Fractal cases comparable to NZXT H5?

theninja35

I've been looking online at Fractal cases but just built a computer with someone that used the H5 Flow in white. What a fantastic case. It's very well thought out, with cable management tie-downs, velcro straps, and metal tabs to tuck cables without tying them down. There are multiple mesh coverings that are either magnetic or sliders and they are gorgeous!

I'm wondering if there's anything from Fractal that has comparable cable management features and visual appeal (clean with neat materials and cool patterns). I was interested in Fractal because they seemed to be more water-cooling friendly and quieter. What I'd like is something that looks and functions like the H5 Flow but will fit larger radiators and a reservoir. The H7 Flow is nice but it's not as clean with the full perforated metal panels instead of mesh screens and the perforated power supply shroud.

Thanks in advance.

NZXT has been pretty shit for a  while now imo in terms of quality control, they peaked years ago and often times have cases that are pretty awful, then they make the Airflow version that is actually usable so its not bad. They have had plenty of bad cases, a few really good ones that have everything you could want, and then some just odd cases.

Fractal has been pretty consistent, they make good quality cases and often perform well. They have had some questionable cases, but they do make good cases for airflow.

I would look at Gamers Nexus vids on cases, they do a very good job on this kind of thing. The H5 Flow is just an average Mid tower case, and since they kinda skimped on fans it loses in the price since you kinda have to spend 20-40$ on fans to make it properly function.

Its funny reading this thread as from the perspective of someone in the game for a while, the complete opposite is true. I look at NZXT case design as an old and tired refrigerator that's been recycled since the S340. Since then and with the ubiquitous H510 they've got a name for being awful airflow hotboxes as well. The H510 Flow and H7 Flow improved that a bit but IMO that design is just old and overdone not to mention cheaply made. They're incredibly popular with new people getting into hobby though as the tiktok generation seems to love white and RGB and NZXT markets this heavily to those that don't know any better. 

Meanwhile Fractal is knocking it out of the park with incredibly high quality and well regarded cases. I'd say they have something for everyone with the Focus 2 giving you everything you want for entry level, the Pop Air line holding down the  lower midrange spot, extensive Meshify line being a jack of all trades high quality mid range case and the high end Torrent line as good as it gets for design (IMO) and high end air cooling. The old school Define line still some of the beefiest silence focused cases as well. 

I wouldn't suggest NZXT to anyone while so many good alternatives exist.

The H5 Flow and H7 Flow are NZXT finally responding to the huge amounts of entirely deserved criticism they've gotten for just dressing up the same fundamentally flawed hotbox design year after year.

The cable routing channels on the back side of NZXT cases can be nice. That's about the end of the list of positive things to remark about with NZXT cases, from a design and usability standpoint. The other stuff mentioned - tie-downs, magnetic filters, etc. - are not in any way innovative or exclusive to NZXT, various cases have had these features for years. 

Meanwhile Fractal has consistently been one of the top case brands for design, ergonomics, quality-of-life features, iterating and improving, and having a wide range of products to suit different budgets, uses, and aesthetic tastes (whereas since 2015 when the S340 came out, NZXT's entire lineup has basically been the S340 design in different sizes and with more glass and RGB). 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

On 11/6/2022 at 11:04 PM, Middcore said:

The H5 Flow and H7 Flow are NZXT finally responding to the huge amounts of entirely deserved criticism they've gotten for just dressing up the same fundamentally flawed hotbox design year after year.

The cable routing channels on the back side of NZXT cases can be nice. That's about the end of the list of positive things to remark about with NZXT cases, from a design and usability standpoint. The other stuff mentioned - tie-downs, magnetic filters, etc. - are not in any way innovative or exclusive to NZXT, various cases have had these features for years. 

Meanwhile Fractal has consistently been one of the top case brands for design, ergonomics, quality-of-life features, iterating and improving, and having a wide range of products to suit different budgets, uses, and aesthetic tastes (whereas since 2015 when the S340 came out, NZXT's entire lineup has basically been the S340 design in different sizes and with more glass and RGB). 

What differences would make something like a Define Compact worth the extra money over the H5 in your opinion? I've never used a Fractal case and don't really have a point of reference for comparison.