ender 3 s1 curling on large flat prints

Arika

So i have no idea what i'm doing wrong. i've tried multiple bed temps, adhesion methods. On large prints that span the entire bed i get this annoying curling of the model at the corners, normally i would do a raft, but it's too large to fit on the bed. i've tried glue on the bed for better stickiness, painters tape, clean glass bed, but it keeps happening. What can i do to prevent this in the future?

image.thumb.png.93ad82bf7fca5d8680d475f0a4bc7c7c.png

you can even see the glue under the curl showing that it did nothing.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

try printing without part cooling fan.
Alternatively raising bed temperature and keeping it high after 1st layer or adding a printer enclosure could help.

I've been having similar problems lately and i think it's because the basement my printer sits in has gotten much colder over last few months.

If you’re printing right to the edge you’ll want to crank the temp up as high as you can get away with. The bed doesn’t heat uniformly and printers are normal a lot cooler towards the edge which starts peeling. This  is one of the reasons why FDM printers are better then FFF printers for consistency. 

You could also try adding a raft to minimise the impact of the lifting. Also depends on what material you’re using, ABS for example has a higher tendency to lift off than PLA or PETG. It could also be caused by cheaper materials. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can put little mouse ears on the corners of your print, just circles that are a few layers thick on the base. I've found that can help. 

I also cannot overstate how good magigoo is. I tried everything else too, but the goo is so easy and so reliable I now never use anything else. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 5:30 PM, Imbadatnames said:

FDM printers are better then FFF

Maybe I am mistaken, but aren't they the same thing?

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 12:49 PM, Daftlander said:

You can put little mouse ears on the corners of your print, just circles that are a few layers thick on the base. I've found that can help. 

For visual demonstration:

How to print Brim Ears? – How do I print this? (Printing help) – Prusa3D  Forum

Photo Source

There are two ways of doing it. The first is creating your own STL files using any modeling software, and placing them manually in your slicer. the other is using a plugin, that gives you an additional bed adhesion option other than skirt, raft or brim. 

This video explains it very well if you're using Cura.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25