Main GPU 6600xt, possible to have 1050 as video encoder?

Jade Roxy

Been planning a new rig build after a much needed upgrade after my R7 270 died in my old 2013 hand-me-down. Long story short, I have most of my hardware safe ready to be pieced together. Then a friend contacted me saying that they have a 1050 they have that they are too lazy to use. Good friend, trust em.

Is it possible to have the 1050 they gave me as a dedicated video encoder? As in, for encoding videos as such.

Specs:

Red Devil 6600xt

Ryzen 5 5600-nonx

ASRock B550 Steel Legend

2x8 G.Skill 3200Mhz

RM850x

From friend - GTX 1050

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rwg8v3

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($119.00) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK400 ZERO DARK PLUS 59.46 CFM CPU Cooler  ($45.00) 
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($110.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($69.00) 
Storage: ADATA LEGEND 840 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($80.00) 
Video Card: PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB Video Card  ($235.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus 2 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($60.00) 
Case Fan: Fractal Design Aspect 12 RGB PWM 56 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($26.00) 
Total: $744.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-22 01:03 EST-0500

Yes, you could install that video card in the bottom pci-e slot and use it just for video encoding. 

Not sure if it's needed but you could probably get a fake hdmi plug for example : https://www.amazon.com/Emulator-Compatible-1920x1080P-Multiple-Resolutions/dp/B0B64ZCSMT/

Some video cards turn off or keep gpu and memory clocks very low if there's no monitor connected to them, so a device like the above will trick the video card into thinking there's a monitor connected to it, and it will send data to the fake monitor, so the card will run as if there's a monitor connected to it.

GTX1050 uses an older nvenc hardware encoder if my memory is correct, that doesn't produce as good quality as the more modern nvidia cards, and may actually be just as good or slightly worse than what you get with RX 6600 hardware encoder now. 

AMD has improved the AMF and hardware encoding, it's just programs like OBS and xsplit that need to update and support the newer AMF version.. see https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-amf-encoder-quality-boost

... Article is from July, so maybe the latest OBS adds support for this improved AMF on RX 6600. 

34 minutes ago, mariushm said:

GTX1050 uses an older nvenc hardware encoder if my memory is correct, that doesn't produce as good quality as the more modern nvidia cards, and may actually be just as good or slightly worse than what you get with RX 6600 hardware encoder now. 

Could be right there but most modernd encoders support CUDA by default, getting the AMD stuff to work can be tricky.