Does copying degrade jpg image quality?

Mark Kaine
Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,
3 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Copying the file won't make it non-lossless.  The loss has already occurred before you can copy it.

What happens when you open an image in Gimp, make some changes and save the result as 100% jpg?  Will that create more losses?

But just copying won't degrade the image further neither, file copy IS lossless 😛 

im just curious because jpg apparently is not lossless,  so what happens if you copy a jpg photo from one hard drive to another for example? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Copying the file won't make it non-lossless.  The loss has already occurred before you can copy it.

What happens when you open an image in Gimp, make some changes and save the result as 100% jpg?  Will that create more losses?

3 minutes ago, heimdali said:

But just copying won't degrade the image further neither, file copy IS lossless 😛 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

5 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Will that create more losses?

most definitely! 

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

i see, that's what I thought so you only get degradation when editing  -> saving as jpg , but not by simply copying? 

that's why I use png whenever possible,  but my phone camera seems to only do jpg, so i was wondering...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

As others have said, copying a file is lossless, assuming nothing goes wrong of course and the file gets corrupted.

Copying a file from one hard drive to another does not alter the content of the file.

Lossy formats irreversibly destroys data when they are encoded. For example when a program like paint creates an image file. If you open an image in paint, alter a pixel in the left corner and then save it as a JPEG, chances are the entire image will get degraded, not just the left corner. Do it again and the image will be even more degraded.

This thread reminded me of rotational velocidensity.

I guess that answers that... and yes, i was just asking because sometimes when you edit a jpg file it looks just fine and other times it looks horrible... so i thought it may be the same for copying,  but i see... it shouldn't degrade doing that (unless corruption etc)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

51 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

most definitely!

How do you know?  It's not like it looks different?

I tried it and saved a jpeg image at 100% and the files are different.  But it could be other things that gimp puts into the file.  And it would make perfect sense to me that the copy or altered version of an image, when saved at 100% quality, doesn't loose any more than the jpeg it was created from already lost.  There's no reason that it should degrade any further, especially not when it's a copy.

On 11/21/2022 at 10:42 PM, heimdali said:

How do you know?  It's not like it looks different?

I tried it and saved a jpeg image at 100% and the files are different.  But it could be other things that gimp puts into the file.  And it would make perfect sense to me that the copy or altered version of an image, when saved at 100% quality, doesn't loose any more than the jpeg it was created from already lost.  There's no reason that it should degrade any further, especially not when it's a copy.

It absolutely degrades further with each generation of copy that you make. You are recompressing it. Each time you recompress, more data is lost. 

35 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

It absolutely degrades further with each generation of copy that you make. You are recompressing it. Each time you recompress, more data is lost. 

^yup can definitely see it... it just varies from picture to picture...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Well, it makes sense that there is only method for saving jpegs which always will create losses, and I'm too lazy to look at the source code of gimp to find out.  It would be very inefficient to put more effort into it when you can simply copy the file when you want a lossless copy.