Applications go black along with screen

crostiger

Ok so hope I can describe this well enough but sometimes more then others my second screen which is a tv will go black if I unplug it from the tv or the graphics card it comes back sometimes for a day sometimes will go a month. And sometimes along with loosing the display some applications will go black usually on the tv like the application is still there it is just a black window. I don't see anything in event viewer. graphics card is a 1070 windows 10 pro

So the TV does this every time you pull the plug out?  And you think there is something wrong?  There might be. But not with the television. I think the problem is the definition of “it”.

if you pull the plug out BECAUSE it has gone black that is a different thing though.  Something might be overheating for one, the whole app but not tv loses coherence implies it’s something with the cpu not the gpu.  Probably need to know the make and model of everything here.  It sounds like a laptop and a TV.  TV model may not be useful but the laptop (if it is a laptop) may well be.

Another possibility is the laptop crashes when you remove the second monitor without shutting down.  What is the connection to the TV?

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So the TV does this every time you pull the plug out?  And you think there is something wrong?  There might be. But not with the television. I think the problem is the definition of “it”.

if you pull the plug out BECAUSE it has gone black that is a different thing though.  Something might be overheating for one, the whole app but not tv loses coherence implies it’s something with the cpu not the gpu.  Probably need to know the make and model of everything here.  It sounds like a laptop and a TV.  TV model may not be useful but the laptop (if it is a laptop) may well be.

Another possibility is the laptop crashes when you remove the second monitor without shutting down.  What is the connection to the TV?

Ok so it is a desktop not sure on the model of tv but it is a samsung 32inch cpu is a 11700k motherboard is tuf z590 tuf wifi. Main monitor is a asus. And I have had it happen while I was there to witness the tv goes black a couple times everything went to main monitor other times not tell I unplug the TV. Some of the time its just applications that Go black but only on the TV which is weird. According to hardware info all temps are fine and temps are also ok in bios.

Mispost

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Is it A prebuilt or a whitebox?  What cpu does it have?  Is it old or newish?

2 hours ago, crostiger said:

Ok so it is a desktop not sure on the model of tv but it is a samsung 32inch cpu is a 11700k motherboard is tuf z590 tuf wifi. Main monitor is a asus. And I have had it happen while I was there to witness the tv goes black a couple times everything went to main monitor other times not tell I unplug the TV. Some of the time its just applications that Go black but only on the TV which is weird. According to hardware info all temps are fine and temps are also ok in bios.

So newish intel (not really old anyway which was possible) probably a whitebox (home built) what does it have for graphics?  A video card or are you running off the iGPU?

1 hour ago, crostiger said:

Evga 1070sc

Not familiar with sc.  might make a difference. I’ll pretend it’s a standard 1070. I guess VV.   It’s an old card, so the possibility of it just starting to fail is non-zero.  I’ve never seen them fail in that way before.  Just artifacting if some kind.  I’m sort of wondering about the rest of windows.  Is this running 10 or 11? Which update may matter.  Or may not. The newest is 9h22 iirc in both cases.  I kinda want to verify the other hardware. A chkdsk probably couldn’t hurt.

• 1 month later...

Sorry its been a while been busy so was still doing it and getting way worse. I decided to do a SFC /scannow and didn't take long but did find some corrupt files but was able to fix them have ran it a couple times at random and seems ok but don't want to get ahead of my self. Also after that did a clean graphics driver install after avast would let me download from nvidias site.