CPU overclocking on an Intel Q75 Express?

I'm planning to upgrade from an i5-3470 to an i7-3770. Selling my system for more modern hardware isn't really an option right now so a small upgrade is the best I can do.

If the Q75 supports overclocking, I was going to spend a little extra for an i7-3770K. Even if it doesn't, should I still get a 3770K instead?

24 minutes ago, Franzei said:

I'm planning to upgrade from an i5-3470 to an i7-3770. Selling my system for more modern hardware isn't really an option right now so small upgrade is the best I can do.

If the Q75 supports overclocking, I was going to spend a little extra for an i7-3770K instead. Even if it doesn't, should I still get a 3770K instead?

Depends, the 3770 is gonna be a lot cheaprer, and IDK if the difference is gonna be that noticeable, but it depends:

• What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?
  • What GPU are you using?
  • What kind of cooler do you have?

You might be able to get a 2600k or 3770S for the same price as a 3770.

• If you have a good cooler, overclocking the 2600k might do a little better.  It's pretty much the exact same thing as the 3770k
  • If you are using the stock cooler, a 3770S might actually boost itself to the best speeds you'll get on stock cooling

Either of those usually sell for about the same price as the 3770.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

Pretty sure all you can do is BCLK overclock on both of those CPUs and as a long term Ivy Bridge user, I can tell you that you wont be getting far with that method especially now old and crusty thermal paste between CPU die and IHS. Get the 3770 and forget about it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Pretty sure all you can do is BCLK overclock on both of those CPUs and as a long term Ivy Bridge user, I can tell you that you wont be getting far with that method especially now old and crusty thermal paste between CPU die and IHS. Get the 3770 and forget about it.

Mostly this.  I will say, there are a few games my old 3770 gets very close to 60fps in that my OC'd 1600 get a stable 60 in, so IDK what that's worth.  

The 3770 was still a very obvious upgrade over the 3240 that was originally in the system, but that's entirely the product of doubling the thread count.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

Well if you can flash a z bios on your board im pretty sure you can oc but if you are using q75 then its an oem board so i doubt any bioses would actually work even if they seem to work, i mean i flashed a biostar t41 bios on a g41mx and it looked like it was working but volt controls were not. Not crossflashing to a diff brand will have less issues (ex p5q to p5q premium) but depends on luck

Diff featureset from z77 though there are boards like the msi b75/z77 g43 that share the same layout. And ive also screwed around with flashing to diff chipsets mostly met with failiure (flashing a g41 to a g45/43 even p41) but i can get p7p55d bios on my h55m-lx running fine

Basically you cant overclock anyways cause an oem board would likely not work with other bioses and even if it did youll prob find some caveat to it like having to pad mod the cpu to control voltage or some of your i/o just stops working or some other random shenanigans. And also how the hell you flash the thing in the first place

Do not crossflash your bios. Don't listen to him lol 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X