My PC randomly shutdown while in sleep mode

lansing

I rarely turn off my PC, usually when I go to sleep, I just turn it to sleep mode and everything would be resumed the next morning in one power button press.

But for the last few months it has been randomly shutting down while in sleep mode, and I lost all unsaved works because of this. Other than that my computer has no problem at all. Is my motherboard dying?

• 7 months later...
On 12/6/2022 at 11:58 PM, lansing said:

I rarely turn off my PC, usually when I go to sleep, I just turn it to sleep mode and everything would be resumed the next morning in one power button press.

But for the last few months it has been randomly shutting down while in sleep mode, and I lost all unsaved works because of this. Other than that my computer has no problem at all. Is my motherboard dying?

I have the same issue as you, and it started around the same time. Did you ever figure out the problem?

Sometimes, I've tried to wake it up while it was in sleep mode, only to have it power off instead (with an audible sound, as the relays all turned off)

But it seems like it might've gotten worse, because now it will power off almost immediately once it enters sleep mode (maybe 5-10 mins later max)

I never leave any unsaved work when I go to bed (never know when there will be a power outage or something), so I haven't lost any data, but this is getting quite annoying.

I'm just not sure if this is a motherboard issue, or a PSU issue. Both are under warranty, for now (I think the warranty ends this winter), but both were high end parts, so it really sucks to have either of them fail this soon.

The only indications I get in Event Viewer are:
"The previous system shutdown at 10:00:05 AM on ‎7/‎23/‎2023 was unexpected."
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
My motherboard is set to default to last state (power on/power off) after a power loss, but it doesn't seem to be detecting any power loss, because the PC doesn't turn back on automatically like it does after a power outage. That seems to me like it could be an indication that the PSU is not at fault here. Which would really suck, because the PSU is much cheaper.

On 7/23/2023 at 8:09 AM, Jdbye said:

I have the same issue as you, and it started around the same time. Did you ever figure out the problem?

Sometimes, I've tried to wake it up while it was in sleep mode, only to have it power off instead (with an audible sound, as the relays all turned off)

But it seems like it might've gotten worse, because now it will power off almost immediately once it enters sleep mode (maybe 5-10 mins later max)

I never leave any unsaved work when I go to bed (never know when there will be a power outage or something), so I haven't lost any data, but this is getting quite annoying.

I'm just not sure if this is a motherboard issue, or a PSU issue. Both are under warranty, for now (I think the warranty ends this winter), but both were high end parts, so it really sucks to have either of them fail this soon.

The only indications I get in Event Viewer are:
"The previous system shutdown at 10:00:05 AM on ‎7/‎23/‎2023 was unexpected."
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
My motherboard is set to default to last state (power on/power off) after a power loss, but it doesn't seem to be detecting any power loss, because the PC doesn't turn back on automatically like it does after a power outage. That seems to me like it could be an indication that the PSU is not at fault here. Which would really suck, because the PSU is much cheaper.

I brought a new computer 1 week after that so I don't know. I did kept the psu and it is working fine.

4 hours ago, lansing said:

I brought a new computer 1 week after that so I don't know. I did kept the psu and it is working fine.

Thanks. I think I can assume it's the motherboard, and I'll RMA it at a convenient time, when I'm not actively gaming on it. My old desktop also had weird power/sleep issues, ended up replacing the PSU on that which didn't fix the problem. The problem is that PC is so old that finding a working motherboard is difficult and expensive, but this one is not even that old and it's a $350 Asus ROG, I'm disappointed in the quality.

I will try resetting CMOS first though, and updating the BIOS. Perhaps something is messed up with the BIOS settings.