lever. Didn't feel any resistance, and put the cooler on. System wouldn't boot. I took the cooler off and looked at the CPU in the socket. It was sticking out partially, which meant the pins were bent. 

If it's impossible to get a view of it, then the only way to verify it is to remove it from the socket. 

Well that's gonna have to be a task for tomorrow me. I'll reply back with what I see

15 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Checked just now. All pins in good condition and it's orientated correctly. Still the same CPU light on the mobo and the same beeps. I'm gonna try possibly flashing the bios and seeing if that might somehow fix it. If you've got any other possible solutions go ahead and shoot just in case it doesn't work

33 minutes ago, KingUnicorn said:

Checked just now. All pins in good condition and it's orientated correctly. Still the same CPU light on the mobo and the same beeps. I'm gonna try possibly flashing the bios and seeing if that might somehow fix it. If you've got any other possible solutions go ahead and shoot just in case it doesn't work

You can try clearing the CMOS. 

Update:

I was tired and decided to take it to a tech at a store I trust. Took a whole day but they said the CPU is dead and the motherboard is dead as well. Both likely due to a short. I guess I just gotta be more careful and discharge static better. I really appreciate the time and all the solutions given. Guess it's time for an upgrade.

I guess now the real question is AMD or Intel?

Edit: marking this as the answer even though there wasn't any real solution other than replacing everything

Edited by KingUnicorn