Clear CMOS on front panel?

Go to solution Solved by bmx6454,

yeah, i don't see any reason it wouldn't work for that.

So I started thinking. If PC case has reset button on front panel, would it be possible for me to reconnect the leads from the normal reset sw pins to the Clear CMOS pins? 

I'm thinking maybe not best for everyday use but would make overclocking easier. Just shut down PC disconnect power cable and hold the reset button in for x seconds.

38 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

I'm thinking maybe not best for everyday use but would make overclocking easier. 

It isn't that uncommon for overclocking focused motherboards to have something similar, for example reset CMOS  switch on the back IO panel. Probably for most people seriously into overclocking enough to make use of the feature, the other features on those kinds of boards (EVGA Kingpin models, AsRock Extreme models etc.) make sense anyways.

Using a reset switch should work fine  (though depending on the board, you might have to hold it a while and there could potentially be issues if it is one where you move the jumper to different pins instead of just bridging [depending on what the default bridged position does]).

@bmx6454

Sounds cool, thanks!

8 hours ago, WWicket said:

It isn't that uncommon for overclocking focused motherboards to have something similar, for example reset CMOS  switch on the back IO panel.

Yeah that's what got me thinking and I don't think my Asus B550-E have that but if I can just "hotwire" it I can even make a button anywhere I like. My board has 2 pins i have to short for x seconds with the PC unplugged so yeah. Thanks, yo:

It's possible to do but also remember if the battery or power to the system isn't removed it may not clear, depending on the board of course.
All it would really do is provide a more convenient way of doing it without messing with a jumper.
A two-way switch on the jumper headers would negate the jumper part of it I'd think with the switch's common wire going to the leg used in both positions of the jumper that's used, the two individual sides of the switch being for each side of the header itself, depending on what you want to do.
To make sure I'm clear about it, as an example pins 1-2 for holding settings and pins 2-3 for clearing would make it pin 2 for the wire used by either side of the switch (Common), pin 1 for one side of the switch and 3 for the other side when you'd switch it over via the switch.
That's how I'd do it.
Best of all you woudn't have to sit there to hold it - Just flip the switch and come back whenever you're ready to switch it back.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

8 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

It's possible to do but also remember if the battery or power to the system isn't removed it may not clear, depending on the board of course.
All it would really do is provide a more convenient way of doing it without messing with a jumper.
A two-way switch on the jumper headers would negate the jumper part of it I'd think with the switch's common wire going to the leg used in both positions of the jumper that's used, the two individual sides of the switch being for each side of the header itself, depending on what you want to do.
To make sure I'm clear about it, as an example pins 1-2 for holding settings and pins 2-3 for clearing would make it pin 2 for the wire used by either side of the switch (Common), pin 1 for one side of the switch and 3 for the other side when you'd switch it over via the switch.
That's how I'd do it.
Best of all you woudn't have to sit there to hold it - Just flip the switch and come back whenever you're ready to switch it back.

Yeah, I was thinking some more and get a switch, connect that to maybe some cables from an old case and then I don't have to hold it. I'd still have to kill power from the wall but I can reach it from where I sit and maybe put the switch inside the case on the cable management side right inside the door opening so I can just pop the door open and activate it. My front panel is hinged to and it's not exactly a problem to access the pins but sounds to me like a cool and easy mod lol.

I don't need to remove the battery though (thank PC god).... in order to remove that I thiink I need to remove the graphics card hehe... Thanks for your input! 😄 

Only worry I'd have would be about the battery making it hold settings but you could set that up with a switch too to control it's connection to the board.
If it turns out the battery being in is causing an issue for clearing it, a simple on/off switch wired to a remotely wired battery holder can do it.
Turn it on the establish battery power and turn it off to "Disconnect" the battery.

You can rob a CMOS battery holder from any old/dead board by unsoldering it from the donor board and soldering a pair of wires to it's connector pins on the bottom of the holder once it's removed, then just wire/solder a single wire from it to the switch - Yes, you'd only need a single wire to the switch itself to make/break the connection.

You could then connect both wires to the holder in the board itself with one straight from the remote battery holder, the other from the switch that's connected to the other side of the circuit from the remote battery holder to control it with, using the switch as an in-line connection interrupt for that side of it.

However I'd only do all that if keeping the battery in causes such a problem but that's how you can get around the problem if it has one with it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

44 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Only worry I'd have would be about the battery making it hold settings but you could set that up with a switch too to control it's connection to the board.
If it turns out the battery being in is causing an issue for clearing it, a simple on/off switch wired to a remotely wired battery holder can do it.
Turn it on the establish battery power and turn it off to "Disconnect" the battery.

-snip-

On Asus ROG boards you do not need to remove the battery, simply short the pins. Well atleast on those I have worked with.

Most ROG boards are good like that.
Asus boards in fact are good overall about clearing out and also good about being forced into a default boot. All that's about is getting it to boot with default settings as it should with a failed boot - Which is how you do it.

Just press and hold the power button until it cuts back off and do it again for about three times, then press the button once more and let it go to get the "Overclocking failed" message.
You should get the Press F1 prompt to enter the BIOS for resetting your BIOS settings, that's all there is to it.
Asus boards are good about doing that but others aren't so much with some that won't do it at all, requiring CMOS clearing just to get going again.

12 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Most ROG boards are good like that.
Asus boards in fact are good overall about clearing out and also good about being forced into a default boot. All that's about is getting it to boot with default settings as it should with a failed boot - Which is how you do it.

Just press and hold the power button until it cuts back off and do it again for about three times, then press the button once more and let it go to get the "Overclocking failed message.
You should get the Press F1 prompt to enter the BIOS for resetting your BIOS settings, that's all there is to it.
Asus boards are good about doing that but others aren't so much with some that won't do it at all, requiring CMOS clearing just to get going again.

Yeah I like the Asus boards for their BIOS and the simplicity of things. Their budgety options arent perfect but.. heh if they were nobody would buy they enthusiast stuff right? 😛 

Thanks for that tip, I didn't realize it reset settings. I figured it just forced me to go into BIOS. Cool.

All it does is use the board's defaults for recovery so it will boot.
After you go into the BIOS you can set things however you want, F10 and go with it.

Do it all the time whenever I'm running something on Ln2 and the like.
Makes recovery quick and easy if it works - And normally it does instead of wasting time messing around as the Ln2 level in the pot goes down AND the ice is building up around the pot largely because the machine not running.
If it's not running that means my Inferno heater plate is off and not keeping the ice from building up around the socket.... Which isn't good.

35 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

All it does is use the board's defaults for recovery so it will boot.
After you go into the BIOS you can set things however you want, F10 and go with it.

Do it all the time whenever I'm running something on Ln2 and the like.
Makes recovery quick and easy if it works - And normally it does instead of wasting time messing around as the Ln2 level in the pot goes down AND the ice is building up around the pot largely because the machine not running.
If it's not running that means my Inferno heater plate is off and not keeping the ice from building up around the socket.... Which isn't good.

Only done that once. I started up my PC, turned off because I forgot to connect whatever it was, on again and off....realized I forgot something else..... and once more. 😅

I think there was an NVMe I forgot about.... PCIe cables.... and something... 🤯

Forced me to go into BIOS, hadn't changed any settings yet but yeah that sounds reasonable to do when need to reset on ln2 for sure.