Ram difference

Hi there! I’m considering upgrading RAM speed from 2666mhz to 3200mhz in the Summer. How much of a difference would it make to performance. My intended use is gaming and will be 3D design and that general area. Will I see an improved in rendering speed?

Whether or not you will see an improvement in rendering speed will be highly application dependent. Which specific application(s) are you using?

As for gaming, what is your CPU and graphics card? RAM can have an impact, but it isn't as important as those components. Also, what games do you play and what settings do you target? RAM generally only matters when you are CPU limited.

First off, I will point out that you can likely just overclock your kit of 2666MHz RAM to 3200MHz or even higher, depending on some of the specifics of your kit and the silicon lottery, so it's probably worth attempting that before you go and buy a brand new kit. 

Second, it's impossible to know how much performance you have on the table without knowing the specific 3D design application and what CPU you've got. Different CPUs have different scaling properties with memory. 1st gen Ryzen, for example, scales incredibly well with memory performance, while say Skylake doesn't scale that much with higher memory performance outside of a few specific situations. 

15 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

First off, I will point out that you can likely just overclock your kit of 2666MHz RAM to 3200MHz or even higher, depending on some of the specifics of your kit and the silicon lottery, so it's probably worth attempting that before you go and buy a brand new kit. 

Second, it's impossible to know how much performance you have on the table without knowing the specific 3D design application and what CPU you've got. Different CPUs have different scaling properties with memory. 1st gen Ryzen, for example, scales incredibly well with memory performance, while say Skylake doesn't scale that much with higher memory performance outside of a few specific situations. 

I have a 13600k, I know I can’t overclock my ram , for some reason it gives me one option on XMP and that’s 2667mhz, the 3D design will vary between many applications, premiere pro, unreal engine 4/5 , blender, photoshop and maya

19 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Whether or not you will see an improvement in rendering speed will be highly application dependent. Which specific application(s) are you using?

As for gaming, what is your CPU and graphics card? RAM can have an impact, but it isn't as important as those components. Also, what games do you play and what settings do you target? RAM generally only matters when you are CPU limited.

My cpu is a 13600k with an RX 6600, you can see the applications I will be using above I think where I responded to the other person’s message 

41 minutes ago, Verta said:

I have a 13600k, I know I can’t overclock my ram , for some reason it gives me one option on XMP and that’s 2667mhz, the 3D design will vary between many applications, premiere pro, unreal engine 4/5 , blender, photoshop and maya

There are more ways than just XMP to be able to overclock RAM. Unless you're on an H610 board or an OEM board, you should be able to manually set a memory frequency, timings, and voltage. 

A 13600K does scale a bit with memory speed and should do a fair bit better with something like 3200 CL16, but exact numbers I don't know off the top of my head

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

There are more ways than just XMP to be able to overclock RAM. Unless you're on an H610 board or an OEM board, you should be able to manually set a memory frequency, timings, and voltage. 

A 13600K does scale a bit with memory speed and should do a fair bit better with something like 3200 CL16, but exact numbers I don't know off the top of my head

Ok, I’ll probably pick up some 3200 at some point

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Hey also, are there any benchmarks released? I have to prove that they are needed because I have a strict family

5 hours ago, Verta said:

Hey also, are there any benchmarks released? I have to prove that they are needed because I have a strict family

I believe Frame Chasers did some memory scaling tests with the 13600K in games, but not sure about those specific workloads. I'd have to look to find them. 

That said RAM overclocking is free, so you could just try to see if you could get something like 3200 CL16 on your current kit and not worry about upgrading. 

I’m going to have to buy 3200 if I want it. I’m not allowed to oc anything or do anything with my computer