Imagine having only 4k resolution lol

Rin5743

Imagine the bandwidth increase if everyone (including cable TV) were on 8K 😮

Having more pixels per inch will always make an image more seamless and lifelike, problem is its unlikely movies are going to be made in 8K, not all are even mastered in 4K today so you have to make do with upscaling and HDR bringing the biggest benefit.

I only have a 4K TV and have no plans to upgrade any time soon, but I've also seen photos and TV shows/movies on my Macbook Pro vs my TV and the image is much more pleasing on the eyes when the pixels per inch are more dense.  Problem is the above, there wont be much content to give you that benefit on an larger 8K screen, although text and high resolution photos will look nicer.

I'd probably go 6K on a 28" monitor as I can still just make out the pixels at 4K, although for now higher refresh rate has a bigger impact on comfort in using the PC.

I do find it kinda strange how people dismiss 8K as purely a gimmick though, considering their phone is already using a much higher PPI and people seem to like that.  Nobody is begging for phones to go back to 720p because those extra pixels are worthless.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

8 minutes ago, AlexQC said:

Imagine the bandwidth increase if everyone (including cable TV) were on 8K 😮

Most broadcast TV in my experience never went proper HD, they reduced the horizontal resolution to save bandwidth.  They also reduced the bitrate over the years making it look worse and worse.

Streaming services also tend to sacrifice the finer details to save bandwidth, the whole point of having a higher resolution.  If you really want to be shocked at how bad it is, find a good movie mastered in 4K on UHD Bluray, its a night/day difference to streaming services.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

They aren't lying about it.  Not all 1080 videos look bad but what you get from TV stations here sucks so badly that I refuse to watch it because of poor image quality.  1080 is barely acceptable even when it looks ok.

Compare to that the clarity 4k videos offer and imagine what it might look like in 8k, and I guess "4k partly visible" may be an understatement.