Arcric liquid freezer 280mm in Fractal Design Define 7

Hello eveyone!

I'm planning a build in a Fractal Design Define 7 with an Arctic Liquid Freezer 280mm mounted in the front.

Now I am unsure of these questions:

Will I be able to place the radiator high enough so that the highest point in the loop isn't the pump?

Also: Will this AIO be enough to cool my 5800X3D?

The fan configuration I think of would be three inward fans at the front (Two of them on the 280mm radiator, mounted as high as possible), two exhaust fans at the top (towards the back), and one back exhaust fan. All fans would be NF-A14, with the option to keep the included arctic fans on the radiator.

1) The 5800X3D only has a TDP of 105W and therefore I think a good tower cooler would be easily sufficent, let alone a 280mm rad.

2) Yes the pump will be higher than the CPU block in this configuration Correction: the pump can be placed lower than the cpu block in this configuration

3) If you are going rad on front make sure your GPU is going to fit

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Just now, will0hlep said:

2) Yes the pump will be higher than the CPU block in this configuration

So you're saying that there will be air bubbles in the pump?

8 minutes ago, Seance said:

So you're saying that there will be air bubbles in the pump?

No sorry, I'm clearly losing it

You will be able to position the pump so it is not the highest point on the loop

(I am quickly just gonna say this again, I'd go for an air cooler, it will be easier to install, more reliable, probably cheaper and it should easily provide enough cooling for a 5800X3D)

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Ooh, thanks for clarifying! Now I know what to get for my build 😄

Keep in mind that the define r7 is a poor airfloe case due to using the older desigb of noise insulation and closed panel to create a quiet system.

This limits airflow which then causes hotter temperature and the fans to work harder.

Which on a cpu cooler isnt too bad usually but a gpu with smaller fans gets WAY louder. So basically counteracting thr noise dampening the case does and potential performance loss.

This is why the define r7 is NOT recommended for water cooling with an aio in the front.

32 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

I'd go for an air cooler

I'm thinking of this AIO for these reasons:

-I have one aveilable for a really good price right now

-I heard many people complaining about 90C temps with this CPU even with air coolers like the NH-D15

(-Also I personally don't like the look of air coolers in general)

So I just want to have some extra security at a cheaper price 🙂

Also the fans on my GPU are fairly big, so the noise shouldn't be that much of a problem.

I do have the option of going for, say, a meshify 2 instead - but that would mean an upcost of ~40€ compared to the Define 7 that I got for only 130€.

19 minutes ago, Seance said:

-I heard many people complaining about 90C temps with this CPU even with air coolers like the NH-D15

- The 5800X3D will reach 80s-90s with basically any cooler (air or water) on full load, this isn't an issue, CPUs are designed to work at these temps and to throttle back to avoid over-heating. you may also get better performance with water cooling due to it not having to throttle back (or it happening less often) but you should watch reviews on this to see exact benefits

-Also I personally don't like the look of air coolers in general

- this is fair (your wrong 🙂 , lol, air coolers are beautiful, but fair enough)

-So I just want to have some extra security at a cheaper price 🙂

- water cooling provided no extra security, in fact it adds a very large failure point. modern CPUs don't over heat and fail like they used to. Instead they throttle themselves to cool down when they get too hot. However, If the pump fails and you don't notice (say your not at your machine) then your CPU could be damaged very quickly as it will effectivly lose all cooling. Meanwhile, if your fan on your air cooler fails, your CPU should be fine as your case fans will continue cooling the CPU cooler (just a bit less effectively). Pumps do tend to be reliabile to combat this issue but the risk is always there.

If it is cheaper, then that is an advantage, you may also get better performance with water cooling (watch reviews on this to see exact benefits). However, your components are safer with an air cooler.

He/Him

5800X3D isn't hard to cool. I was doing it with a little PA120 that I am using for now. If you push it hard enough it will do 143w PPT, but you have to be pushing it all around. The thing with air coolers is that they need air, just like an AIO does. Most people don't like noise, so they starve their coolers for air. AIO has access to fresh outside air due to its proximity when compared to a heatsink. Thats why so many people report better temps immediately. In actuality though, if you can deal with a little more noise and feed the heatsink as much fresh air as the AIO would get, you would probably be surprised at your results. Before Airflow cases became a thing, people like me would run server grade 120x38s, which are still superior to most consumer grade fans on the market when looking at performance alone.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

18 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

However, your components are safer with an air cooler.

So if I were to keep the Define 7, what air cooler would you recommend? Is there an option that's slim and can keep the 5800X3D cool? Ideally, you would still be able to see the ram and the io shield (For that RGB goodness :D)?

20 minutes ago, Seance said:

what air cooler would you recommend?

Thermalright FC140. It is a beast of a cooler. I have my second one on the way, got it for the same price as PA120 😎

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

3 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Thermalright FC140

Thanks for the recommendation 🙂

Unfortunately, this model is very hardly available where I am... Any other ideas?

3 hours ago, Seance said:

I'm thinking of this AIO for these reasons:

-I have one aveilable for a really good price right now

(-Also I personally don't like the look of air coolers in general)

So I just want to have some extra security at a cheaper price 🙂

Also the fans on my GPU are fairly big, so the noise shouldn't be that much of a problem.

I do have the option of going for, say, a meshify 2 instead - but that would mean an upcost of ~40€ compared to the Define 7 that I got for only 130€.

With EVGA CLC 280mm mounted front in Deepcool Matrexx 70 i keep it under 80°-82°C at full load for 10 mins of Cinebench R23 and it doesn't care the slightest. Out of curiosity tried Noctua nh-u14s and pretty much right at the start it hits 90°C. Literally and metaphorically HOT cpu. In games however with the quiet curve it rarely reaches 60°C usually hovers around 55°C. The other good thing about front mounted AIO, the GPU is running about 7-9°C cooler than usual.

No matter what AIO you get though, certainly go for Noctua fans on out. They are quite costly, but the quietness is unrivaled. 

P.S

Oh and if you are going for the front mount approach, don't forget to mount the radiator with its tubes DOWN. I forgot about the air bubbles at first and installed in tubes up, although the pump being lower than the reservoir, but it was keeping 5°C higher temps.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |