Need help with picking out parts for a server.

Go to solution Solved by Bersella AI,

Since Minecraft relies most on one-core boost, processors like Ryzen 5-5600 or Core i5-12400 (or above) are favorable. Indeed a GPU (even integrated) is not required for a server as it can be managed over remote console, and hence may or may not be a problem; but if needed, then Core (non-F) or Ryzen 7000 series is required.

Also, a stick of 1TB or 2TB NVMe SSD may be preferable for hosting the whole map, and perhaps another one or HDD for backup if desired.

I don't really know why 8 drives/SATA ports or more are needed... Four 16/18 TB drives with RAID 5/RAID Z1 have been a massive setup for anything to store. In any case, with processors above, only X670 boards could have 8 SATA ports, whilst others only have 4/6, so that an expansion card for SATA would be required.

As for memory speeds, it should be fine for picking up DDR4-3200 or above, & they may contribute modestly to overall performance.

For power supply, 400W may be required for 10 HDDs, but 300W or fewer for no more than 4 HDDs (given that each drive draws 20-25W when power-on).

So I’ve been on PcPartPicker for a few weeks now looking for parts that I will use to build my server. I’ll be specific, money isn’t really a problem for me so I could just set the filter to highest $ and select whatever is first. But I’m not sure about what parts I exactly need. Primarily I would want the server to run “Roguelike adventures and dungeons” (a Minecraft mod) for at least 5 players at the same time at 10 chunk render distance. I tried running it on single-player with some stuff removed so I could at least play it on 30fps on my i5-9400F. Unfortunately my old cpu could only run it so good until it starts to stutter 20 seconds in, so my guess would be that I need a VERY powerful cpu. Second is the case, if the CPU is powerful enough to run the game for 5 people at the same time I would need a really good and probably a big cooler to fit into my case, additionally the case would have to have at least 8 3.5” slots in it. Storage shouldn’t be a problem for me except I have to make the server boot on by a ssd and store the rest of the game data on hard drives. Sorry for not mentioning it earlier but having a GPU isn’t really ideal for me so I’d prefer having integrated graphics in the CPU. The motherboard should have 10 6/GBs SATA ports (I can go for 8), and hopefully have at least 128gb capacity for RAM. The RAM shouldn’t be a problem, but the speed at which it operates would be ideal for a big server like that. I’m not sure if PCPartPicker is right about calculating how many watts this PC/server needs but as far as I see a 500w psu would be good. The server would also work as a storage dump for photos or videos. I don’t want a server rack or a shelf, I want it to fit into a pc case so I can at least have it somewhat mobile. I’m not asking to be gifted or sent money, I’m asking for advice for selecting prefect parts for my pc/server.

4 minutes ago, IHTA said:

So I’ve been on PcPartPicker for a few weeks now looking for parts that I will use to build my server. I’ll be specific, money isn’t really a problem for me so I could just set the filter to highest $ and select whatever is first. But I’m not sure about what parts I exactly need. Primarily I would want the server to run “Roguelike adventures and dungeons” (a Minecraft mod) for at least 5 players at the same time at 10 chunk render distance. I tried running it on single-player with some stuff removed so I could at least play it on 30fps on my i5-9400F. Unfortunately my old cpu could only run it so good until it starts to stutter 20 seconds in, so my guess would be that I need a VERY powerful cpu. Second is the case, if the CPU is powerful enough to run the game for 5 people at the same time I would need a really good and probably a big cooler to fit into my case, additionally the case would have to have at least 8 3.5” slots in it. Storage shouldn’t be a problem for me except I have to make the server boot on by a ssd and store the rest of the game data on hard drives. Sorry for not mentioning it earlier but having a GPU isn’t really ideal for me so I’d prefer having integrated graphics in the CPU. The motherboard should have 10 6/GBs SATA ports (I can go for 8), and hopefully have at least 128gb capacity for RAM. The RAM shouldn’t be a problem, but the speed at which it operates would be ideal for a big server like that. I’m not sure if PCPartPicker is right about calculating how many watts this PC/server needs but as far as I see a 500w psu would be good. The server would also work as a storage dump for photos or videos. I don’t want a server rack or a shelf, I want it to fit into a pc case so I can at least have it somewhat mobile. I’m not asking to be gifted or sent money, I’m asking for advice for selecting prefect parts for my pc/server.

I am confused here. You need 8 drives to store game data? Even if its all just 1TB drives, that 8 TB of HDD space, or if you are using Raid 4TB with 4TB redundant. 

I bought a mini PC from Minisforum, and I run 6 Arks servers on it with 64GB of RAM. 

17 minutes ago, IHTA said:

I’d prefer having integrated graphics in the CPU

17 minutes ago, IHTA said:

money isn’t really a problem for me

In that case, I'd suggest the Ryzen 7700 as your CPU. It has a reasonably capable iGPU, 8 cores, 16 threads, a massive performance increase over your ancient i5 but still fairly reasonably priced. Add an X670 mainboard of an A class brand, 2x 16GB of DDR5 RAM, a decent cooler and appropriately sized case and away you go.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Since Minecraft relies most on one-core boost, processors like Ryzen 5-5600 or Core i5-12400 (or above) are favorable. Indeed a GPU (even integrated) is not required for a server as it can be managed over remote console, and hence may or may not be a problem; but if needed, then Core (non-F) or Ryzen 7000 series is required.

Also, a stick of 1TB or 2TB NVMe SSD may be preferable for hosting the whole map, and perhaps another one or HDD for backup if desired.

I don't really know why 8 drives/SATA ports or more are needed... Four 16/18 TB drives with RAID 5/RAID Z1 have been a massive setup for anything to store. In any case, with processors above, only X670 boards could have 8 SATA ports, whilst others only have 4/6, so that an expansion card for SATA would be required.

As for memory speeds, it should be fine for picking up DDR4-3200 or above, & they may contribute modestly to overall performance.

For power supply, 400W may be required for 10 HDDs, but 300W or fewer for no more than 4 HDDs (given that each drive draws 20-25W when power-on).