The audacity of some people

Witherflux

So I'm new here obviously and I came here to see what kind of cpu I should buy for the motherboard I own. For reference i have a gigabyte z590G that matches my build and the amount of people telling me practically  demanding me i "need" to send everything I bought back and upgrade to 13th gen stuff is crazy. Like the thing came out 15 days ago. Like the cpu and the motherboard for new gen stuff is over half my budget alone. I think it's just kind of ridiculous how many people are new gen crazy when we barely even had it. Rant over

You mean this thread?

People have just told you that you'd be better off spending the same amount of money on newer, better hardware. Nobody demanded you should go 13th gen, they listed it as an option alongside 12th gen that would perform better to what you're getting with way older hardware for not that much less money. Also, a grand total of 3 people have replied in that thread at the time of writing. Hardly an earth shattering number.

I get that some of their choice of words is a bit abrasive, which unfortunately isn't exactly uncommon in any type of specialized interest group. But honestly, you shouldn't let it get to you too much. From the looks of it, you seem to have made up your mind already and wanted people to agree with your choice and got upset when they criticized your choice in fairly blunt terms. At least that's how it seems to me. If that's the case, just walk away and do your thing, you don't need anyone's approval. Or alternatively you can take a deep breath, consider their recommendations while ignoring the confrontational tone and maybe end up happier in the long run. Your choice. Also, you have the option of reporting posts to moderators if you feel someone has overstepped a boundary with their conduct.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

2 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

You mean this thread?

People have just told you that you'd be better off spending the same amount of money on newer, better hardware. Nobody demanded you should go 13th gen, they listed it as an option alongside 12th gen that would perform better to what you're getting with way older hardware for not that much less money. Also, a grand total of 3 people have replied in that thread at the time of writing. Hardly an earth shattering number.

I get that some of their choice of words is a bit abrasive, which unfortunately isn't exactly uncommon in any type of specialized interest group. But honestly, you shouldn't let it get to you too much. From the looks of it, you seem to have made up your mind already and wanted people to agree with your choice and got upset when they criticized your choice in fairly blunt terms. At least that's how it seems to me. If that's the case, just walk away and do your thing, you don't need anyone's approval. Or alternatively you can take a deep breath, consider their recommendations while ignoring the confrontational tone and maybe end up happier in the long run. Your choice.

The main thing I wanted was a good cpu recommendation for the board I have. But people automatically say return all your stuff and start over and just go with new gen stuff and I've look on Amazon and bestbuy for the new gen stuff and just for the cpu and motherboard I would want that matches my color scheme would come out to around 1100usd which is just overpriced in my opinion 

Just now, Witherflux said:

The main thing I wanted was a good cpu recommendation for the board I have. But people automatically say return all your stuff and start over and just go with new gen stuff and I've look on Amazon and bestbuy for the new gen stuff and just for the cpu and motherboard I would want that matches my color scheme would come out to around 1100usd which is just overpriced in my opinion 

It only costs that much because you’re making it. A 13600k costs only $300, a good mobo for it between $130-220.

Just now, Witherflux said:

Ok, but you've never really mentioned that you prioritize aesthetics over performance. If you're going to ask in an enthusiast forum, you're more likely to find people who make bang for the buck recommendations rather than focusing on aspects that are unrelated to performance. You asked for high quality and high fps, that's what people based their recommendations on.

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Ok, but you've never really mentioned that you prioritize aesthetics over performance. If you're going to ask in an enthusiast forum, you're more likely to find people who make bang for the buck recommendations rather than focusing on aspects that are unrelated to performance. You asked for high quality and high fps, that's what people based their recommendations on.

Who makes recommendations here that are intended to getting the most use out of the money you might be willing to spend?  It's more about who can spend the $1000 or more on a new graphics card because everyone needs to play games at 50000fps on 24k OLDED displays.

4 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Who makes recommendations here that are intended to getting the most use out of the money you might be willing to spend?  It's more about who can spend the $1000 or more on a new graphics card because everyone needs to play games at 50000fps on 24k OLDED displays.

What?

9 minutes ago, heimdali said:

I honestly don't see that so much from regulars making actual recommendations. What you describe seems more common among people asking for recommendations, because they have e-sports aspirations and believe playing Counter-Strike with stretched 4:3 720p at 500 fps makes them better gamers because Linus told them at some point that more frames = more better regardless of diminishing returns. That, or people who think showing off how much they spent on a computer is impressive.

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

I honestly don't see that so much from regulars making actual recommendations.

What's the last time that someone recommended to go for some used hardware? It's all about new and the latest (ignoring availability) and expensive and I haven't really seen anyone considering that they could get more for their money by buying used.  I'm not saying that buying used would always be a good deal.  I do make recommendations like that and it seems like the idea doesn't actually get through to anyone.  But it's ok, I'm just saying and keep wondering ...

8 minutes ago, heimdali said:

What's the last time that someone recommended to go for some used hardware? 

On 11/4/2022 at 1:10 AM, WWicket said:

With all the new releases hitting and holidays coming up etc., probably worth looking at used mobos+cpu+ram too. Should be some good options circulating. 

What's the last time that someone recommended to go for some used hardware? It's all about new and the latest (ignoring availability) and expensive and I haven't really seen anyone considering that they could get more for their money by buying used.  I'm not saying that buying used would always be a good deal.  I do make recommendations like that and it seems like the idea doesn't actually get through to anyone.  But it's ok, I'm just saying and keep wondering ...

I'm just say availability and prices right now are just way out of my spending budget. I mean maybe in 2 years when I know price steady out and I know that it's a good cpu then yeah ill buy 13th gen stuff.. hell I think the only brand new thing I buy is cars since I know what I'm getting. But for new computer hardware I wouldn't know if it's actually good just from 15 days of the product being out no matter how many tech influencers say its the "best" 

1 minute ago, heimdali said:

So yes, the idea didn't get through.

Oh, definitely. But like Avocado said, it isn't because the community doesn't suggest it 🙃

5 minutes ago, WWicket said:

And thats one of the reasons why I'm going with older gen stuff since they are cheaper on amazon and bestbuy. I'm a very cheap person but still want good stuff and stuff that goes with my nier automata build. 

5 minutes ago, Witherflux said:

I'm just say availability and prices right now are just way out of my spending budget. I mean maybe in 2 years when I know price steady out and I know that it's a good cpu then yeah ill buy 13th gen stuff.. hell I think the only brand new thing I buy is cars since I know what I'm getting. But for new computer hardware I wouldn't know if it's actually good just from 15 days of the product being out no matter how many tech influencers say its the "best" 

You don't know at all what you'll be getting when buying a new car.

When you wait 2 years before buying a CPU that comes out today, you'll buy an entirely outdated CPU.  Same goes for cars.

You can buy used hardware today and save a lot of money ... 🙂  Same goes for cars.

Just now, heimdali said:

You don't know at all what you'll be getting when buying a new car.

When you wait 2 years before buying a CPU that comes out today, you'll buy an entirely outdated CPU.  Same goes for cars.

You can buy used hardware today and save a lot of money ... 🙂

And thats why I went with 10th and 11th gen gear because it saves me money. That means I can buy a new fancy monitor or a new keyboard and mouse

3 minutes ago, WWicket said:

Oh, definitely. But like Avocado said, it isn't because the community doesn't suggest it 🙃

True, though it's more like an exception.

And how many people are asking what used hardware to get after specifying the intended use?

Just now, heimdali said:

True, though it's more like an exception.

And how many people are asking what used hardware to get after specifying the intended use?

Quite a lot of people with smaller budgets.

Like I said all I really wanna know is what cpu would be good with the gigabyte z590G lga1200

2 minutes ago, Witherflux said:

And thats why I went with 10th and 11th gen gear because it saves me money. That means I can buy a new fancy monitor or a new keyboard and mouse

And those who suggested to go for the latest instead aren't wrong.  Wait until black friday or another 1--2 months and get the CPU that came out today.  Saving money when buying a new computer isn't really the way to go.  If you do want to save money, don't buy stuff that is too young and don't buy stuff that is too old for otherwise, you're wasting your money.

CPUs aren't like cars in that not so much goes wrong with them, and you don't need to wait 2 years.

1 minute ago, heimdali said:

And those who suggested to go for the latest instead aren't wrong.  Wait until black friday or another 1--2 months and get the CPU that came out today.  Saving money when buying a new computer isn't really the way to go.  If you do want to save money, don't buy stuff that is too young and don't buy stuff that is too old for otherwise, you're wasting your money.

CPUs aren't like cars in that not so much goes wrong with them, and you don't need to wait 2 years.

Yeah but for me and what I want to do I really don't need to go the big brand new stuff since I really only play overwatch and elden ring 

5 hours ago, Witherflux said:

Like I said all I really wanna know is what cpu would be good with the gigabyte z590G lga1200

Well, I wouldn't know, I buy used hardware and get a lot for my money.  Sure it isn't the fastest I could have, but it's better equipped, more than fast enough for what I need it for, and it's worlds more reliable and lasts longer than any of the hardware I got when I still built my own computers from new parts.  It's even reasonably upgradable with new used hardware.  It's a whole different level of quality which I wouldn't want to afford to buy new, and I don't want to go down from that level, either.

Really?  I haven't seen that much, but it's possible that I simply haven't seen it.  And whereever I look, everyone wants something new.

And you couldn't do that with used hardware, for 1/2 or 2/3 the price of what you payed for your outdated new hardware?  I really don't know.

Really?  I haven't seen that much, but it's possible that I simply haven't seen it.  And whereever I look, everyone wants something new.

New doesn't always mean better and like I said before people with tighter budgets wouldn't want to spend the kind of money it cost to get new stuff

2 minutes ago, Witherflux said:

New doesn't always mean better and like I said before people with tighter budgets wouldn't want to spend the kind of money it cost to get new stuff

Hmm, perhaps I got the wrong impression.  I'll pay some attention to it.