ISP asking for my public IP? - Vancouver area

smcw

I am in the Vancouver BC area and just recently got signed up with Lightspeed Cable (lightspeed.ca). It's another Shaw TPIA that is a Cipherkey reseller.

Anyway, after my service got connected I got an email from them asking me to send them my public IP address. This seemed very strange to me, afterall I don't have a static IP plan and I would have thought the ISP could look up the address if they really wanted it.

Even if I do send it to them why would they need it?

3 minutes ago, smcw said:

I am in the Vancouver BC area and just recently got signed up with Lightspeed Cable (lightspeed.ca). It's another Shaw TPIA that is a Cipherkey reseller.

Anyway, after my service got connected I got an email from them asking me to send them my public IP address. This seemed very strange to me, afterall I don't have a static IP plan and I would have thought the ISP could look up the address if they really wanted it.

Seems odd, are you sure it's not spam / scam etc. ? Did you even give them your email address to contact you with, usually they send you regular mail not e-mail unless that is a provider specific thing.

no, do not send them it via email. Call them if you think it may be a valid request, but they should be able to know what your public IP is since they assign it to you.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

no, do not send them it via email. Call them if you think it may be a valid request, but they should be able to know what your public IP is since they assign it to you.

@smcw 👆What he said. Your public IP address is assigned to you by the ISP to start with. Nobody else but you and the IPS should know it. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

23 minutes ago, smcw said:

What. Your Ip is assigned by your ISP. Don't share it via Mail. 

🤣 The service provider is really asking for the public I.P address. What in tarnation?🙃

Negan Jeffrey Dean Morgan GIF - Negan Jeffrey Dean Morgan Really GIFs

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

😒 If lightspeed.ca is a legitimate company, then whoever told you to give them your public IP address is not truly lightspeed, but pretenders, has to be. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Thanks for the responses. I will give them a call, it's a very strange request from any ISP and definitely not something I've ever heard of.

Attached is the part of the welcome email where they ask for it.

Screenshot_20221224-202126_Outlook.jpg

Theres no reason for them to ask that from you. They can get your line identifier and then they can search your IP address in their system. This is pretty basic, since they'll receive letters from the big production companies for Piracy Cease and Desist, which has the date/time, name of the offending file, and the offending IP address, from which they have to forward the complaint to the customer. So they most definately can search this. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

That's a super odd email if it was them.  I would give them a call to confirm instead of emailing though.

With that said, if I had to venture a guess on why an ISP is asking what your IP address is, is to confirm that your internet is setup correctly.  Sure they could see that an IP has been assigned to your modem and everything might be looking fine from their end...but all it takes is the customer that sets up their modem/router combo and is using something like their neighbours wifi...only to get the complaint later that the "internet" is broken (despite everything on their end saying it works fine).  Or in the scenario where someone is switching providers, and the old provider still is there working until the end of the month.  You will get people mighty angry with you if the internet is working but only because they were connecting to the old router.  By asking for an IP address they are verifying that you have successfully setup your internet (and switched at least one device over to use it)

With that said, give them a call

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef