Entire PC Not Receiving Power

Zer0BL2
Go to solution Solved by Zer0BL2,

Found out the problem, I was using two 8 pin power cables going into the adapter for my graphics card (the 8x2 pin to 12 pin adapter for 30 series FE cards) I switched to a single 8 pin to 8x2 pin cable and it booted right up.

My specs are as follows

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x

GPU: FE RTX 3070 Ti

Ram: 4x8 Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 C16

Mobo: MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME M.2 and WD_Black SN750 1tb NVME M.2

Cooling: Corsair H150i Elite Cappelix 360mm AIO

PSU: Corsair RM1000X 1000W

Bios Version: Unknown

Please note that I started all this with a different motherboard than I now currently have. I started with the Asus ROG Strix B550F Gaming.

I recently got a new PC Case (Hyte Y60) and transferred all my components from my old case (Corsair 4000D Airflow) to the new one. However when I went to see if it POSTed, I got absolutely nothing, not a fan spinning, not a single light on the motherboard, absolutely nothing except for a single click from the power supply. I double checked all the power supply connections, including unplugging them and plugging them back in. I tried using a different power supply (Corsair RM850x) as well as all different power supply cables and had the exact same result. I tested my GPU and Ram in a friends PC and they both worked fine. I have not tested my CPU in another rig yet but I don’t think a bad cpu would completely stop power from getting to every component in the PC, but I don’t know for sure so that’s why I am here. Next I swapped my motherboard out for the now current one in my system, an MSI B550 Gaming Plus. Still having the exact same issue. Even tried the other power supply and cables with the new motherboard and still nothing. I will be testing my CPU in my friends rig tomorrow but until then, does anyone have any ideas as to what is happening with my PC?

did you double check all cables on both ends?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

i would try assembling everything outside of your case(on the mobo box would be fine), and test like that. it sounds like a short somewhere to me.

if it still won't power, try with bare minimum parts as well, just the mobo, no cpu, cooler, fans, aio, ram, ect. it won't post, but should still show signs of life, then add each one back one at a time.

edit: also, forget the obvious things like trying a different wall socket

Like someone said here, post tests MUST be done outside the box. Some cases maybe defective.

Might I ask why you switched from a Corsair 4000D to some Chinese no name brand maker ?

You do realize motherboards are transferable, though MSI is a pretty good one.

Or maybe you forgot to plug in the power cable to MB or PSU if modular.

1 hour ago, Cyberat said:

Like someone said here, post tests MUST be done outside the box. Some cases maybe defective.

Might I ask why you switched from a Corsair 4000D to some Chinese no name brand maker ?

You do realize motherboards are transferable, though MSI is a pretty good one.

Or maybe you forgot to plug in the power cable to MB or PSU if modular.

They aren’t quite as no name as you think they are, they are a subsidiary of IBuyPower which sounds bad at first but the build quality of this case is actually very good. There are many reviews on this case as well, it has great air flow and looks pretty good in my opinion. I wanted to go for a little bit of a different look while also being able to put my 360mm AIO on the top of the case, which I could not do in my 4000D.

Im not sure what you mean by “You do realize motherboards are transferable”. Only reason I got a new mobo was because I thought I killed my old one. And it wasn’t going to be permanent either, I’m not a big fan of MSI because I’ve had two separate GPU’s from them DOA from two different generations. This MSI board was just the cheapest mobo I could find in my area to use temporarily. I was planning on getting an Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero in the near future.

I mentioned in the post that I already double checked all the connections between the power supply and all components.

I will definitely try running a POST test outside of the case. If it is a short, could it be as simple as bending a piece of metal so it’s not touching anything? Or should I just exchange the case for a new one?

Thank you for the reply and helpful insight!

1 hour ago, bmx6454 said:

i would try assembling everything outside of your case(on the mobo box would be fine), and test like that. it sounds like a short somewhere to me.

if it still won't power, try with bare minimum parts as well, just the mobo, no cpu, cooler, fans, aio, ram, ect. it won't post, but should still show signs of life, then add each one back one at a time.

edit: also, forget the obvious things like trying a different wall socket

I will definitely try a POST test outside the case,  I probably should have also mentioned that I did try using a different socket that’s on a different breaker as well. Thank you for the advice!

2 hours ago, podkall said:

did you double check all cables on both ends?

As I mentioned in the original post, I double checked all connections between the power supply and each component each time I swapped something out. Some people have said to try a POST test outside the case as it sounds to them like it might be a short. I will be be trying this tomorrow when I get home from work.

If it's a short RMA the case, for sure. It seems to me that both the Asus and MSI work in the Corsair case ? So I think we narrowed it down here.

Just now, Cyberat said:

If it's a short RMA the case, for sure. It seems to me that both the Asus and MSI work in the Corsair case ? So I think we narrowed it down here.

I do not know if the MSI board works in the Corsair case, I bought the MSI board after I had already transferred everything to the Hyte case. The MSI board has only been in the Hyte case so far. I would assume it works no problem though as it is brand new (or so I hope it works given my history with MSI). If I can get a post outside the case then I will just be switching back to my Asus board for the time being and installing everything back in my Corsair case while I RMA my current case. Good thing I ordered it through Amazon so there shouldn’t be any fuss when it comes to returning it.

Found out the problem, I was using two 8 pin power cables going into the adapter for my graphics card (the 8x2 pin to 12 pin adapter for 30 series FE cards) I switched to a single 8 pin to 8x2 pin cable and it booted right up.