Moving from team blue to team red

NB912

Budget (including currency): 5000~NIS(=€1400) Give or Take

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Used mostly for Gaming (RDR2, God of War, Dirt Rally 2 , AC, GTA, Spiderman Remastered) & when not gaming, media consumption whether that's watching movies or just YouTube.

After 7 years with my current (Intel) build I want to upgrade whilst going AMD. 

What you're upgrading from:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700@3.4GHz (Skylake)

GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 2060 EVO OC Edition 12GB GDDR6

RAM: 2x Patriot 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170M-D3H-CF

SSD: Samsung 870EVO 2TB & 1TB & Crucial CT250BX100SSD1

PSU: Corsair RM750 Modular 750W Gold Active 80+

Other details: Existing parts lists: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 12GB (TU106-300-KA) [ASUS],  2x 2.5 SSD's (1TB+2TB 870 evo), will be using them from my current build.

CPU: was thinking about the 58003DX, heard a lot of good things about it, not sure if I need all that horsepower though. As for the rest, everything is here except (obviously) the parts I'll be carrying from my current build https://il.pcpartpicker.com/list/

This is kind of what I had in mind, obviously it's not final, but it's someplace to start.

Whether any peripherals are needed: no needed, using existing peripherals.

When you're going to buy: this coming week (using those black Friday discounts). what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at: 4K (already have the display) @ 30hz (doesn't have to reach 60 by any stretch). Since I'm not into competitive gaming and tend to play less titles as COD/Counter Strike, refresh rate matters less to me, however since I've had a 4K monitor for the past 4 years it's hard for me to see myself going back to anything below it, higher refresh rate at this resolution is also pretty expensive and demands a lot more so I don't see myself going that route for the next 5 years.

Updated list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  (₪1425.05 @ Newegg Israel)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  (₪1034.27 @ Newegg Israel)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (₪328.67 @ Newegg Israel)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (₪423.64 @ Newegg Israel)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (₪780.38 @ Newegg Israel)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  (₪841.23 @ Newegg Israel)  ***The case has already been bought (for half the price).***
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: ₪4833.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-23 16:22 IST+0200

** Would rather not get into the process of liquid cooling**

Thanks for all the help in advance 🙂

Edited by NB912

3 minutes ago, NB912 said:

CPU: was thinking about the 58003DX, heard a lot of good things about it, not sure if I need all that horsepower though. As for the rest, everything is here except (obviously) the parts I'll be carrying from my current build https://il.pcpartpicker.com/list/

This is kind of what I had in mind, obviously it's not final, but it's someplace to start.

Whether any peripherals are needed: no needed, using existing peripherals.

When you're going to buy: this coming week (using those black Friday discounts). what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at: 4K (already have the display) @ 60hz.

A: Link is not working it should have letters at the end.
B: for 4k 60 FPS the minimum spec you want for a GPU is a RTX 3080. I dont know about the prices for israel but if you can grand a 3080 + or a 6900 XT you should be solid for gaming especially with a 5800x3d. 
With 3600 CL 16 ram 16 gigs
a decent motherboard that can support up to 130 watts of VRM for CPU a gen 4 GPU slut a NVME gen 3 and above and a 850+ watt PSU (for 3080) or 1000 watt (if 3090) you should be solid 

1 minute ago, Makaroni said:

B: for 4k 60 FPS the minimum spec you want for a GPU is a RTX 3080. I dont know about the prices for israel but if you can grand a 3080 + or a 6900 XT you should be solid for gaming especially with a 5800x3d. 

The 5800X3D is a completely pointless product for 4K.  It's advantage over any of the other zen 3 CPUs completely disappears at 1440p and above.  I would almost bet that at 4k, you'd hardly see a difference between it and the 6700k unless paired with a 3090 (at 4k60 there would be no difference, 4k 120 maybe you'd see it but 4k120 is a meme).  But at 1440p high refresh rate, the 5700x or 5600 would be excellent choices.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

4 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

The 5800X3D is a completely pointless product for 4K.  It's advantage over any of the other zen 3 CPUs completely disappears at 1440p and above.  I would almost bet that at 4k, you'd hardly see a difference between it and the 6700k unless paired with a 3090 (at 4k60 there would be no difference, 4k 120 maybe you'd see it but 4k120 is a meme).  But at 1440p high refresh rate, the 5700x or 5600 would be excellent choices.

Well, I do think the overall experience will be a lot smoother because 0.1% and 1% lows are much higher than with the 6700K. The 6700K is old and weak af compared to newer CPUs. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

1 minute ago, Makaroni said:

A: Link is not working it should have letters at the end.
With 3600 CL 16 ram 16 gigs
a decent motherboard that can support up to 130 watts of VRM for CPU a gen 4 GPU slut a NVME gen 3 and above and a 850+ watt PSU (for 3080) or 1000 watt (if 3090) you should be solid 

Is this working? https://il.pcpartpicker.com/list/

Atm, My 2060 is good enough for gaming at 40-45fps in Spiderman Remastered, it doesn't have to reach 60fps, sorry for the confusion.

2 minutes ago, NB912 said:

Is this working? https://il.pcpartpicker.com/list/

Atm, My 2060 is good enough for gaming at 40-45fps in Spiderman Remastered, it doesn't have to reach 60fps, sorry for the confusion.

No, click the BB button and copy and paste the output into your post.

If you're not getting a new GPU, the 6700 is more than enough.  No point in a new CPU for gaming with the same GPU you already have.

9 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Well, I do think the overall experience will be a lot smoother because 0.1% and 1% lows are much higher than with the 6700K. The 6700K is old and weak af compared to newer CPUs. 

Sure between the 6700 and 5800x3d, and only at the 1% lows, and even less so with a 2060.  Between a 5800x3d and a 5600 or 5700x, there would be literally no difference at anything other than 1080p, and even then it's small. 

7 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

No, click the BB button and copy and paste the output into your post.

If you're not getting a new GPU, the 6700 is more than enough.  No point in a new CPU for gaming with the same GPU you already have.

The reason I'm switching the CPU (& Motherboard) is for less heat, and from what I've understood, they tend (AMD) to generate less heat and here in the summer it can get easily to 27-29° Celsius ambient during the day.

Just now, Queen Chrysalis said:

Sure between the 6700 and 5800x3d, and only at the 1% lows, and even less so with a 2060.  Between a 5800x3d and a 5600 or 5700x, there would be literally no difference at anything other than 1080p, and even then it's small. 

So I should get this: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/AMD-Ryzen-5700X-Processor-100-10000926WOF/dp/B09VCHQHZ6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3GNQLQ1LN8M5T&keywords=5700x&qid=1669213975&sprefix=5700x%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-1

and not spend an extra €50 on this: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/AMD-Ryzen-5800X-Box-Processor/dp/B0815XFSGK/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=5800x&qid=1669214086&sprefix=5700x%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-3

4 minutes ago, NB912 said:

Yes.  that second one is the 5800x, not the 5800x3d.  The 5700x and 5800x are literally the same CPU.  The 5800x3d has more cache, but is a lot more expensive and won;t really do anything for you.  For all intents and purpose, the 5600 or 5700x are what you want for a CPU upgrade.  

But are you keeping the 2060?  If so, you really won't see much of any change in your gaming experience by only upgrading the CPU.  

5 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Yes.  that second one is the 5800x, not the 5800x3d.  The 5700x and 5800x are literally the same CPU.  The 5800x3d has more cache, but is a lot more expensive and won;t really do anything for you.  For all intents and purpose, the 5600 or 5700x are what you want for a CPU upgrade.  

But are you keeping the 2060?  If so, you really won't see much of any change in your gaming experience by only upgrading the CPU.  

Yes, I just got this one in July (went from a GTX 970 Mini-ITX OC)   unless I find a better GPU with a really good discount (this was 50% off so). The intent of this upgrade is also for a) better connectivity, b) better heat management, as now it's getting a bit too close to comfort, I can feel the heat from the GPU coming out, that's also the reason I'm switching to AMD as I've heard and saw (ok, linus tech tips channel) that they draw less power and produce less heat and c) cause I want to 🙂 and it's been a long time coming. Btw,  didn't mention it before, thanks for all your help!!!

6 minutes ago, NB912 said:

a) better connectivity

Could be valid, what kind of connectivity?

b) better heat management, as now it's getting a bit too close to comfort, I can feel the heat from the GPU coming out

That's inherent to gaming computers, nothing wrong with that.  The GPU getting hot means your system is utilizing it properly.  The only way it's gonna be less hot is if you put more fans in your case or identify poor airflow in the case.  But this stuff is built to get hot, heat isn;t an issue as it'll just throttle if it gets too hot, but the 6700 shouldn't be throttling with a 2060, especially if you have any kind of aftermarket cooler.  If you are using the stock cooler, perhaps a better upgrade would be a basic 20e-30e aftermarket cooler.

Actually, with a faster CPU, the GPU would actually rtun hotter as it would be more likely to always be at 99% util.

c) cause I want to 🙂 and it's been a long time coming

I suppose, but it's not like you'll ever really see it (it's inside your case and under a heat sink), and a week later the luster of the shiny new thing will be gone

8 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Could be valid, what kind of connectivity?

Wifi & Bluetooth, I was stupid enough not get a motherboard with both when I picked the parts for this PC. I know it may sound trivial, but using adapters isn't ideal and in my experience have been giving me more trouble recently and sometimes it has a hard time connecting, yes I know I can opt for a wireless network card but I'd much rather have it built in the system alongside bluetooth (been wearing wireless headphones for the last couple of years).

8 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

That's inherent to gaming computers, nothing wrong with that.  The GPU getting hot means your system is utilizing it properly.  The only way it's gonna be less hot is if you put more fans in your case or identify poor airflow in the case.  But this stuff is built to get hot, heat isn;t an issue as it'll just throttle if it gets too hot, but the 6700 shouldn't be throttling with a 2060, especially if you have any kind of aftermarket cooler.  If you are using the stock cooler, perhaps a better upgrade would be a basic 20e-30e aftermarket cooler.

True, which is why I also bought the 4000D airflow, and since I've done that I feel like it's time to move on to something better, I'm aware it's quite a bit to spend, but that's also why I'm doing it 7 years after this build, I intend to keep it for as long as possible.

Actually, with a faster CPU, the GPU would actually run hotter as it would be more likely to always be at 99% util.

I suppose, but it's not like you'll ever really see it (it's inside your case and under a heat sink), and a week later the luster of the shiny new thing will be gone

I know but I still want it and technically I will be able to see it (thanks 4000D airflow).

2 minutes ago, NB912 said:

Wifi & Bluetooth, I was stupid enough not get a motherboard with both when I picked the parts for this PC. I know it may sound trivial, but using adapters isn't ideal and in my experience have been giving me more trouble recently and sometimes it has a hard time connecting, yes I know I can opt for a wireless network card but I'd much rather have it built in the system alongside bluetooth (been wearing wireless headphones for the last couple of years).

nothing special with motherboard with build in wifi, they just preinstalled the wifi card for you. You can buy these cards and install it yourself.

You will still get problems with the chipset driver and so on. Wired network is better.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

15 minutes ago, NB912 said:

Wifi & Bluetooth, I was stupid enough not get a motherboard with both when I picked the parts for this PC. I know it may sound trivial, but using adapters isn't ideal and in my experience have been giving me more trouble recently and sometimes it has a hard time connecting

If your motherboard ahs a short m.2 port that may or may not be labelled 'm.2 wifi' you can get an intel ax200 (wifi 6, BT 5.2) or the likes, and it will be the exact same connection that a majority of onboard wifi/bt cards are (look under the housing on I/O for an 'integrated' board, it's usually m.2 but vertically mounted).  Better than the PCIe cards IMO.  It just goes right into the motherboard like a tiny little ssd, and has an antenna for the expansion slot and you can tuck the waires away easily.

15 minutes ago, NB912 said:

I intend to keep it for as long as possible.

No worries, if that's the case, then a 5700x whould be good for quite some time. But, if you want longeticity, you may be better off waiting till you want a new GPU, and then at that time, upgrading to the fastest core CPU you can get at that time, and that CPU will last even longer.  Part of longetivity is using something for as long as it is useful.  Imagine if you had gotten a ryzen 9 3900x 2 years ago.  You'd still be in a similar boat to the one you are now, despite having spent a ton of money on something that got outpaced by a product less than a third of it's price only 2 years later (5600).  If you use the 6700 until it is no longer viable, whatever CPUs are available then will be even faster than what you can get now.

2 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

If your motherboard ahs a short m.2 port that may or may not be labelled 'm.2 wifi' you can get an intel ax200 (wifi 6, BT 5.2) or the likes, and it will be the exact same connection that a majority of onboard wifi/bt cards are.  Better than the PCIe cards IMO.  It just goes right into the motherboard like a tiny little ssd, and has an antenna for the expansion slot and you can tuck the wires away easily.

I will check in it's spec.

2 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

No worries, if that's the case, then a 5700x should be good for quite some time. But, if you want longevity, you may be better off waiting till you want a new GPU, and then at that time, upgrading to the fastest core CPU you can get at that time, and that CPU will last even longer.  Part of longevity is using something for as long as it is useful.  Imagine if you had gotten a ryzen 7 3700x 2 years ago.  You'd still be in a similar boat to the one you are now.  If you use the 6700 until it is no longer viable, whatever CPUs are available then will be even faster than what you can get now.

The whole thing started because I found that 2060RTX, it was $290 & while it wasn't my first choice, seeing how much more I'd have to spend (double) for a 3060 (the discounts weren't great 4 months ago) I thought I should go for it, as it would still be a huge upgrade to my 970 Mini-ITX OC & also this winter I should probably upgrade the rest of my PC to match the new GPU.

Btw, I did search for it now (3060), would you say this is a good price? https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-REV2-0-WINDFORCE-GV-N3060GAMING-OC-12GD/dp/B0971BG25M/ref=sr_1_2?crid=32BQA7C9XAL7Q&keywords=3060&qid=1669217508&sprefix=3060%2Caps%2C274&sr=8-2

10 minutes ago, NB912 said:

No, and I would say a 3060 is not a very meaningful upgrade over a 2060.  A 6700xt is gonna be about the same price and game almost twice as fast.  A ryzen 5 5600 and rx 6700xt would be an ok upgrade over what you have now, but frankly later this winter you may be able to get a similar deal on a ryzen 5 5600 and rx 6800xt, which would definitely be a huge upgrade over a i7 6700 and 2060.

1 minute ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

No, and I would say a 3060 is not a very meaningful upgrade over a 2060.  A 6700xt is gonna be about the same price and game almost twice as fast.  A ryzen 5 5600 and rx 6700xt would be an ok upgrade over what you have now, but frankly later this winter you may be able to get a similar deal on a ryzen 5 5600 and rx 6800xt, which would definitely be a huge upgrade over a 6700 and 2060.

I did find this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-5700X-Processor-16-thread/dp/B09VCHR1VH/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3LTR7V5OOKTTD&keywords=5700&qid=1669218191&sprefix=5700%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-1&th=1

If you look further you can also see the 5700x & 5800x are also pretty well discounted, it's not such a huge difference price wise, and regarding the gpu if down the line whether it's later in winter or sometime next year if I'll find a good deal on one, I will upgrade.

5 minutes ago, NB912 said:

I did find this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-5700X-Processor-16-thread/dp/B09VCHR1VH/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3LTR7V5OOKTTD&keywords=5700&qid=1669218191&sprefix=5700%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-1&th=1

If you look further you can also see the 5700x & 5800x are also pretty well discounted, it's not such a huge difference price wise, and regarding the gpu if down the line whether it's later in winter or sometime next year if I'll find a good deal on one, I will upgrade.

Is that an israeli price?  Some of your links have been fro germany and others have been UK.  But yes, that is the best CPU for all intents and purpose on the market right now IMO.  6 very fast, hyperthreaded cores and plenty of cache, and motherboards for it are cheap.  The 5600 can run with any GPU on the market right now, but I'll let you decide what your money is worth.  The cores are the same, it's just whether you want 6 of them or 8 of them.

Just now, Queen Chrysalis said:

Is that an israeli price?  Some of your links have been fro germany and others have been UK.  But yes, that is the best CPU for all intents and purpose on the market right now IMO.  6 very fast, hyperthreaded cores and plenty of cache, and motherboards for it are cheap.  The 5600 can run with any GPU on the market right now, but I'll let you decide what your money is worth.

It's UK pounds, yeah sorry about that I look at all amazons, in conversion to USD it's $170 for the 5600 and $287 for the 5800x,(it's $266 for the 5700x) would you, given the choice add that extra $$ or is it simply not worth it?

Also you mentioned the 6700xt, apparently it's very expensive here, costing about $1000(!!!), on amazon (US) however: https://www.amazon.com/Graphics-WINDFORCE-Cooling-192-bit-GV-R67XTEAGLE-12GD/dp/B08Z4J6NHW/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=6700xt&qid=1669218581&sr=8-5

1 hour ago, NB912 said:

It's UK pounds, yeah sorry about that I look at all amazons, in conversion to USD it's $170 for the 5600 and $287 for the 5800x,(it's $266 for the 5700x) would you, given the choice add that extra $$ or is it simply not worth it?

Also you mentioned the 6700xt, apparently it's very expensive here, costing about $1000(!!!), on amazon (US) however: https://www.amazon.com/Graphics-WINDFORCE-Cooling-192-bit-GV-R67XTEAGLE-12GD/dp/B08Z4J6NHW/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=6700xt&qid=1669218581&sr=8-5

eBay.  Current gen GPUs for sale on eBay are barely used, so really no risk.  And if there's a problem you can get your money back

Definitely get the 5600 at those prices.

38 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

eBay.  Current gen GPUs for sale on eBay are barely used, so really no risk.  And if there's a problem you can get your money back

Definitely get the 5600 at those prices.

So I should go for the 5600 at amazon's price, and search for the 6700xt on ebay?

Btw, know this is out of the blue but are my PSU & storage choices okay? or should I look elsewhere?

5 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

So you'd go for the 5700x for future proofing?

4 minutes ago, NB912 said:

So you'd go for the 5700x for future proofing?

Personally, if I had to buy a 5XXX AMD CPU, it would either be the 5800X3D or 5950X

Edit: the more I think about, certainly the 5800X3D

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

41 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Personally, if I had to buy a 5XXX AMD CPU, it would either be the 5800X3D or 5950X

Edit: the more I think about, certainly the 5800X3D

That's what I heard, & that's why initially I put it on the list. BTW, do the 5XXX series come with their own fans or am I better off getting a Noctua one or something like that?