Will this work with my PSU

Misinthe
Go to solution Solved by Misinthe,
5 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

-snip-

So I am doing this for a friend, he went ahead and bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BNJ2Q61N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2PRFAJ6IL2P9M&psc=1 a couple of days ago and it happened to arrive today, I tested it and it seems to be working fine now. 

Pretty sure it was the adapter, I tried it on 2 different motherboards, and reseating it multiple times, and I tested all the cables with a different GPU and they were working fine, so this led me to conclude it was either the GPU or the 12vhpwr adapter, so now that it has been replaced and everything works, the conclusion is that the adapter went bad somehow during the upgrade.

No this won't work as the Corsair cable is for Type 3/Type 4 Corsair modular power supplies. The pinout is different on the power supply end across different makes and models; some are the same but the majority are not. And the fact that you have a EVGA PSU and trying to mix with a Corsair cable will lead to trouble. 

TL DR: NO do not do this and only use the 12VHPWR adaptor cable provided until EVGA makes their own. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

A gpu "not turning on" can be several different issues that you should be doing diagnostics for vs guessing

32 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

No this won't work as the Corsair cable is for Type 3/Type 4 Corsair modular power supplies. The pinout is different on the power supply end across different makes and models; some are the same but the majority are not. And the fact that you have a EVGA PSU and trying to mix with a Corsair cable will lead to trouble. 

TL DR: NO do not do this and only use the 12VHPWR adaptor cable provided until EVGA makes their own. 

That's what I thought, I can't seem to be able to find an EVGA one, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy it from CableMod

32 minutes ago, emosun said:

A gpu "not turning on" can be several different issues that you should be doing diagnostics for vs guessing

Yeah, I've done tests, trying different GPUs with the Mobo/CPU, and using different Mobo/CPU. It seems the issue is either that adapter or the GPU itself, so my next logical step is to test the cable before trying to run an RMA.

32 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

That's what I thought, I can't seem to be able to find an EVGA one, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy it from CableMod

Hmmm yeah. EVGA does have an adaptor cable but for the RTX 30 series and won't work for 40 series since it doesn't have the additional 4 sensing wires. Also, this adaptor cable doesn't appear to be compatible according to their compatibility chart for your power supply (maybe it does as an Amazon listing shows it comes provides with this model). https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-NK-3000-B9

For the graphics card not working, are you sure the cables are fully seated? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

5 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

-snip-

So I am doing this for a friend, he went ahead and bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BNJ2Q61N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2PRFAJ6IL2P9M&psc=1 a couple of days ago and it happened to arrive today, I tested it and it seems to be working fine now. 

Pretty sure it was the adapter, I tried it on 2 different motherboards, and reseating it multiple times, and I tested all the cables with a different GPU and they were working fine, so this led me to conclude it was either the GPU or the 12vhpwr adapter, so now that it has been replaced and everything works, the conclusion is that the adapter went bad somehow during the upgrade.