Any musicians here? Plz help choosing a MIDI keyboard + sofware

DCCFan

So I'm looking to buy a new keyboard for my son who has been studying music for 2 years but he is still young. I was told it would be great if it has at least 5 octaves, is sensitive and accepts a pedal. I just found one that covers all of these features but it is a MIDI controller so it does require a software suit, from what I could gather (I'm not a musician). Is it a bad idea to get a MIDI keyboard instead of a full featured one? Or is it a good idea considering you can download the sounds and effects you want? 

This is the keyboard I'm considering (it's on sale by me): https://nektartech.com/se49-se61-midi-controller-keyboard/

What software do you recommend for this? 

Apparently it comes with: 

BITWIG 8-TRACK INCLUDED

You can start producing, performing, and designing sounds like a pro from day one with the included Bitwig 8-Track DAW. It includes over 50 software instruments and effects for use on up to 8 audio or MIDI project tracks, and you can use any 3rd party VST plug-ins you might own, too. The ‘Bitwig Essentials Package’ comes as part of this package as well, featuring a highly versatile handpicked selection of loops, clips and samples, to make it even easier to get you started.

With Nektar DAW Integration you can control track selection and transport controls directly from the SE MIDI Controller, making this a fantastic combination. If you are just starting out, you will find it’s the perfect way to take your first steps in the world of digital music creation. And if you’re already familiar with using computer software, you’ll be amazed at what this combination has to offer!

I have a full feature board that operates stand-alone and has built in speakers.  I think it's great and I wouldn't want one that has to be a peripheral.  Downside, it's over $500CAD and doesn't have its own editing suite.  I waste even more money on the interface and cabling. 

However, I've never tried a nektar or the software.   If you're willing to deal with the computer side of it all the time, it looks pretty neat and for $150 CAD it's worth a shot.  

I haven't been looking for a board but I just checked the kijiji classifieds and OMG there are so many for sale, hilarious! 

Check the classifieds in your area, you might find an even better product for $150

I would aim for an electric piano. 

The amount of octaves is best. 

"81 key" or more... Probably more is better. 

A MIDI keyboard is designed to control music composition programs. 

Do you know any music stores in your area? That'd be the best option. 

If they don't have what you want, they can order it for you and you can still support the local store. ...if you care haha

1 hour ago, Heliian said:

I have a full feature board that operates stand-alone and has built in speakers.  I think it's great and I wouldn't want one that has to be a peripheral.  Downside, it's over $500CAD and doesn't have its own editing suite.  I waste even more money on the interface and cabling. 

However, I've never tried a nektar or the software.   If you're willing to deal with the computer side of it all the time, it looks pretty neat and for $150 CAD it's worth a shot.  

I haven't been looking for a board but I just checked the kijiji classifieds and OMG there are so many for sale, hilarious! 

Check the classifieds in your area, you might find an even better product for $150

Thanks! Will see if I can find a regular keyboard for around the same price. That said, the Nektar MIDI one comes up to 105 USD for me, which is a pretty great deal. I think it's because of Black Friday though I am in South America, seems they're trying to do Black Friday here now LoL

I'm just worried about the whole software deal because I took a look at these "DAWs" and they look SO user unfriendly, like dang 😂 My son does have a teacher though so I was hoping he could help with that. 

25 minutes ago, fpo said:

I would aim for an electric piano. 

The amount of octaves is best. 

"81 key" or more... Probably more is better. 

A MIDI keyboard is designed to control music composition programs. 

Do you know any music stores in your area? That'd be the best option. 

If they don't have what you want, they can order it for you and you can still support the local store. ...if you care haha

I've seen some 81 key pianos, will see if there's anything like that near me before deciding. My son currently uses 61 keys and his keyboard has no support for a pedal and his teacher asked if we could try and get him on one that has pedal support. This MIDI one being 105 USD in my country is prettty tempting but the softwares look quite complex and pricey. I was trying to figure out whether there are some free options that he could use while we learn more about these DAWs. If I do buy this one, would it be a good idea to try a free one?

Like this one

KONTAKT 7 PLAYER: The free app for KONTAKT instruments (native-instruments.com)

1 hour ago, DCCFan said:

I've seen some 81 key pianos, will see if there's anything like that near me before deciding. My son currently uses 61 keys and his keyboard has no support for a pedal and his teacher asked if we could try and get him on one that has pedal support. This MIDI one being 105 USD in my country is prettty tempting but the softwares look quite complex and pricey. I was trying to figure out whether there are some free options that he could use while we learn more about these DAWs. If I do buy this one, would it be a good idea to try a free one?

Like this one

KONTAKT 7 PLAYER: The free app for KONTAKT instruments (native-instruments.com)

Ask the teacher about the recommendations. They might even know a music store and have an additional discount. 

I mean keyboards are just switches that are interpreted by the computer with a driver, they are all the same no matter what "feature" do they have, it's mostly market differantion to give you reasons to buy that particular product over others

so what I suggest you is to get the cheapest or the one that you personally like most and either spend money on the software or use any freeware 

also note: the audiophile industry is laughed off by engineers, because it's pretty much a scam industry to a wide extent 

12 hours ago, 12345678 said:

I mean keyboards are just switches that are interpreted by the computer with a driver, they are all the same no matter what "feature" do they have, it's mostly market differantion to give you reasons to buy that particular product over others

so what I suggest you is to get the cheapest or the one that you personally like most and either spend money on the software or use any freeware 

also note: the audiophile industry is laughed off by engineers, because it's pretty much a scam industry to a wide extent 

Yeah this is kind of what I thought. It shouldn't make a huge difference whether the sound is coming from the keyboard itself or from the PC. I might just get the MIDI controller. It does come with software but you can buy extra sounds if needed. If I were to get one of these, would you recommend the SE or the GX model? The GX is slightly more expensive but it says online that its keys are somewhat weighed, it's supposed to emulate how a piano feels. 

I feel like this question is very hard to answer without knowing what your local options and prices are like.

I would also recommend getting an electric piano rather than a MIDI controller. A lot of electrical pianos has MIDI out so it's not like you lose any functionality. There will probably be situations where your kid don't want to be tied to the computer to play.

13 hours ago, 12345678 said:

Nobody has said anything about audiophiles so I don't understand why you brought it up.

13 hours ago, 12345678 said:

No, they are big differences.

Maybe not sound wise, but there are a lot of features that may or may not be important when buying a (MIDI) keyboard.

The ones OP touched on for example are all important.

How many keys the keyboard has.

Do they have aftertouch support or not.

Can you plug in a pedal or not.

Are the keys velocity sensitive?

What key weight feels good for you? 

It's like with computer keyboards. A 10 dollar keyboard may send the same signal as a 100 dollar keyboard when the letter A is pressed, but that does not mean the 100 dollar keyboard is just useless marketing fluff and that both keyboards are the same.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

No, they are big differences.

that's what industries would like you to think, but anyway we have different opinions about it, so let it be

about the audiophile market, my bad, I meant all markets, they like to add bullshits over bullshits to gain your attention.

3 hours ago, DCCFan said:

Yeah this is kind of what I thought. It shouldn't make a huge difference whether the sound is coming from the keyboard itself or from the PC. I might just get the MIDI controller. It does come with software but you can buy extra sounds if needed. If I were to get one of these, would you recommend the SE or the GX model? The GX is slightly more expensive but it says online that its keys are somewhat weighed, it's supposed to emulate how a piano feels. 

I would suggest to try yourself every software with their trial, and then buy the one that you like most, something that I like, might not be on your interests

the same goes with the hardware support, personally I would get the cheapest thing, even a standard keyboard, and then remap stuff with the software that you picked or with third party stuff like lua macro

about the piano emulation feeling, I can say to you that's 100% corporate bullshit, what have they done a study of a really wide series of pianos that are on the market, made an average and tried to replicate the feeling via fancy ways?

no they likely just slammed together two pieces together, and described it in the fanciest ways, to incentivate you to buy that product 

7 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

about the piano emulation feeling, I can say to you that's 100% corporate bullshit, what have they done a study of a really wide series of pianos that are on the market, made an average and tried to replicate the feeling via fancy ways?

no they likely just slammed together two pieces together, and described it in the fanciest ways, to incentivate you to buy that product 

Dude, do you even play piano? 

Have you tried the difference between a keyboard without weighted keys vs one with fully weighted keys or even hammer action keys? 

They feel completely different.

I think it's hard to argue that one is better than the other, but they definently feel different and some people prefer one over the other. You seem to think the goal of weighted keys is to make it feel like some particular piano, when in reality it's more about just feeling good to play on. 

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Dude, do you even play piano? 

Have you tried the difference between a keyboard without weighted keys vs one with fully weighted keys or even hammer action keys? 

They feel completely different.

I think it's hard to argue that one is better than the other, but they definently feel different and some people prefer one over the other. You seem to think the goal of weighted keys is to make it feel like some particular piano, when in reality it's more about just feeling good to play on. 

have you read what I've previous told you? if not take a look back again, I'm not going to fight you off, like what are you doing right now, the op wanted opinions, and I gave him mine

I really hate this way of thinking, he doesn't think like me, so he must be stupid, ignorant, a troll, or insert whatever adjective here

feel free to enjoy your echo chamber now, I'm off, have a good day

2 hours ago, 12345678 said:

have you read what I've previous told you? if not take a look back again, I'm not going to fight you off, like what are you doing right now, the op wanted opinions, and I gave him mine

Weighted keys feels a hell of a lot more like a piano than unweighted keys feels. I am not sure if that's what you tries to say but that's how it came off. 

You can't just write everything off as gimmicks and then say people are stupid, which is what you did, not me. 

Pretty much every post you've made in this thread have been full of insults, swearing and hyperbole. All your posts have been fairly generic or off topic as well which is why I asked you if you even play the piano, a question you still haven't answered. 

I really hate this way of thinking, he doesn't think like me, so he must be stupid, ignorant, a troll, or insert whatever adjective here

Except I never called you stupid or a troll. I asked if you played the piano because you were writing off things as gimmicks which are not gimmicks. 

You are also the one who came into the thread and called people stupid. 

You came into this thread with a really aggressive and hostile tone acting smug. Then you're surprised when people question you? Come on... If you want people to stop acting this way then maybe you should start by taking a look in the mirror. 

feel free to enjoy your echo chamber now, I'm off, have a good day

Great attitude bro... Question, what echo chamber am I in? 

The one who says having more keys isn't a gimmick? 

The one who who agrees that there is a big difference in feel between for example an unweighted key vs a hammer action key? 

The one who thinks being able to connect a pedal, or key velocity sensitivity are good features to have because they radically change how you can play? 

If those are echo chambers then I'll gladly be part of them, because they are right.

3 hours ago, 12345678 said:

No. I've been playing piano for 8 years, unweighted keys suck. Always get weighted keys, otherwise it throws you off when playing a real piano.

elephants

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

cut/

as I told you it's okay, having different opinions, but apparently that is not ok for you, if you like those features and feel that they are important, well good for you, but I don't, he asked for opinions, and I gave mine, but apparently you're making a drama out of it, while not accepting those as opinions 

you say that you never called me stupid, while at same time you futher add adjective with a bad cognition, while you asked me if I've ever plaid a piano, if that's not under the definition of being stupid o smug you tell me what it is

edit: oh no I'm sorry, those are genuine questions that you have after listening to my opinion, because apparently you can't accept someone who has a different view than you, which goes back to an echo chamber 

On 11/24/2022 at 8:52 AM, DCCFan said:

I would stress that you're getting caught up in quantity of features over the quality of simplicity. 

Get a simple electric piano with weighted keys. 

They feel like real piano. 

Without weighted keys, it feels similar to a toy relatively speaking. 

He's playing the piano, not writing music. 

You can compose a host of songs with just a piano. 

It's your choice, but I advise going simple and self contained instead of going for the big number. 

I would talk to the music teacher to get the final decision as the teacher likely knows best.