Mkv files and softcoded subtitles

Alphaz

I'm trying to make watching One Piece easier for my gf by combining multiple episodes in like 4 hours version to watch instead (while also cutting out op/ed/repeating parts).

I downloaded all the episodes, but the problem i have is that they are .mkv files with .ass subtitles that aren't hardcoded. The subtitles also are already somehow inside the .mkv file so i don't have a separate file for subtitles.

What i'm hoping to do is either:

a) find a video editor that opens .mkv files together with their subtitles, i tried OpenShot/Sony Vegas but it doesn't load subtitles

b) find a way to extract subtitles from .mkv file, preferably as they are so that i don't have to sync them later and use some tool to hardcode the .mkv and subtitles, then combine the hardcoded ones in some simple video edtior

Can you guys help me?

I don't know of any all-in-on method to do all this. But I do know you can hardcode subtitles using HandBrake (this might take a while though, since it's basically re-encoding the vids. Maybe there's a faster way using vlc).
Then you can use something like AviDemux to split, cut and merge the videos fast and easy.

(all these apps are free open source)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro