Had MSFTCONNECTTEST open in my browser after some net issues, google says it's normal and is provided by microsoft as a test, is that so?

Evie Struggles With Life

Just checking if I didn't get a random virus or something lol, considering the name it makes sense. Oh and I also had it open before but it's been a long while

In order to determine whether a network/connection is providing internet access, it is common for devices to reach out to specific test servers and try to load a basically-empty webpage. Apple, Google, Microsoft, Firefox, Samsung, and others have these. If the page loads exactly as expected then you are online. If it doesn’t load, you’re not online. If the page gets redirected, for example to the login portal of a public wireless network, then your device will open it up in your default browser - but they don’t open the login page directly, instead they launch the test page URL.

Some Modems, Routers even ISPs redirect you to a status page when they think there is an issue. So maybe the background test was redirected to a status page, but the issue cleared by the time it was opened in your browser.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: