{CAN} reputable pc-part-picker-sites / stores / brands in Canada?

Hi. I might buy pc parts during Black Friday (or Boxing day). Nothing expensive.
Sites like newegg.ca, ca.pcpartpicker.com/, bestbuy.ca, ebay.ca.
Are they good?

Which sites or brands are recommended?

Edit: Same question, but for used parts? (i'll probably watch a video on buying used parts)

Do's and Don'ts for building a pc in Canada?

(Ps i'll use Linux: Zorin OS 16.2 Lite Xfce)

General Build Idea:
- Cpu (and sometimes ram) is my bottleneck for: 3d animation made to look like cartoons, simple video editing, recording screen.
- Gpu isn't really a bottleneck right now, so that's why I'll just use my old one for now.
- Intel i3-10100 (or something with a few more cores)
- Small motherboard and case
- Either 1x16GB or 2x16GB with option to get up to 4x16GB's, maybe more if needed.
- I'll use old parts for the rest.

Questions:
- Is it safe to use an old psu?
- I have a Thermaltake TR2-500W psu from a used pc lying around. I got the dust out. It still works afaik.
- And I also have whatever psu my Dell xps 8500 pc has, but I'll probably use this pc to slowly render stuff while doing other stuff on the main pc.

- Is using 2 pcs like this doable? My dad told me if too much is plugged in one socket, the breaker thingy downstairs will shut it if, so there's no safety concern. But just curious about what I can expect.

- If I need a new gpu later, and it won't fit, can I simply replace the small case with a big one and transfer all the parts?
- If I need to, I can just swap the 10100 out for an 11900 cpu since it's the same socket, right? Or would there be some complicated bios thingy I have to do?

Let me know. Thanks!

Here are the sites I use in Canada for computer parts:

• Amazon Canada
  • NewEgg.ca
  • MemoryExpress.com
  • CanadaComputers.com

Do and don'ts? For Amazon and NewEgg make sure you are not buying from a third party seller (or that you vetted it).

9 minutes ago, AlexQC said:

Here are the sites I use in Canada for computer parts:

• Amazon Canada
  • NewEgg.ca
  • MemoryExpress.com
  • CanadaComputers.com

Do and don'ts? For Amazon and NewEgg make sure you are not buying from a third party seller (or that you vetted it).

How about checking the profile of a "top rated seller" on ebay.ca? If they have lots of positive feedback, and have been around for years, i can trust them, right?

39 minutes ago, AMixOfGeekContent said:

How about checking the profile of a "top rated seller" on ebay.ca? If they have lots of positive feedback, and have been around for years, i can trust them, right?

Yes exactly. But keep in mind that for computer parts from third party on Amazon and Newegg you might pay scalper prices so check other sources (price check) prior buying from them.

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning, the Hot Deals section is to alert people of good deals and unusual discounts that may be around. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, AMixOfGeekContent said:

- If I need to, I can just swap the 10100 out for an 11900 cpu since it's the same socket, right? Or would there be some complicated bios thingy I have to do?

10100 is a bad idea. It’s a dead platform and doesn’t perform that well. The 12100 is not much more expensive and you can go all the way to 13th gen.

Here’s a good cheap build in a compact case, with a good PSU (your PSUs, no offense, are kinda shit- ticking time bombs. NEVER cheap out on a PSU) https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8tCvC6

If you’re willing to build in an ITX case, the Meshroom S is good, and fits mATX motherboards with an SFX PSU. It’s hard to find in canada, but you can get it shipped from the U.S. for not much more I think.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/PrcPLs

On 11/8/2022 at 5:42 PM, NF-A12x25 said:

10100 is a bad idea. It’s a dead platform and doesn’t perform that well. The 12100 is not much more expensive and you can go all the way to 13th gen.

Here’s a good cheap build in a compact case, with a good PSU (your PSUs, no offense, are kinda shit- ticking time bombs. NEVER cheap out on a PSU) https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8tCvC6

If you’re willing to build in an ITX case, the Meshroom S is good, and fits mATX motherboards with an SFX PSU. It’s hard to find in canada, but you can get it shipped from the U.S. for not much more I think.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/PrcPLs

Ooh thanks about the psu. I guess I'll get a new one then.
So the 12100, is the mobo and ram also similar prices to 10th gen? The 10100 would be better than my current 3770 cpu, at least according to cpubenchmark.net, and I wouldn't mind saving $100. I'm gonna check out review videos on the 10100.
I was thinking of going 12th gen, but i don't wanna spend too much money.
Then again... maybe 10100 might not be enough of a boost for me...

5 minutes ago, AMixOfGeekContent said:

Ooh thanks about the psu. I guess I'll get a new one then.
So the 12100, is the mobo and ram also similar prices to 10th gen? The 10100 would be better than my current 3770 cpu, at least according to cpubenchmark.net, and I wouldn't mind saving $100. I'm gonna check out review videos on the 10100.
I was thinking of going 12th gen, but i don't wanna spend too much money.
Then again... maybe 10100 might not be enough of a boost for me...

The 12100 is much better and the mobo shouldn’t be *too* much more expensive, although it will be a little more, and ram is the same.

10 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

The 12100 is much better and the mobo shouldn’t be *too* much more expensive, although it will be a little more, and ram is the same.

Thanks so much! Yeah, the 12100 is so much better than 10100. 13700's not bad for a future upgrade. 13900 even better assuming i can afford a big enough psu. I might lean towards 12th/13th gen, assuming i can afford it.