Gigabyte RTX 4080 Eagle 16GB No Display and Not Showing In Device Manager

Elbech
Go to solution Solved by Blai5e,

@Elbech - this might sound strange, but I know 2 people on the EVGA forums this has worked for (with the same card you have)... disconnect 1 of the 3 PCIE cables from the NVIDIA 12VHPWR adapter; i.e. use only using two of the three 8 Pin power connectors on the adapter. Apparently this has worked for people on Reddit as well.

I purchased the Gigabyte RTX 4080 Eagle on launch day and have been unable to use it. I installed the GPU in my PC and I get no signal from it. I took it to Micro Center to see if they could figure out why it wasn't displaying anything, and they couldn't figure it out either. They tried a second 4080 Eagle with my PC with no luck. The technician at Micro Center thinks that there is an issue with the BIOS that is causing the GPU to not be detected. I tried testing all of my PCI-E power cables with my RTX 2070 that works in the same PC and PCI-E slot, and they all work fine. While the 4080 is in, the PC boots fine but doesn't show the GPU in the Device Manager on Windows or in the BIOS. The RGB on the GPU also lights up when connected but the fans do not spin up at all. I tried ASUS support but all they told me is that I should get support from Gigabyte because the GPU may be incompatible, but I highly doubt that since both the motherboard and GPU are new products. I sent a support ticket to Gigabyte but have not heard back yet. If anybody has any tips for this I would greatly appreciate it!

Specs:

Mobo: ASUS PRIME Z790-P WIFI bios version 0602

CPU: i7-13700k

RAM: Trident Z5 DDR5 5600mhz 32GB (2x16GB)

PSU: ASUS ROG THOR 850W Platinum

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 4080 Eagle 16GB

Yeah its most likely gonna be a firmware issue. Probably going to require a Bios flash for the motherboard and a flash to the GPU. this happened with some 3080ti and 3090ti, they just werent recognized. 

Hi, 

I was trying to help my friend build a computer yesterday and we ran into the same issue. Using a Asus Prime x670-e Pro Wifi. Can't install GPU drivers, GPU is not detected. Updated the bios for the board, same issue. THe GPU has power, the LED lights do turn on but no fan and not being recognized. Please let me know if you find some type of solution.

Asus Prime x670-e Pro Wifi

AMD ryzen 9 7900x 

Gigabyte RTX 4080 Eagle 16GB

@Elbech - this might sound strange, but I know 2 people on the EVGA forums this has worked for (with the same card you have)... disconnect 1 of the 3 PCIE cables from the NVIDIA 12VHPWR adapter; i.e. use only using two of the three 8 Pin power connectors on the adapter. Apparently this has worked for people on Reddit as well.

^ I just tried this and it worked.  Got the suggestion from reddit too lol.....freaking cable. 

3 hours ago, Blai5e said:

Thank you so much for this! It worked for me! You are a life saver!

If anyone comes across an explanation as to the reason(s) this solution works, post it here for all of us to puzzle over the why. Might be something for Gamers Nexus (or Anthony) to ponder over, especially seeing it appears to uniquely affect Gigabyte.

Same issues and same "solution" for me with Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC.

I have the Gigabyte 4080 Eagle OC and encountered exactly the same problem.  The same solution worked!  Wow.  I am dumbfounded.  Can't wait to hear the explanation on this.

I'll even add my basic stats in case there's any relevance:

Ryzen 7700X

Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX with latest BIOS (version F7a as of this writing)
3G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo Series AMD EXPO 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000

I also had this issue and it worked for me. Should I continue to run the card with only two power adapters?

5 hours ago, TOMAHACK said:

I also had this issue and it worked for me. Should I continue to run the card with only two power adapters?

I had the same issue.  I bought a 12vrpwr adapter on Amazon to replace the one that came with card.  Now all 3 PCIE power cables work on my RTX4080.

16 hours ago, rebelstro said:

I had the same issue.  I bought a 12vrpwr adapter on Amazon to replace the one that came with card.  Now all 3 PCIE power cables work on my RTX4080.

I've been waiting for somebody to do this (although this is just a sample of one ATM). I was leaning towards the actual adapter being the issue simply because it seems Gigabyte is the only OEM suffering this phenomenon. I wonder if Gigabyte source their adapters from a different source than others (and not NVIDIA) yet it's still very strange that any two PCIE power cables to the adapter work but three don't (and I come from an electric engineering background).

Okay.. So Im not loosing my mind then.. I literally am Baffled, I literally have a brand new set up cant even use it.. literally same issue as everyone else .. Bought a Gigabyte 4080 OC Gaming , arrived IM happy I got it.. Set up new build over $3K , get to the GPU to install it .. boot up normal load in as for any new setup .. Updated bios ,, Running a Asus Rog Strix x670E-E, updated to latest Bios 0805, Gpu Lights up on the the gigabyte logo, fans not running , I tried even the 2 PciE cable thing.. still nothing.. anyone have any Idea's on how to fix this .. I Submitted a RMA .. just in case with NEWEGG, but if I can get it running before Monday.. I will cancel the rMA.. this just blows my mind .. currently running off the AMD 7900x Intergrated graphics just to type this . out to you guys .. Any an all suggestions / Solutions would be great, Maybe Im doing something Wrong IDK Any and ALL SUGGESTIONS IM open to.. also .. Happy Thanksgiving..  Setup below  

AMD 7900x
ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E (MOBO) Running latest bios 0805 
GSkill DDR5 16x2 (32GB 5600MHZ) 
Corsair 1000W RMe (Gen 4 PSU) 
Gigabyte RTX4080 Gaming OC (THIS FN THING GAHHH) 
Corsair H150i Elite LCD 
Corsair 5000x RGB CASE  

I had the same problem since yesterday when I started to build a new system with

AsRock Z790 Taichi motherboard
Intel 13900K processor

G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 64GB (2x32)

EVGA P+ 1300 power

Gigabyte RTX 4080 Eagle OC 16G
Any other card will work but this no video. Things light up on the mobo, including this card's Gigabyte logo but card fans not spinning.
So I searched and landed here. Tried connecting only two cables instead of the three and it started working! Now I am worried, is it ok to operate (intense video editing, DaVinci resolve) with only two cables connected?
I was getting ready to return the card to MicroCenter tomorrow (closed today for Thanksgiving) but it's at least working now. Don't know if I should keep this or exchange for another brand.

10 hours ago, UrbanowlOfficial said:

Okay.. So Im not loosing my mind then.. I literally am Baffled, I literally have a brand new set up cant even use it.. literally same issue as everyone else .. Bought a Gigabyte 4080 OC Gaming , arrived IM happy I got it.. Set up new build over $3K , get to the GPU to install it .. boot up normal load in as for any new setup .. Updated bios ,, Running a Asus Rog Strix x670E-E, updated to latest Bios 0805, Gpu Lights up on the the gigabyte logo, fans not running , I tried even the 2 PciE cable thing.. still nothing.. anyone have any Idea's on how to fix this .. I Submitted a RMA .. just in case with NEWEGG, but if I can get it running before Monday.. I will cancel the rMA.. this just blows my mind .. currently running off the AMD 7900x Intergrated graphics just to type this . out to you guys .. Any an all suggestions / Solutions would be great, Maybe Im doing something Wrong IDK Any and ALL SUGGESTIONS IM open to.. also .. Happy Thanksgiving..  Setup below  

AMD 7900x
ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E (MOBO) Running latest bios 0805 
GSkill DDR5 16x2 (32GB 5600MHZ) 
Corsair 1000W RMe (Gen 4 PSU) 
Gigabyte RTX4080 Gaming OC (THIS FN THING GAHHH) 
Corsair H150i Elite LCD 
Corsair 5000x RGB CASE  

Have you tried FW update? https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5411/?=&linkId=100000163736896

Are you using 12VHPWR adapter? or do you have PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR cable directly from PSU?

In my case it was faulty 12VHPWR adapter, i have tried my adapter with different RTX 4080 and it didn`t work...

6 hours ago, mberat333 said:

Have you tried FW update? https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5411/?=&linkId=100000163736896

Are you using 12VHPWR adapter? or do you have PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR cable directly from PSU?

In my case it was faulty 12VHPWR adapter, i have tried my adapter with different RTX 4080 and it didn`t work...

I used the the 12VHPWR adapter that was included with the 4080 Gigabyte OC Gaming.. I tested the leads on it with my multimeter and it was infact the adapter not to mention I took a closer look at the pins on the card and several of the pins look damaged .. So RMA' time it is .. I will be sending back to NewEgg today ... and getting it replaced .. thanks for the help though Very much appreciated .. I took the extra time to go back and check another Gpu in my new set up with a Rtx 3060 and it worked just fine so that tells me my Mobo is fine and power was fine from my PSU .. the Adapter from the 4080 is just Garbage.. why they decided to do this weird 3 pcie 8pin setup with a micro 12vHpwr with shit connectors is beyond me .. (Yes I know the cards need more POWER) they could have insulated the cableing better they could have done better QA on these to ensure that this sort of thing wouldnt happen.. hell they could have even made the pin connector itself bigger so it was like a Standard pcie connection even with the data tooths .. oh well.. we will know in a week or two the issue was resolved or not .. 

Same problem.4080 gaming oc .No go .Ordered cable mod cable.will see.

39 minutes ago, UrbanowlOfficial said:

I took a closer look at the pins on the card and several of the pins look damaged ..

You don't have pictures of this do you? Gigabyte had issues with some of the adapters that were in their 30 series Vision, Eagle and Gaming cards. Curious if this is a similar problem.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

• 2 weeks later...

Small update.Card started and working perfect with cable from amazon.Waiting cable mod direct connection to psu cable.

Guys, thank you for the connect two-pin suggestion. The GPU starts but there is no display (black screen). Can anyone guide what to do?

P.S. I have Gigabyte Z690 DDR5, Intel 13600K and Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC.

I just installed the my GeForce RTX 4080 16GB EAGLE OC and also had the same issues above and was able to resolve by disconnecting one of the cables from the adapter.

Is someone able to point me to the amazon solution? Is there anything specific or are all of these adapters pretty much the same?

Also how dangerous is it to leave just 2 of the connections in and no 3rd until I get the replacement.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone found a definite answer/solution to what the problem is with Gigabyte 40 series cards not posting? I just did my first build (technically 2nd but I only had the first one for less than a year and had to sell it :/) and I went with a gigabyte 4080 OC Aero on an ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A D4 board with a i9-12900k cpu.

I’m still having the black screen / no-POST problem. I saw another thread that also suggested using 2/3 Pcie connectors instead of all 3. I tried using only 2/3 connectors but had no luck. I was able to boot through mobo and device manager wasn’t listing the GPU. Tried downloading drivers and initially NVIDIA wouldn’t allow it due to no detection of the GPU. The next day I tried the same thing and, to my surprise, it took the driver update and the GPU was listed in device manager. However, still unable to post from/ no display from GPU.

Tried clearing CMOS and updating Bios but then the GPU was no longer in Device manager. Still can’t post from GPU, only mobo.

I am still fairly new to this so it’s entirely possible I did something wrong or don’t know a key piece of information.

I did order the Corsair 12vhpwr cable replacement today and I’m hoping that can solve the issue if nothing else. Any advice is welcome.