What constitutes an unsafe shutdown on Steam deck?

kitnoman

So while checking what brand is the stock ssd of my steam deck, I also found that I had 46 unsafe shutdowns. Can anyone help me, how does an unsafe shutdown happen or done? I checked my 3year old ssd on my pc and it has zero unsafe shutdown. Should I be worried and what would happen if this persist on my steam deck?

I don't know about steam deck, but normal PC, holding in the power button to do a hard shut down would count as an unsafe shutdown.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Yeah usually a hard cut to power, as opposed to seeing some equivalent of "Shutting down...."

Improper shutdown on a spinning rust drive would mean there was a potential for read/write head damage.

For an SSD, it just means that there's a small chance that there was some cached write data that was lost.

My best guess is that when you shut your deck down, it's counting proper shutdowns as improper, either due to a bug or software that's just mis-reading the SMART data.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

On 12/2/2022 at 4:24 PM, Sarra said:

My best guess is that when you shut your deck down, it's counting proper shutdowns as improper, either due to a bug or software that's just mis-reading the SMART data.

I would have said that it's most likely counting any hardware side power off as unsafe. So anything where just power button is used without OS interaction. Or battery removal while system is powered o on.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

When that dude casually dropped his onto his switch lite during his youtube review.

On 12/2/2022 at 12:02 PM, Mihle said:

I don't know about steam deck, but normal PC, holding in the power button to do a hard shut down would count as an unsafe shutdown.

i made a similar topic recently... the thing is what is even the point,  i have several sata ssds that *should* show several hundred or thousand of "unsafe shutdowns" but they dont, the category doesn't even exist on them...

yet my nvme shows "2" even though to the best of my knowledge there were no such events since its installed...

and that also raises the question if it wouldn't be better turn on hotswap for drives as that could possibly handle unexpected shutdowns better? i always had this on on my old build,  but to my surprise its off on my new motherboard... 

anyway "unsafe shutdown" seems really pointless and i really wonder why my sata ssds apparently dont have it?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity