I found CHEAP hard drives on eBay!

HC_writes
1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Meanwhile my cheap hard drives have 55K power-on time and only 517 load/unload cycles each.

As for Reallocated Sectors Count, Reported Uncorrectable Errors, Command Timeout, Current Pending Sector Count and Uncorrectable Sector Count  - All of them are at 0 on all drives 😎

Nice, I love HDDs that refuse to die. I had a lot of really old SCSI disks like that. Probably would still work today if I didn't throw them out haha

Bahh... 15000 power on hours, rookie numbers!

The disks in one of my RAID1 arrays have 51 762 power on hours, my other RAID1 array have 27 668 power on hours.

Given this is my home NAS so it doesn't have to work as much as a corporate server 😛 

all the cheap used drives I've bought have had their smart data wiped. 

or they were just brand new, but pressing X

either way I paid $11.50 per TB and literally dont care about buynew cope. 

one great usecase for such drives is surveillance servers, that's what I bought them for. Zero redundancy, zero risk. if it dies, it dies, the footage is gone but I dont really care and neither would most people. 

I've sold most of my drives at around the 50k/hour mark. i still have about a dozen old 3TB WD Red's at about 40-50k hours i should probably get rid of...I initially held onto them for a Test Lab iSCSi setup but dont think im going to bother with that when ive been running it virtually for a couple of years now. 

I typically "decom" my drives every 5 years and move to a new array. The scariest part isnt running old drives, it's validating new ones and ensuring the new array is healthy and migrating data.  I've had more drives die in the first few weeks than I have after several years. I've only had 2 real data losses due to failed drives that were old. One was a 200GB back in about 2005, and the other was a 2TB back in about 2011.

I've actually found WD White He8's shucked from WD EasyStores so far to be the most reliable drives with 0% failure rate..theyre now going on 3 years old. Seagate Barracudas, IronWolfs, WD Reds, WD Greens, ive had at least 1 failure in with sample sizes of 1/4 the size of my EasyStore shucked drives. 

I've noticed as well that there are a LOT of *Refurbished* EXOS drives going on Amazon recently for a hefty discount from the "Amazon Renewed Store". They do only come with a 90-day guarantee, however 18TB EXO's I guess would still be in manufacturer's warranty period for at least another year or so since they only became available in late 2020. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

5 hours ago, froogers said:

Did this video have a new editor or something, or was it just really rushed? I saw quite a lot of mistakes (The 25000 hour drives were more expensive than the 15000, Sentinel was misspelled, in the SMART scores, they listed Seagate as having no 187 or 188, when that said that it was WD that didn’t have them).

You must be new here. LTT vids are notorious for crap like that.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Anyone know why this video was removed from Floatplane?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

My favorite thing is when the presenter starts talking about some specific aspect of the product and is about show the thing they are talking about in A roll and then they switch to a B roll shot that doesnt include the aspect of that they are talking about.

On 11/7/2022 at 2:58 AM, leadeater said:

One of the wear concern for Chia is the power on hours and unload/load cycles. Really low tier HDDs have really bad unload/load cycle ratings of 150,000 and below where higher end NAS HDDs will be 600,000 and the enterprise disks have no defined maximum aka unlimited.

Personally I would plot only using HDDs as well, I have no desire to create SSD killing machines lol.

Either way an HDD used in a high demand backup workload environment will die much faster than from Chia.

load/unload cycle counts as in the heads parking for power efficiency during the idle time?

I looked at my drives thru CrystalDisk, some have about 10.5K load/unload cycles, others 3K. One, a WD 7200 4TB only 252 count with 61K hours, kind of unbelievable. Depends on the firmware and how they were used before I bought them. If a drive does tend to park aggressively, could go in and turn off Advanced Power Management. Wow a # of my Hitachi 7k4000 ultrastars have 70K hours now. 

Just now, danwat1234 said:

load/unload cycle counts as in the heads parking for power efficiency during the idle time?

Yup. I remember hearing horror stories of WD Green drives failing when used in NAS enclosures, because they parked the heads far too often.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

10 minutes ago, danwat1234 said:

I looked at my drives thru CrystalDisk, some have about 10.5K load/unload cycles, others 3K. One, a WD 7200 4TB only 252 count with 61K hours, kind of unbelievable.

Yea, but based on your numbers it's not a problem. I expected way higher but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I don't feel these drives are cheap enough to outweigh the missing warranty. (Or are they still under warranty? I remember that last time I returned a drive they only cared for the number on it and not whether I actually bought it.)

On 11/7/2022 at 1:17 PM, Radium_Angel said:

I've been watching LTT videos for 3 years now. Yeah, there's a lot of mistakes, a lot more than other channels, but normally there isn't this many.

On 11/6/2022 at 12:20 PM, bigzary123 said:

does anyone know what software they are using to test these drives??

CrystalDiskInfo was the one i was looking for

• 1 year later...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155895260421

Hi LTT, I'm a student on a budget and I'm diving into building my first DIY NAS, mainly for Plex. While I'm not a computer-building pro, I'm eager to learn. I'm thinking of purchasing used drives from eBay and I'd appreciate some advice. Here's the drives I'm considering. Any red flags or standout issues that anyone notices?

Thanks