Am I doing something wrong here? (13700k Gaming Temps)

After a night of running MW2 on my new setup HWMonitor measured my max temperature for my cpu package at 89C. I am aware that this cpu runs very hot, but that seems a bit excessive.

My Specs are:

CPU: 13700k

Mobo: MSI Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR5

Cooler: H150i Elite LCD 360mm AIO

RAM: 32 GB 6400 MHz DDR5

GPU: MSI Gaming Z Trio 3080

PSU: HX1200i

Storage: 980 Pro 2 TB

Case: Lian-li O11 Dynamic

Windows 10

Currently I do not have the thermalright cpu frame but plan on acquiring it.

Top is configured as exhaust with the radiator and included ml120 rgb elite fans

Side is intake with 3x ll120 rgb fans

Bottom is intake with 2x air series sp120 fans

I have not touched bios, all drivers are up to date. I have all case fans running at about 1000 rpm as well as the radiator fans as I am a bit sensitive to noise. Gpu fans are running at about 1600 rpm.

Any suggestions as to how I can fix these temperatures? I know my fans aren't working very hard but surely I shouldn't be this high right?

69438467936__E86E7429-B87D-4672-BDB2-6E5DE9F16FB7.jpg

9 minutes ago, Ablindrhino said:

After a night of running MW2 on my new setup HWMonitor measured my max temperature for my cpu package at 89C. I am aware that this cpu runs very hot, but that seems a bit excessive.

Yeh, that is way to toasty especially if its all running at stock speeds. I wouldn't even expect to get that hot when OC'd.

Try removing the AIO block and look at how the thermal paste is spread on the CPU IHS to make sure the block is making good contact. Re-apply any paste and reseat.

89C at Stock must be that.

C

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

Got almost exactly the same setup as you except I run the AIO as intake on the side, CPU temps while gaming are under 75.

As exhaust, your AIO is using ambient case temperature air for cooling. When you're gaming, especially with a high end GPU, the GPU will be exhausting a shitload of waste heat into the case (320-360w at stock for a 3080), which your radiator will be (trying) to use to cool the water. It's doing double duty of trying to cool the water and exhaust that GPU waste heat.

This is like turning on your oven and using that to blow directly into your AC system to cool your house.

Rule of thumb is intake is better for the thing being cooled by the AIO, exhaust for everything else inside. For a gaming rig, set it up as intake always. The CPU won't usually be running an all-core load enough to affect internal case temps meaningfully, compared to the alternative. You will have short bursts of high CPU load, but otherwise, the radiator as intake is not doing much. But the other way around, you're choking out your CPU with guarantied high GPU waste heat.

And if the game you're playing is very CPU intensive, then it's even more reason to run it as intake. Actually, I can't think of any reason to run as exhaust unless you have no other choice.

image.thumb.png.af695b6bf7ce631c5d973395b300b51d.png

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

3 hours ago, Shimmy Gummi said:

Got almost exactly the same setup as you except I run the AIO as intake on the side, CPU temps while gaming are under 75.

As exhaust, your AIO is using ambient case temperature air for cooling. When you're gaming, especially with a high end GPU, the GPU will be exhausting a shitload of waste heat into the case (320-360w at stock for a 3080), which your radiator will be (trying) to use to cool the water. It's doing double duty of trying to cool the water and exhaust that GPU waste heat.

This is like turning on your oven and using that to blow directly into your AC system to cool your house.

Rule of thumb is intake is better for the thing being cooled by the AIO, exhaust for everything else inside. For a gaming rig, set it up as intake always. The CPU won't usually be running an all-core load enough to affect internal case temps meaningfully, compared to the alternative. You will have short bursts of high CPU load, but otherwise, the radiator as intake is not doing much. But the other way around, you're choking out your CPU with guarantied high GPU waste heat.

And if the game you're playing is very CPU intensive, then it's even more reason to run it as intake. Actually, I can't think of any reason to run as exhaust unless you have no other choice.

image.thumb.png.af695b6bf7ce631c5d973395b300b51d.png

Thanks for the lengthy reply. As an electrical engineer, you think I would have been able to see the fallacy in my setup myself, but I guess you are right that even with the side intake, at best it is getting 50% clean air and 50% hot air. I don't have any thermal compound on hand at the moment and also have 3 phanteks t30 fans on the way, but do you think flipping the side fans to exhaust and the radiator fans to top intake would rectify some of the issues for the time being? When I get those new fans in I will likely place those fans on the radiator, put the radiator on the side as intake, and have the ml120s as top exhaust and the bottom ll120s as intake. Also for the fans on the radiator is it best to have them side panel side or internal side?

9 hours ago, ChrisLoudon said:

Yeh, that is way to toasty especially if its all running at stock speeds. I wouldn't even expect to get that hot when OC'd.

Try removing the AIO block and look at how the thermal paste is spread on the CPU IHS to make sure the block is making good contact. Re-apply any paste and reseat.

89C at Stock must be that.

C

I will say that when I was trying to align the block so that the screen wasn't crooked, I did have to unscrew the 4 mounting screws a few times and kind of "shift" the block. You think that there is a possibility I really messed up the thermal paste application doing that?

4 hours ago, Ablindrhino said:

Thanks for the lengthy reply. As an electrical engineer, you think I would have been able to see the fallacy in my setup myself, but I guess you are right that even with the side intake, at best it is getting 50% clean air and 50% hot air. I don't have any thermal compound on hand at the moment and also have 3 phanteks t30 fans on the way, but do you think flipping the side fans to exhaust and the radiator fans to top intake would rectify some of the issues for the time being? When I get those new fans in I will likely place those fans on the radiator, put the radiator on the side as intake, and have the ml120s as top exhaust and the bottom ll120s as intake. Also for the fans on the radiator is it best to have them side panel side or internal side?

It could work, only one way to find out!

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x