Do I need to quote them?

Gat Pelsinger
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

You should quote them.

By default, if you post a topic you'll get notified when someone replies, but others won't unless they manually follow the thread, so you should quote them so they get notified you responded.

EDIT: It also helps make it clear who/what you're responding to if there are multiple posts, so best to quote reply either way.

10 hours ago, Hairless Monkey Boy said:

I do not want to follow this thread. Rarely do I want to follow any threads I post in. I think that is true for most people.

Then why do you post anything at all?  Obviously you're not interested in any thread.

8 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I would agree. But you, I or anyone else can't make a member reply, that is entirely up to them if they so choose to, whether they get a notif or not.

That depends on the notification settings.  Those wouldn't change, only the default of one would change.

Er no. You are making this entirely too difficult.

The forum software makes it confusing.  Ask around to see how many users know exactly how these notifications work and what options they have.  Also, ask them what they expect to happen by default.

The option to make it default is there and available in the settings, it's not even hidden.

Even with a screenshot it was difficult to find, so I call it a hidden setting.

All new members should take the time to understand the forum they are using, read the community standards and review the settings that govern their posting. This should be customary practice but it's not and I would say that the biggest reason is due to laziness but that would be too harsh to say so I won't.

Ask the users how well they are informed about the settings and if they read the standards.  If they don't even want to follow threads, they probably can't be bothered to read standards and to go through all the settings and to find out what they do.

Just because something, such as this topic, makes sense to you doesn't to others nor does it suit all people. I for one do not want to auto follow every topic I post in.

Right, and nobody is being forced to get notifications.  Like I said, I'm not suggesting to remove the abilitiy to change your preferences.

If I post something and another member want to reply to me specifically, I expect them to follow proper etiquette and either quote me or @ me as would it be in any other forum ever created as it is proper etiquette.

Not all forums are the same and the default has always been to get notified of further posts once you posted in a thread.  It's this forum which is different and has a weird default.  If the default was to follow threads you posted in, the etiquette could be changed so that unnecessary quoting could be avoided and the extra work of refering to someone with an @ sign isn't necessary.  Do you think users that can't be bothered to follow threads would know about the etiquette?

Good example of my point above. The really wonderful thing is we have the option to follow at the top of every topic so we made it available in easy form. See my screen shot and then scroll to the top of this topic... its there. Easy button engaged.

image.png.6c2eaa043b507e26189d51c637f6b503.png

Well, you don't seem to get the point.  I'm starting to wonder why this forum even exists when everyone is expected not to follow threads they posted in and when nobody wants to follow threads.  Obviously the attitude is "I don't care and I can't be bothered and I don't want to know or learn anything, and most certainly I never want to take part in any discussion".  So why even post at all?

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Nooo. It really, really shouldn't. The amount of notifications that generates is extremely unpleasant.

Like I said, group the notifications by thread.

I don't understand, though.  Are you saying you don't want to follow threads just because you could get notifications?  If that's so, then why do you even log in here?  To see only the threads you're not interested in?

Besides, you won't get all notifications but only those from threads you posted in, and only when you leave the setting at its default.  So what's the problem?

58 minutes ago, heimdali said:

That depends on the notification settings.  Those wouldn't change, only the default of one would change.

The forum software makes it confusing.  Ask around to see how many users know exactly how these notifications work and what options they have.  Also, ask them what they expect to happen by default.

Even with a screenshot it was difficult to find, so I call it a hidden setting.

Ask the users how well they are informed about the settings and if they read the standards.  If they don't even want to follow threads, they probably can't be bothered to read standards and to

go through all the settings and to find out what they do.

Right, and nobody is being forced to get notifications.  Like I said,

Not all forums are the same and the default has always been to get notified of further posts once you posted in a thread.  It's this forum which is different and has a weird default.  If the default was to follow threads you posted in, the etiquette could be changed so that unnecessary quoting could be avoided and the extra work of refering to someone with an @ sign isn't necessary.  Do you think users that can't be bothered to follow threads would know about the etiquette?

Well, you don't seem to get the point.  I'm starting to wonder why this forum even exists when everyone is expected not to follow threads they posted in and when nobody wants to follow threads.  Obviously the attitude is "I don't care and I can't be bothered and I don't want to know or learn anything, and most certainly I never want to take part in any discussion".  So why even post at all?

I 100% understood your point.

Now you are correct that it is not like other forums, this forum just happens to be the culmination of years of tweaking and design to meet the consensus of the community. Yes, you are one person, and you have your opinion, and we respect that you want to give feedback as we would expect any member to do. Thus, the reason for this section and its existence. But you are making this as a "hey I think this dumb and needs to be changed" instead of a "I have a suggest that I believe could be advantageous to the community" assuming that there is a large majority that thinks the same as yourself. I am saying that maybe you should stop for a second and reconsider that position for a moment and take into consideration this; The community has grown a lot over the years and the design and changes have been a part of that same growth. Maybe the reason we have this as the default is because prior to you joining the forum is because there is a large majority that prefers it the way it is now?

Instead of assuming I have taken a very narrow perception on this subject and what you have said and acting on that to make your augment, I suggest you should weigh your argument through a few point views first before saying it. I have nothing personal against what you say and neither do I have issue with you giving your input. But your reply pretty much weighed in on the point I made by making attempts to justify for every element of my comment as to why it should be in favor of your suggestion. Thank you by the way for doing so.

58 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Like I said, I'm not suggesting to remove the abilitiy to change your preferences.

No one is suggesting as much. It has only been pointed out it is there and other very easy ways to find. Takes about 30seconds to open the settings page and make the change or ten seconds to jump to the top of the page and select or select follow topic at the time of commenting or replying.

You are trying very hard to dismiss the very open and easy methods available to obfuscate the issue and demand the forum to change to meet your expectations. There 3 ways available to trip over to make this easy. Most members do not want to receive a thousand notifications a day to sift through. It is way more effort on our members to have a default to auto follow every topic they post, reply or comment in rather than to opt into a topic they post to.

I tell my children this more than I like but this suits this reply quite well; if it were a snake, you would have been bitten a dozen times over by now.

There 3 very well placed and easy locations to follow a topic built into his forum.

image.thumb.jpeg.b7f02709ffc055e24428f17dfa6247ee.jpeg

image.jpeg.21dff4b32564fdf0daefabf09f309e50.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9950198eedd1c4c6a79e3d406ff80751.jpeg

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, NvidiaFirePro6900XXTX3DPRO said:

MOD! Just close this thread already.

Done. 🔒

@heimdali if you would like to make a separate suggestion regarding notifications please create a new topic.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450