CPU power limit throttling

7ooda911
 I own MSI vector gp76 with rtx 3080 and i7 12700H. I play games in 1080P ultra which is more CPU bound and I notice power limit throttling for the CPU even when I turned the efficiency cores off and selected max fan mode. Power consumption suddenly goes down from around 60 watts to 45 watts and CPU frequency goes down from 4082 MHz to around 3500 MHz, which hurts performance, and results in fps loss by around 15 to 20%, I forgot to mention that this power throttling occurs when the temperature of the CPU reaches around 74 degrees which is strange for me because I watched other laptops with the same processor with no power limit throttling when it reached around 90 degrees. I tried tweaking bios several times but with no point. My friend told me that I should get a 330 watts power brick, is this true? I forgot to tell you that GPU power consumption ranges from 100 to 120 watts at the same time

10 minutes ago, 7ooda911 said:
 I own MSI vector gp76 with rtx 3080 and i7 12700H. I play games in 1080P ultra which is more CPU bound and I notice power limit throttling for the CPU even when I turned the efficiency cores off and selected max fan mode. Power consumption suddenly goes down from around 60 watts to 45 watts and CPU frequency goes down from 4082 MHz to around 3500 MHz, which hurts performance, and results in fps loss by around 15 to 20%, I forgot to mention that this power throttling occurs when the temperature of the CPU reaches around 74 degrees which is strange for me because I watched other laptops with the same processor with no power limit throttling when it reached around 90 degrees. I tried tweaking bios several times but with no point. My friend told me that I should get a 330 watts power brick, is this true? I forgot to tell you that GPU power consumption ranges from 100 to 120 watts at the same time

Your laptop should have advanced options in bios to manage power limits and thermals. The temp. mark let's me to believe that a max temp has been set and it then throttles or the sucks too much power or the cpu has a power limiter in place. I have no idea what power brick it does come with but I believe the laptop can draw quite a bit of power (well over 200W). You want to check those advanced options and look for a guide on configuring it. It is a pretty powerful laptop and one of only a few with a decent bios.

laptops have proprietary firmware and do not have to follow any sort of standard or rules when deciding when the firmware dictates the cpu's power level..... or basically any function at all regarding the machine. most laptops are set to setting that ensures the laptop survives it's warranty period , which means they are typically run slower than a machine which has normal cooling on it.

Laptops vary widely in performance with the same parts based on how they're designed. They have different cooling capabilities and manufacturers set their own limits, so just because that CPU does well in other laptops doesn't mean it will do well in all/yours. You can do some digging to see if there's any settings anywhere to adjust this, but you may just be seeing the limitations of your particular model. Make sure you have it on performance mode, though sometimes you can get unusual results such as better performance in balanced than performance mode, so play around with it. And yes, a higher wattage brick may help, if the problem is the computer needs more power than your current one can provide and that's causing the throttling.

7 hours ago, 7ooda911 said:

12700H

This CPU has a 45W Processor Base Power rating.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/132228/intel-core-i712700h-processor-24m-cache-up-to-4-70-ghz.html

Some manufacturers use an embedded controller to enforce this 45W power limit. Buying a more powerful power adapter will not change anything.

On 12/24/2022 at 8:36 AM, unclewebb said:

This CPU has a 45W Processor Base Power rating.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/132228/intel-core-i712700h-processor-24m-cache-up-to-4-70-ghz.html

Some manufacturers use an embedded controller to enforce this 45W power limit. Buying a more powerful power adapter will not change anything.

How come, I saw the exact same laptop many times with other people exceeding 45 watts (around 60 to 70 watts) with high temperatures (around 97), are you sure a higher wattage power brick wouldn't help?

8 minutes ago, 7ooda911 said:

How come, I saw the exact same laptop many times with other people exceeding 45 watts (around 60 to 70 watts) with high temperatures (around 97), are you sure a higher wattage power brick wouldn't help?

They can't be sure of that. They don't think it will help and are stating that as fact, and it may not help, but it might, and the only way to know is to either just try it or possibly to use something to monitor how much wattage you're pulling and see if it's at the limit of your power adapter. Personally, I'd suggest just getting your hands on a higher wattage one that's compatible with your computer and give it a try. Nothing to lose and might just help. Based on what you've said, though, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.

3 minutes ago, vertigo220 said:

They can't be sure of that. They don't think it will help and are stating that as fact, and it may not help, but it might, and the only way to know is to either just try it or possibly to use something to monitor how much wattage you're pulling and see if it's at the limit of your power adapter. Personally, I'd suggest just getting your hands on a higher wattage one that's compatible with your computer and give it a try. Nothing to lose and might just help. Based on what you've said, though, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.

I guess this issue only happens when the temperature of the processor is high like 80 degrees or more, in case I'm putting a decent cooling pad under it and temperature is fine there won't be almost any power limit throttling. I might have a faulty power adapter?

18 minutes ago, 7ooda911 said:

I guess this issue only happens when the temperature of the processor is high like 80 degrees or more, in case I'm putting a decent cooling pad under it and temperature is fine there won't be almost any power limit throttling. I might have a faulty power adapter?

80 is low for throttling, though, but as I said before, different laptops are designed differently, and that one may have been designed with noise in mind over performance. If other laptops of the same model perform better, i.e. they are able to get hotter before throttling or they put up better benchmark numbers, then there may be an issue with your laptop, though whether it's the laptop itself or the power supply would need to be figured out by swapping out the adapter.

2 hours ago, vertigo220 said:

80 is low for throttling, though, but as I said before, different laptops are designed differently, and that one may have been designed with noise in mind over performance. If other laptops of the same model perform better, i.e. they are able to get hotter before throttling or they put up better benchmark numbers, then there may be an issue with your laptop, though whether it's the laptop itself or the power supply would need to be figured out by swapping out the adapter.

Thanks man

On 12/24/2022 at 1:04 AM, Applefreak said:

Your laptop should have advanced options in bios to manage power limits and thermals. The temp. mark let's me to believe that a max temp has been set and it then throttles or the sucks too much power or the cpu has a power limiter in place. I have no idea what power brick it does come with but I believe the laptop can draw quite a bit of power (well over 200W). You want to check those advanced options and look for a guide on configuring it. It is a pretty powerful laptop and one of only a few with a decent bios.

Can you tell me please which settings to tweak in the bios? Or anything that can help me to do it