AX1200i Appears dead - No self test light

Serin

Hey all, long time no post.

Was doing some 3D rendering today in blender eevee realtime engine today, and very suddenly my PC shut off.
No joy on the restart and a red light on the PSU when everything was plugged in.
Took it out and am now getting a click, smol fan spin and no green or red light.

Tried the old 'leave it unplugged for 30 minutes' trick. Still red lighted me when it was all plugged in, and no lighted me in this unplugged state.
This thread is largely just me asking whether or not I'm safe to go grab another PSU from the store and see wtf is going on - safe to say I have concerns about killing yet another PSU. 

GT1F6j9.jpg

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

28 minutes ago, Serin said:

This thread is largely just me asking whether or not I'm safe to go grab another PSU from the store and see wtf is going on - safe to say I have concerns about killing yet another PSU.

I would say definitely yes.

The fact that the PSU died doesn't necessarily mean that a new PSU will die instantaneously.

Just make sure you get a quality PSU like the one you've had.

If I may ask how old is the current/dead PSU?

6 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

I would say definitely yes.

The fact that the PSU died doesn't necessarily mean that a new PSU will die instantaneously.

Just make sure you get a quality PSU like the one you've had.

If I may ask how old is the current/dead PSU?

Yeah, good question... Trying to remember...
I think probably 2018? Maybe 2019. It was a holdover from when I was running a maxwell titan x and 1080ti with a 5960x - on an 5800x and 3090 now. So fairly old.
Still within warranty. 

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Just now, Serin said:

Yeah, good question... Trying to remember...
I think probably 2018? Maybe 2019. It was a holdover from when I was running a maxwell titan x and 1080ti with a 5960x - on an 5800x and 3090 now. So fairly old.
Still within warranty. 

If it's still within warranty you COULD go that route, although you will be without power until they figure out what's wrong or send you a replacement obviously.

Honestly never had to use Corsair's warranty department so I don't know how fast they are.

But to answer your original question, you should be good with a new PSU.

For your use-case though, make sure you get a good model.

10 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

If it's still within warranty you COULD go that route, although you will be without power until they figure out what's wrong or send you a replacement obviously.

Honestly never had to use Corsair's warranty department so I don't know how fast they are.

But to answer your original question, you should be good with a new PSU.

For your use-case though, make sure you get a good model.

Yep defs. I'll RMA the sucker - but ugh work means I have to go buy a bloody new one tomorrow. Really looking forward to that 3 hour drive.

And yep yep. Probably looking at the HX1500i. Unfortunately not much in the way of 1000w+ seasonic here as far as I can tell.
Or maybe those weirdo Asus ones... Dunno. 

Also, oh thank frak. She lives.
Cheers for the advice, Fuzz0r! 

8ti7v99.jpg

Cheese monger.

• 4 months later...

Les cuento mi experiencia con este fuente de poder Corsair AX1200i, tengo con ella alrededor de 5 años, en los cuales trabajo de manera eficiente y sin problemas, harta que un día de la nada dió esa falla de no arrancar y encender el led rojo. Cómo ya no tenía garantía de fabrica decidí abrir la fuente y revisar si no había algún daño interno en algún componente. Después de verificar que ningún componente estuviera dañado o en mal estado volví hacer la prueba y termino con el mismo resultado de no arrancar y solo encender el led rojo del sistema de prueba. Cómo estaba enojado con el resultado, en mi despecho de enojo golpeé la PSU con la mano abierta varias veces por el enojo 😅😅. Después de golpearla varias veces y estar apunto de botarla a la basura decidí probarla una última vez y cuál fue mi sorpresa? Arranco nuevamente sin problemas durante unos días hasta que volvió a presentar la falla. Por curiosidad tengo una estación de calor para soldar y desoldar componentes, así que desarme la PSU y decidí aplicar calor con la pistola de aire caliente en el área inferior sobre las soldaduras de los componentes durante 5 minutos. Después de eso volví a ensamblarla y probar nuevamente si funcionaba y sorpresa!! La PSU arranco nuevamente sin problemas. De ese echo fue hace casi ya un año y hasta hoy volvió a presentar la falla nuevamente. Sospechoso que la falla pueda estar en alguna soldadura mal realizada y recordemos que el ventilador de la fuente no arranca hasta alcanzar cierto grado de consumo o temperatura. Por lo cual este sea el causante de la falla después de estar trabando con la PSU un tiempo. Sigo investigando y poniendo a prueba ciertos parámetros de la fuente para dar con la verdadera falla. Espero tener prontas noticias sobre ella. Saludos

IMG_20230325_114930.jpg

IMG_20230325_115309.jpg