Prepping to modify an older, inexpensive monitor: Cables and power input.

sailsman63

I'm prepping for a project that will include disembowling an older small monitor (17" to 22" class, probably 1080p or so) and relocating the power and driver boards. A couple of things that I have not yet been able to determine from the research I've done so far:

• I don't think the factory ribbon cables will be very convenient, as they are form-factored for the monitor case. Do these cables tend to be connected to the panel via proprietary connectors, or is there something standard in use, such as the connectors on these cables, which are sold for use with generic bare panels?
  • I want to run the monitor off of a DC power supply. I'm aware the the monitor power boards often have a bespoke set of voltage outs. Do stock power boards typically have a first-stage raw AC-to-DC stage and then convert DC-DC for the besoke voltages, or do they have multiple separate AC-DC sets?

I have another idea that might work out better for you but probably costs more. Laptops have something called EDP which provides signal and power, you can get a controller which takes various inputs and some power and runs the screen, you can get edp cables in various lengths and they're meant to be flexed and bent. Only catch is probably limited to 17" size max and will cost more. You might get lucky and score some deals if you look around or are OK with a 15 inch display. Because EDP is a standard things are a little easier to mix and match.

I just searched "EDP cable" on eBay, and got the exact listing that I linked above. Are you saying that OEM monitors do not use this type of connector on the panel end?

I would assume that most desktop displays do not use a common panel connector type like EDP but I don't know 100% and I could be wrong. I do know 100% that any panel with a 30 or 40 pin EDP can work with any 30 or 40 pin EDP cable and 30 or 40 pin controller board. As long as the panel, cable, and controller are all the same pin count it should all work together. EDP and LVDS are different standards, EDP is basically tiny flat displayport with power for the screen included and LVDS is an analog signal.

http://www.auo-lcd.com/solution/98.html

Thank you for the link. That's informative.

I was hoping to avoid buying new components, partly because my local PC recycler has literally dozens of standalone monitors from system teardowns in the 20-22" range in stock @ $55USD each, customer's choice - which is very tempting.

If OEM monitors are using actual ribbon, I might even be able to work with that. It's the FPC stuff that I don't think I could handle.

8 hours ago, sailsman63 said:

Thank you for the link. That's informative.

I was hoping to avoid buying new components, partly because my local PC recycler has literally dozens of standalone monitors from system teardowns in the 20-22" range in stock @ $55USD each, customer's choice - which is very tempting.

If OEM monitors are using actual ribbon, I might even be able to work with that. It's the FPC stuff that I don't think I could handle.

Makes total sense. It would be nice if there was a database of what monitor uses what panel...