MSI ventus 3090 keeps ramping fans to 100% for no reason

Origami Cactus

So when I hit the gpu core with a 100% utilization it just ramps the fan1 up to 100%, even if the hotspot temp, memory temp, gpu core temp are all completely fine.

WHY?

image.png.e0c3d79b05b719e6141a28aa4372962b.pngimage.png.eb5d5d49ab659d9e2e453b480d722970.png

Here is a screenshot of it happening, you can see that both fans are ramped to 100%, even tho I used a custom fan curve in MSI afterburner. It only happens in some workloads, not others. And for a few seconds at a time.

I have updated the GPU firmware to get the resizable bar support, I don't think it did that before that.

Here is a GPU z reading, it shows PefCap reason thermal, but nothing is overheating? Is some part of the gpu die hitting t-junc max and it is causing that? Because the hotspot is completely fine, it is 7c under the max that is fine.

Found this thread, but with no solution:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/rtx-2080-ti-ventus-fan-problems.331462/

Yes, my gpu is also vertically mounted, but IO is pointed downwards, and many NZXT h1 users have used the ventus with success.

I got this card used, maybe I should change the thermalpads/ thermal paste? Or change the shroud for 2x Noctua 120 slim fans? But reported temps are fine, that is my main issue.

OK, temporary fix that seems to have done it. I have to lower my power limit all the way down to 65%, and then overclock it to get the lost performance back:

image.thumb.png.a5436045b3030677d5ad07c2220ba56c.png

If I go even with 70% power limit it seems to hit some kind of tempperature limit, even tho hotspot is not actually hot.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.