Is a 750 watt psu enough for an rtx 4080?

AshleyBear

I recently bought an MSI GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING X TRIO to go with my ryzen 9 5900x.  I have a corsair RM750X power supply but I'm not sure if 750 watts is enough.  I don't mind buying a higher wattage psu but only if necessary.

if you can afford a bigger PSU, get it. GPUs and CPU are more and more power hungry every generation. buy now, don't buy again on an upgrade later. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Just now, VioDuskar said:

if you can afford a bigger PSU, get it. GPUs and CPU are more and more power hungry every generation. buy now, don't buy again on an upgrade later. 

Well I got $550 worth of amazon gift cards for Christmas so I might just buy a 1000w psu.  I oc my gpu and cpu.

Just now, AshleyBear said:

Well I got $550 worth of amazon gift cards for Christmas so I might just buy a 1000w psu.  I oc my gpu and cpu.

I'd say do it, get it fully modular, and from a reputable brand with a solid warranty. This way you'll be able to use the same PSU well into your next build or two. 

(I still have a 750W from 2010 that is still in service.) 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

1 minute ago, VioDuskar said:

I'd say do it, get it fully modular, and from a reputable brand with a solid warranty. This way you'll be able to use the same PSU well into your next build or two. 

(I still have a 750W from 2010 that is still in service.) 

I'll probably just buy Corsair RM1000x.  It's fully modular and gold rated.

10 minutes ago, AshleyBear said:

you're gold rated. good luck on all your future builds, hopefully with that same PSU. 

1 hour ago, AshleyBear said:

That is the exact PSU that I am running in my machine and have never had any problems with it at all.  I say go for it.

I recently bought an MSI GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING X TRIO to go with my ryzen 9 5900x.  I have a corsair RM750X power supply but I'm not sure if 750 watts is enough.  I don't mind buying a higher wattage psu but only if necessary.

It'll barely fit, 4080 is 400W and 5900X up to 200, +100 other stuff

But both are rarely at full power at the same time

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

It should be enough, don't buy a new one. Corsair RM750X is fine/designed to run maxed, so even if it's ~730W that's more than fine for that PSU. And like @PDifolcosaid it's gonna be almost impossible to go over 700W by a huge margin with your components.

Nothing can hurt the PSU if u pull more power, quality ones like your Corsair are just very robustly designed products, it either shuts down or not, and will never dmg itself, nor other components from mere over-pull of power.

Well i bought a Corsair RM1000x and gave my RM750x to my friend since he only had a 650 watt psu for his 3080ti.