Any help? Fiber internet but my bro has half the ping rate??

Pavey

So my brother and I both have the same  fiber internet provider. I did a speed test just cause and his was 6 ms ping on Speedtest on wifi. Mine is about 12 or 13 on wifi and lowest when wired is 8 or 9. Both on gigabit plan if that helps. Mind you I am further back from the road about 350ft whereas he is closer to the distribution box at the road. Not complaining, just curious how that could happen.

TIA

43 minutes ago, Pavey said:

So my brother and I both have the same  fiber internet provider. I did a speed test just cause and his was 6 ms ping on Speedtest on wifi. Mine is about 12 or 13 on wifi and lowest when wired is 8 or 9. Both on gigabit plan if that helps. Mind you I am further back from the road about 350ft whereas he is closer to the distribution box at the road. Not complaining, just curious how that could happen.

TIA

Networking Quality has so many factors that go into it.... it would take a long time to explain each and every link in the network chain and how each link on the path could potentially be a problem at some point...
Even if everything was identical (very unlikely ever), the ISP would then be a factor (they notice a link in the chain is weird, they could then adjust something hence different results again)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

With distance and obstacles any wireless signal will have higher latency.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Pavey said:

Both on gigabit plan if that helps.

Speed or more correctly bandwidth has no influence on latency (i.e. ping). Latency is primarily influenced by physical distance and the amount of time intermediate systems take to process and forward the data. In the case of Wi-Fi you also have factors like signal interference from other sources that might require data to be re-transmitted, thus increasing overall latency.

The speed at which signals travel through a wire (or air in the case of Wi-Fi) is essentially constant (e.g. typically between 50-80% of the speed of light in a wire, depending on material).

Higher bandwidth is achieved by sending more data in parallel, not by making data travel faster. This means the time it takes individual pieces of data to go to their destination remains the same as before, it's just that more data is arriving at the same time, so data per time ("speed") is increased.

To reduce ping as much as possible you want a wired connection and e.g. a router that takes as little time as possible to process data before sending it out to the internet. But realistically most of the latency happens outside your own network (between your modem/ISP and the destination server), which you can't realistically influence. The best you can do when gaming is select a server that's as physically close to your location as possible.

To compare speed test/ping results with your brother, make sure you're selecting the same server to test against. The result may also be influenced by how much load the server is under, i.e. how quickly it can react to a request. So you'll likely experience some variance even if all other factors are the same.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply