Bypass Bell Hub 2000

Cyressvirus

Hi,

I want to bypass the Bell router because it cause at our store : Wifi drop, Router cpu constantly at 100%, internet loss, even entire network fail ( need to reboot the router to fix the issue ) so I want to completly remove the Bell router ( sagemcom fast 5250 ). 

Is there a way to completly remove it and use another router ?  Currently the Fibe goes into Bell Modem from where is it converted to a standard ethernet cable to the Bell hub 2000

Picture of the modem include below ( i dont have a pic of the bell router but its the Hub 2000 sagemcom fast 5250 )

image.jpeg.b30014a7e08a49133c8f29221a9ff5b9.jpeg

All the way to the right looks like a fibre line, so most likely only the ISP's router will work for this and/or replacement alternatives will be very expensive if available. However the access points and switching can be done on your end, just plug the ethernet out into your own infrastructure and disable their wireless systems. It may use PPPoe in which case you will need to grab the username and password from your ISP, otherwise it will work like standard ethernet and you can use your own infasturture. for small scale uses this will be an all in one wifi AP and router (with more ethernet ports etc), for larger scale operations, you can get a separate switch and distribute access points across the building for wifi

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

@RTX 3090 Yes it is a fibe that go to the bell modem ( cable on the far right ). then the modem convert it to standard RJ45 ( Gray cable around the center of the modem ) and then go from there to the Bell router. I' ve try to bypass the bell router by unplugging it and replaced it with my own router ( business grade router ) but it didnt work, was showing no internet at all !!. I have already asked Bell for a better router but they dont have 1 ( as they say )

Can you put your Bell router in bridge mode?

Does Bell have any documentation on how to use your own router with their ONT? Their modem is probably doing something like PPPoE and logging into their system.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I have a similar setup at one of the businesses provide IT services for. One thing to note is if you're on Bell Aliant (Atlantic Canada) this doesn't apply. 

First there's two pieces of information you're missing which is why you just can't connect your own router to the Nokia ONT.

1. You need your PPPoE credentials. These are different from your Bell Hub login credentials. Assuming you're on a business account it would be best to call Bell and have them provide these. The user ID will be XXXXXXXX@bellnet.ca or possibly b1XXXXXX. 

2. From the Nokia ONT Bell uses VLAN 35.

From there you just need to configure your router WAN interface to use VLAN 35 as well as PPPoE with the credentials provided by Bell. 

You didn't mention what router you intend to use or what the internet speed is. You might need some tweaking if you're aiming to hit 1Gbit symmetrical for example. PPPoE performance can be hit or miss depending on the router brand/model.

@Emtu Thank you for the information. BTW, yes I am on a business account ( in Quebec ) in case it help. So if I understand correctly, here are the option

I will have to call Bell, ask them to put the router in bridge mode

or

Ask them to give me the information ( PPPOE login ) to completly bypass the router

14 minutes ago, Cyressvirus said:

@Emtu Thank you for the information. BTW, yes I am on a business account ( in Quebec ) in case it help. So if I understand correctly, here are the option

or

Ask them to give me the information ( PPPOE login ) to completly bypass the router

That latter of course is preferable.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 hours ago, Cyressvirus said:

or

Part of the issue is the Bell Hub 2000 doesn't really have a bridge mode. What it can do it passthrough the PPPoE credentials so you can connect your own router to a LAN port on the Bell Hub, then have the Bell Hub connected to the Nokia ONT without running into double NAT or needing to configure VLAN 35. This isn't really an ideal setup if the Bell Hub is causing issues though - and on top of that you still need your PPPoE credentials anyway. Best bet is your second option and completely bypass the Bell router. 

@Emtu Finally , after some arguing with bell suport and bell tech, they will come change the modem so we can put it in bridge mode

and then we will be able to use our own router, Assuming we can configure it correcctly to use with their VLAN

And thank every1 with the help