Sleeper build - Aopen HQ45Pro

Go to solution Solved by bcc,

The build video is now also up 😄

I am building a Sleeper inside an HQ45PRO. Why? Because I need a gaming PC an I am old! Also I really liked these case back then with the blue segments. The idea is to make everything functional (diskdrive, CD-Rom Drive, etc) with the new insides. I found this New Old Stock cardreader that is going in there for sure. Also I've found some DVD-RW drives. The black one is Sata, and the whiteone Pata, so I hope I can change the fronts or something.

case1.webp

case2.webp

TLDR: - Build video is now here: 

Edited by bcc
Added completed video

21 minutes ago, bcc said:

I am building a Sleeper inside an HQ45PRO. Why? Because I need a gaming PC an I am old! Also I really liked these case back then with the blue segments. The idea is to make everything functional (diskdrive, CD-Rom Drive, etc) with the new insides. I found this New Old Stock cardreader that is going in there for sure. Also I've found some DVD-RW drives. The black one is Sata, and the whiteone Pata, so I hope I can change the fronts or something.

case1.webp

case2.webp

How do I make the previews smaller?

You can use sata dvd drives in pretty much any modern os so you can use it card reader or anythink. your mb need to have a sata port all motherboars have atleast 2 sata ports so you dont have to worry about it. an you can find pretty much all other standerds have some form of convertion kit to either usb or sata or a pcie card that have that old type of port 

You can even still get a PCIe to floppy header or internal USB to floppy header and have a working floppy drive just for laughs if you wish.

I too love putting newer hardware into older cases!

The plan is to get all of it working. The hardware will be:

Intel Core i3-12100 Boxed
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
NZXT Kraken X53 RGB - White Edition
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL CMH32GX4M2D3600C18W
Corsair CX650F RGB White
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 Ti AMP White Edition LHR

Not the fastest, bit it should run deep rock galactic just fine.

The bottom needs to be cut from the AOPEN HQ45Pro in order to facilitate the radiator for the Kraken.

On 12/31/2022 at 9:05 AM, Bitter said:

You can even still get a PCIe to floppy header or internal USB to floppy header and have a working floppy drive just for laughs if you wish.

Seems like a waste to burn a PCIe slot on legacy devices. USB adapters are the way to go for those!

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

13 minutes ago, bcc said:

The plan is to get all of it working. The hardware will be:

Intel Core i3-12100 Boxed
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
NZXT Kraken X53 RGB - White Edition
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL CMH32GX4M2D3600C18W
Corsair CX650F RGB White
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 Ti AMP White Edition LHR

Not the fastest, bit it should run deep rock galactic just fine.

The bottom needs to be cut from the AOPEN HQ45Pro in order to facilitate the radiator for the Kraken.

That poor build is going to be toasty. That case has no airflow, even with cutting the bottom out... 

14 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

That poor build is going to be toasty. That case has no airflow, even with cutting the bottom out... 

It will need speedholes 🙂

Speedholes and parts

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 13.02.49.png

I've added some feet, so the air can actually get in there. I found these om amazon, they are for HIFI stuff I think.

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 13.02.30.png

There are models where there is an 80mm hole here. I had none, so here goes 🙂

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 13.02.14.png

This was the picture before the hole and feet .

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 13.02.04.png
All the parts - I spray painted the controller to match end result. I went with the i3 because of thermals and also because it was highly recommended by @LinusTech for a gaming build.

I am going to make a build video if I have some time.

image.thumb.png.816f4fd930ef1ab966dbd726109841ad.png

She fits! It is going to need some heavy cable management though 😄 

981086409_Screenshot2023-01-04at13_20_49.thumb.png.4e55fd38244489a4134fc2e10b7d41bf.png

Adding some blue highlights.

1981096004_Screenshot2023-01-04at13_20_56.png.18b08217b0415c021f9565e5a6814fe8.png

Long time since I've done this 🙂

1092626282_Screenshot2023-01-04at14_37_02.thumb.png.784624559948ac7bac01b4226554ffa4.png454517745_Screenshot2023-01-04at14_32_39.thumb.png.27280731ac3eabfb753b1360fe158a64.png1777080863_Screenshot2023-01-04at14_32_25.thumb.png.825e2cc047f95ea4a025c7152f234e4b.png

I am quite happy has to how this turned out 😄 

3 minutes ago, bcc said:

Not going to lie, I like it. I am usually anti-rgb, but the subtle glow through the side vent look nice. How are temps? Did your speed holes tame it well?

@Blue4130The temperatures are fine. I haven't stressed tested it, but running games there is no problem. The CPU is not a hot head, so that helps I guess and the GPU can exhaust itself pretty well. Also it is in the direct airflow from the RAD to the casefan, so no problems 😄

I think the feet and cable management also help quite a lot. I've recorded most of the speedhole cutting, so I will post a video on youtube this week.

I've connected the CD-Rom drive through a PATA->SATA converter, but that doesn't seem to work very well, so I've ordered a PATA->USB like @Needfuldoer suggested.
image.thumb.png.b7cf9c6b879499d292f358e49d9fe8b9.png
Speedhole 🙂 

2 hours ago, bcc said:

1092626282_Screenshot2023-01-04at14_37_02.thumb.png.784624559948ac7bac01b4226554ffa4.png454517745_Screenshot2023-01-04at14_32_39.thumb.png.27280731ac3eabfb753b1360fe158a64.png1777080863_Screenshot2023-01-04at14_32_25.thumb.png.825e2cc047f95ea4a025c7152f234e4b.png

it looks sick, You might want to look on the temparatures bcz the Aio pump is on the top so air can get trapped there and it may kill the aio.

@Gokul_PI know, but so far so good. These new CPUs also have pretty good throttling so I think I will be ok if the AIO does die at some point 🤞

i dont get how this thing is cooling unless it just stays at idle. all fans exhaust as far as i can tell and there no intake. the gpu i have no idea how that thing runs and were it  exhaust air as well as the side is blocked...🤔 looks nice but...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

@thrasher_565I reversed the fans on the radiator, so it sucks air in from the bottom. Casefan, GPU and PSU all exhaust out the back. This is about 5cm between the side of the GPU and the case, so there is quite some room for airflow. The side also suck in some air.

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

Just get a SATA optical drive, you can very likely swap the face plates

I tried, but no dice. The internals where completely different and the faceplate was very slightly different😞

5 hours ago, bcc said:

@thrasher_565I reversed the fans on the radiator, so it sucks air in from the bottom. Casefan, GPU and PSU all exhaust out the back. This is about 5cm between the side of the GPU and the case, so there is quite some room for airflow. The side also suck in some air.

the psu wont spin fans till it hits 55c.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

4 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

the psu wont spin fans till it hits 55c.

According to the specs on corsairs site, that is not the case. It does not have zero rpm mode.

19 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

According to the specs on corsairs site, that is not the case. It does not have zero rpm mode.

could be. well if there happy with it when w/e but im skeptical. 

Oh, it is not silent when you are gaming 🙂 I will try and post some temps when gaming this weekend.