Home weather sensors

jscottstearns

I wasnt sure if this was already posted in the forum (tried looking, couldnt find anything). I wanted to get a weather station for at my home I have looked at a couple different things; Netatmo, Govee. I wanted to see what everyone thinks. I want to have outside air temp, humidity, wind sensor. Rain sensor I'm kinda meh about, but not against it. I know I will need to spend a bit of money. Not interested in spending over $500, I'm not a metorologist. Just wanted to gets some ideas on what to go for. I know for Netatmo for the temp, rain, and wind sensor is looking at $380 almost $400. 

20 minutes ago, jscottstearns said:

I wasnt sure if this was already posted in the forum (tried looking, couldnt find anything). I wanted to get a weather station for at my home I have looked at a couple different things; Netatmo, Govee. I wanted to see what everyone thinks. I want to have outside air temp, humidity, wind sensor. Rain sensor I'm kinda meh about, but not against it. I know I will need to spend a bit of money. Not interested in spending over $500, I'm not a metorologist. Just wanted to gets some ideas on what to go for. I know for Netatmo for the temp, rain, and wind sensor is looking at $380 almost $400. 

How does something like this sound?

AcuRite Iris (5-in-1) Indoor/Outdoor Wireless Weather Station for Indoor and Outdoor Temperature and Humidity, Wind Speed and Direction, and Rainfall with Digital Display (01512M) https://a.co/d/fw8K3xi

I forgot to mention. I think the biggest thing that I want is for me to see it on my phone from anywhere

2 hours ago, jscottstearns said:

I forgot to mention. I think the biggest thing that I want is for me to see it on my phone from anywhere

Are you willing to DIY?
You can make what you are looking for about 50-100$ (depending on where you source components from, AliExpress or Adafruit):
ESP32 dev board (or pretty much any other SoC), BME280 sensor, anemometer (preferably with voltage as output), waterproof electronics box, and a couple of cheap AC to DC adapters (5V for ESP32, 12V for anemometer... or a single adapter and a setup up DC to DC converter from 5V to 12V).
As for tools and supplies you need: solder, soldering iron, (dupont) wires and a tube of neutral cure silicone (or heck even hot glue would suffice).

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 10:06 PM, Biohazard777 said:

Are you willing to DIY?
You can make what you are looking for about 50-100$ (depending on where you source components from, AliExpress or Adafruit):
ESP32 dev board (or pretty much any other SoC), BME280 sensor, anemometer (preferably with voltage as output), waterproof electronics box, and a couple of cheap AC to DC adapters (5V for ESP32, 12V for anemometer... or a single adapter and a setup up DC to DC converter from 5V to 12V).
As for tools and supplies you need: solder, soldering iron, (dupont) wires and a tube of neutral cure silicone (or heck even hot glue would suffice).

Is there a program that I can use to monitor it from my phone?

2 hours ago, jscottstearns said:

Is there a program that I can use to monitor it from my phone?

That is the beauty of DIY-ing it, you can make it work however you like.
There is a lot of ways you can achieve that:

• Have the ESP32 host a web server (and serve sensor readings as a web page), you can access it via any browser (be it on your phone, laptop, pc, etc.), if you'd like to access it from the outside (and you are not behind CGNAT) then you will also have to open & forward a port on your router to the ESP32, and setup DDNS if your public ip isn't static (it most likely isn't).
  • Log the data to a cheap VPS or web hosting with say MariaDB (MySQL database) and have that web hosting serve the web pages. This way you don't have to self-host and deal with all the networking stuff.
  • Connect it Home Assistant, if you have one running already.
  • Log data in Google Sheets with Google Scripts using HTTPClient library.
  • Log the data to Firebase DB and then either write your own app or use one of the app generating solutions.

There is plenty of written and video tutorials on this subject, but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

On 12/18/2022 at 11:25 AM, Biohazard777 said:

That is the beauty of DIY-ing it, you can make it work however you like.
There is a lot of ways you can achieve that:

• Have the ESP32 host a web server (and serve sensor readings as a web page), you can access it via any browser (be it on your phone, laptop, pc, etc.), if you'd like to access it from the outside (and you are not behind CGNAT) then you will also have to open & forward a port on your router to the ESP32, and setup DDNS if your public ip isn't static (it most likely isn't).
  • Log the data to a cheap VPS or web hosting with say MariaDB (MySQL database) and have that web hosting serve the web pages. This way you don't have to self-host and deal with all the networking stuff.
  • Connect it Home Assistant, if you have one running already.
  • Log data in Google Sheets with Google Scripts using HTTPClient library.
  • Log the data to Firebase DB and then either write your own app or use one of the app generating solutions.

There is plenty of written and video tutorials on this subject, but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

I like it. I will give it a shot. I'll let this post know how it goes